Food add ons?!?!?

flkjr2

Nov 24, 2012
Florissant, Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
Hello everyone! I'm going to be feeding Z Nature's Variety Instinct and was wondering how much and how often to use yogurt. I decided i would like to try it for digestion benefits. I ordered Grizzly's Salmon oil which should be here today. Should i add anything else?? I don't want to get to crazy because im sure NVI has alot for him anyway.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I suggest you hold off on the yogurt. You want a low calcium diet for your puppy and yogurt has lots of calcium. If you look at adult dog food versus puppy dog food, you will see that puppy formula has lower calcium. Adding yogurt to puppy formula negates the balance.

That said, if your puppy has digestion problems, you can analyze what's causing it... It can be an allergic reaction to the food, stress, parasites, or a specific ingredient in the food that your dog is overloading on. You will need to try to figure out what's wrong.

In any case, unless your puppy is exhibiting nutritional deficiencies, it is best to just go with the dog kibble and training treats until he gets older.

OP
flkjr2

flkjr2

Nov 24, 2012
Florissant, Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
I suggest you hold off on the yogurt. You want a low calcium diet for your puppy and yogurt has lots of calcium. If you look at adult dog food versus puppy dog food, you will see that puppy formula has lower calcium. Adding yogurt to puppy formula negates the balance.

That said, if your puppy has digestion problems, you can analyze what's causing it... It can be an allergic reaction to the food, stress, parasites, or a specific ingredient in the food that your dog is overloading on. You will need to try to figure out what's wrong.

In any case, unless your puppy is exhibiting nutritional deficiencies, it is best to just go with the dog kibble and training treats until he gets older.

Thanks for info!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for info!

I have another suggestion... Give your puppy to me and I'll take care of him and do my best to give him the best care ever...

... I'm so loving your puppy's pic...

OP
flkjr2

flkjr2

Nov 24, 2012
Florissant, Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
I have another suggestion... Give your puppy to me and I'll take care of him and do my best to give him the best care ever...

... I'm so loving your puppy's pic...

Lol..Thanks alot! Cant wait to pick him up this weekend!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
When they were puppies I just gave them tiny bits of everything on a few occasions. I think its important not to overwhelm their systems at first.

The first thing I tried with Linus was pumpkin .... and he acted like it was crack!! :blink:

Then every few weeks I would give him something else as a little topping to his food ................ natural yogurt, cottage cheese.

I also gradually introduced the fruit and veggies too.

If you add things on a gradual basis, if he does have a reaction to something you will know what it is!!

OP
flkjr2

flkjr2

Nov 24, 2012
Florissant, Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
When they were puppies I just gave them tiny bits of everything on a few occasions. I think its important not to overwhelm their systems at first.

The first thing I tried with Linus was pumpkin .... and he acted like it was crack!! :blink:

Then every few weeks I would give him something else as a little topping to his food ................ natural yogurt, cottage cheese.

I also gradually introduced the fruit and veggies too.

If you add things on a gradual basis, if he does have a reaction to something you will know what it is!!
Thanks alot i will definitely take that into consideration. I guess i will start with small amounts of the pumpkin to his food while im transitioning him to NVI. The breeder is feeding Purina "something"...

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Thanks alot i will definitely take that into consideration. I guess i will start with small amounts of the pumpkin to his food while im transitioning him to NVI. The breeder is feeding Purina "something"...

Keep him on the Purina for the first few days ... the stress of him moving home is enough. Then make sure you do the gradual transition from the purina tot he new food. I like to gradually increase the new food every three days. My transitions take about 2 weeks!! Then once you've had him on the new food for a good 10 days to 2 weeks and everything is fine, start to play around by adding stuff!!

OP
flkjr2

flkjr2

Nov 24, 2012
Florissant, Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
Keep him on the Purina for the first few days ... the stress of him moving home is enough. Then make sure you do the gradual transition from the purina tot he new food. I like to gradually increase the new food every three days. My transitions take about 2 weeks!! Then once you've had him on the new food for a good 10 days to 2 weeks and everything is fine, start to play around by adding stuff!!
Ok thanks!! :2thumbs:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names

Kazzy is the woman!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.