Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about flying your pet

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Beefy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Question about flying your pet

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    Well I think most airlines have weight limits on pets they allow in the cabin, and there is no way I would put them in the cargo hold, as they may not make the trip alive. Plus there is no way I would drive through Mexico with your bullies either. So I don't know what to tell you. Are you going for vacation or going to move there. If going for vacation I would find a house sitter or pet sitter and keep them safe and sound here.
    I have signed on to work with the school and orphanage on the island. We would be gone for at least 4 months if not longer. My problem with a sitter is that I don;t have anyone who can watch them for that long. I know a guy in Cozumel who could help me with getting the dogs through Mexico, but then I'm still stuck driving through Guatemala. I believe all together that it is a 41 hr trip. Whereas if I could somehow fly them from Houston, it is only a 2 hr flight.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Beefy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    Most airlines will not fly a sedated pet. And most airlines will not fly a snub-nosed dog like English Bulldogs in cargo.

You have one other option besides driving... Fly him on his own private jet. Yep! There are airlines that cater specifically to nothing but pets. Pet Airways is one of them, although I can't tell you if they're any good or if they fly to Honduras.

There are also pet relocation services that will relocate the dog for you complete with health check by a vet and all the legal stuff (some countries require CITES or quarantine).

Just throwing some ideas around...
    I'll check into the flying by jet and the pet relocation stuff. Thank you for the info.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jen74401 View Post
    I have signed on to work with the school and orphanage on the island. We would be gone for at least 4 months if not longer. My problem with a sitter is that I don;t have anyone who can watch them for that long. I know a guy in Cozumel who could help me with getting the dogs through Mexico, but then I'm still stuck driving through Guatemala. I believe all together that it is a 41 hr trip. Whereas if I could somehow fly them from Houston, it is only a 2 hr flight.
    I know what to do!!! Give him to me!!!

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Lois
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Max
    Likes (Received)

My vet said never put a bully in cargo.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Moses
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sometimes you have to fly, well it's that or rehome your family member... there are risks either way. But if you feel that you must fly, there are things you can do to minimize the risk:

-Fly direct... I found a site awhile back that documented all dog flying fatalities. Almost all of these had connecting flights, and it makes sense considering the added stress of moving them around, and who knows how long they are sitting on the flight line or warm room before being reloaded. I am flying to the mainland from Hawaii, but will rent a car and drive the remainder once the plane lands on the West Coast.

-Schedule your flight during night or early morning hours for cooler temps

-Give your dog a chance to get comfortable with the travel crate well before hand, for example, our Moe and Winnie have already established their crates as their new bed... once they establish the crate as a safe secure place, it should help with their stress level during the flight.

-Buy a crate one size larger than needed... this allows for better air flow.

-Make sure the travel crate has ventilation holes on all four sides, some of the commercial ones do, some don't. If you already have one that does not, you can drill additional holes. This decreases the chance of losing ventilation because they stacked something too close in the loading.

-freeze water in their dish that connects inside the crate door... this ensures access to water after the intial jostling associated with loading.

I ordered a proselect pet crate fan from amazon... I'll let you know how it works once it comes in, it looks promising though as it is thermostat controlled to turn on at a certain temp. I'm going to test it at home first because if the noise of the fan turning on stresses and scares him, it may be doing more harm than benefit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads