Sleeping under covers

GraceMom

Dec 30, 2012
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
Can anyone tell me if it is okay to let Gracie sleep under the covers, when there isn't a lot of air circulating under there? It may sound crazy, but I don't want her to get overheated and have problems breathing, like in the heat. :rolleyes::tongue:;)

OP
GraceMom

GraceMom

Dec 30, 2012
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
Sleeping under the covers

Gracie loves to sleep under the bed covers, but I'm afraid she'll overheat, so I make her come out after awhile. Is it possible for her to overheat, as if she's in the sun? :rolleyes: :smoochwink:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Re: Sleeping under the covers

I would say she could overheat and not worth taking the risk.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
That's a good question.

I'm thinking about it right now and just from logical reasoning I'm thinking of these things:
1.) If the bulldog is by himself under the covers (no extra body heat from somebody else) it's probably okay because then he can take out the covers if he gets hot.
2.) If it's the middle of summer, probably not a good idea.
3.) If I'm hot under the covers, then it would definitely be too hot for the dog.
4.) Is he choosing to go under the covers, or did I put it on him?

That said... I'm not sure what the answer is...

My dogs sleep in their crates with the door open. If they get too hot, they would move. In winter, I put a blanket on the wire crate to cover 3 sides and the top because their crates are right next to the ginormous cold window. But, I've never had a dog sleep under the covers... even when they sleep on my bed.

I'd be interested in some more responses to this thread...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So strange..Banks has recently started doing this and we have no idea why... She did overheat one night and we since have started pulling her out and not letting her under. even stranger she only does it at bedtime not during they day or during naps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda does this too! She always tries to burrow under the covers with me. I make her at least put her face out, I'm worried about her breathing. I usually just pull her back out until she gives up hahaha

OP
GraceMom

GraceMom

Dec 30, 2012
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
Thanks so much for everyone's reply. I think I'll keep her on the covers instead. Have a peaceful and Bullie snoring night :)

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Otis loves to get under the covers. He will go down to the bottom of the bed at our feet. I tell my husband as long as he is snoring I guess he is alright.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tate loves sleeping under covers too but i'm always worried of suffocation so i don't let him do it for too long.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
The only bully I've had that would go under the covers was Maggie ... and she only did that during the winter nights when the temps were well below freezing. Then sometime during the night she'd wake me up and I'd hold up the blanket next to me so she'd walk underneath them. Then she'd turn herself around and snuggle up between my body and my arm ...then she'd sleep with her head on my shoulder and with the blanket covering her up from the neck downwards.

It was the nicest feeling ever and I miss it .... :heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.