Cherry Eye and VPI Insurance

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Has anybody on this forum received a reimbursement from VPI for a cherry eye surgery? They just denial my claim and I was just wondering about everybody elses experiences.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hopefully someone will be along with experience related to the insurance.... I do not carry any at this time so I have no insight.

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
[MENTION=6190]Izzy's Mom[/MENTION] I haven't had to do anything with cherry eye with VPI, however they did just deny a claim when Brutus had explosive :poo: for three days in a row. The vet gave him antibiotics, and meds to help with the :poo: and ran some tests. VPI wouldn't pay a single dollar. Did they say why they denied the claim? We are getting ready to switch to Trupanion which comes pretty highly recommended from both here and from my vet

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I have PetPlan insurance and I did have Otis's cherry eye repaired in both eyes but it was under my $200.00 deductible so I did not submit - I did just submit a claim for his x-rays and glucosomine for limping and I am awaiting the results.

yankee7382

Jul 13, 2012
Flat Rock, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
allie beth
we had vip they dont cover cherry eye for the first year say it is in the fine print of the contract had her eye fix at 5 months old with her spadeing so she was under only once cherry eye cost us 250 $ 5 months later and still good

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
I haven't had any experience with VPI. I have, however, been trying to decide between insurance companies. It sounds like I can mark VPI off the list. That leaves me between Trupanion and United Pet Care. I'm actually leaning towards United. They seem to have a lower monthly premium and offer a set percentage off of vet visits for more things. That's my debate - higher monthly cost for a set $ amount back (if it's covered), or a lower monthly cost and an instant lower price on every visit to the vet... I'm interested in what others have experienced!

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
@Izzy's Mom I haven't had to do anything with cherry eye with VPI, however they did just deny a claim when Brutus had explosive :poo: for three days in a row. The vet gave him antibiotics, and meds to help with the :poo: and ran some tests. VPI wouldn't pay a single dollar. Did they say why they denied the claim? We are getting ready to switch to Trupanion which comes pretty highly recommended from both here and from my vet

I actually just signed up with Trupanion and I was waiting 30 days until it kicks in to cancel VPI. I guess I forgot to read all their fine prints but it's amazing with health insurances when you need something from them it is exactly what is not included in their plan. They are claiming that you need to have VPI for at least 12 months for them to cover cherry eye (????), it makes no sense....

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
[MENTION=4763]LynnA[/MENTION] - you are lucky your vet charged you less than $200 for the cherry eye. Mine was over $400 :(

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I haven't had any experience with VPI. I have, however, been trying to decide between insurance companies. It sounds like I can mark VPI off the list. That leaves me between Trupanion and United Pet Care. I'm actually leaning towards United. They seem to have a lower monthly premium and offer a set percentage off of vet visits for more things. That's my debate - higher monthly cost for a set $ amount back (if it's covered), or a lower monthly cost and an instant lower price on every visit to the vet... I'm interested in what others have experienced!

There are a lot of threads here on pet insurance. You should pay attention to the all the details that I missed when searching for mine. VPI sounds good at first because they offer the wellness plan and reasonable prices but I maxed our on my refunds for wellness after my second visit with Izzy. I would check their benefit schedule and make the best decision according to Lady Guinevere needs.

I am now enrolled with Trupanion so let's see how it goes.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
@LynnA - you are lucky your vet charged you less than $200 for the cherry eye. Mine was over $400 :(

Wow Michelle that is alot, mine was like $70.00 per eye and I had the gland removed in both - cant remember what method you choose. I remember laughing when I got the bill, it was like $199.01 and thinking great, another bill I can't use my insurance for.

This last visit with the x-rays came in at $504.36 so I am looking forward to being able to use the insurance. I have the $200.00 deductible, then 80%

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Gunny's was about $150 per eye, but we it would have been a bit more if we hadn't done it at the same time as neutering. We have Trupanion. He was 7 months when we had it done. We have zero deductible and they covered 90% plus half the blood work (we paid the other half because of the neutering), all the meds.

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
[MENTION=6190]Izzy's Mom[/MENTION] VPI makes me so angry! I hear it's really hard to cancel too :( The only thing they have ever paid for with us, are the preventative things

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
[MENTION=4763]LynnA[/MENTION] - I chose to stitch back in. I have a feeling that my vet is Doctor Hollywwod... holy moly... he over charged me for that one :( The vet recommendation came from the breeder and I do trust him but I think I might save him for special occasions only. I am glad I didnt use him when spaying her otherwise it would had been another crazy bill.

[MENTION=5475]Gunny B[/MENTION] - I just got trupanion with $100 deductible and 90% coverage so let's hope it will work on our behalf. Did you chose bulldog for Gunny or English Bulldog?

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
@Izzy's Mom VPI makes me so angry! I hear it's really hard to cancel too :( The only thing they have ever paid for with us, are the preventative things

It shouldnt be hard to cancel it, I just went on my online profile and you can cancel it from there. Now let's hope they follow through with the cancelation and dont continue to charge my credit card but I even received an email confirming cancelation of my policy this morning.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
@LynnA - I chose to stitch back in. I have a feeling that my vet is Doctor Hollywwod... holy moly... he over charged me for that one :( The vet recommendation came from the breeder and I do trust him but I think I might save him for special occasions only. I am glad I didnt use him when spaying her otherwise it would had been another crazy bill.

@Gunny B - I just got trupanion with $100 deductible and 90% coverage so let's hope it will work on our behalf. Did you chose bulldog for Gunny or English Bulldog?

I hope the stiched method works for you, my vet wouldnt even go that route.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online