ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We're hoping to take our adopted bulldog on road trips with us. Can you give us any advice about traveling with one of these dogs? I showed my bullmastiff and loved traveling with him to shows. It's got to be easier to take a dog that doesn't weigh 140 pounds!:)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Traveling with bullies is a peace of cake. They love to ride in the car. We have taken ours on several trips, from Texas to Florida and Georgia. We either put them in a crate or harness them in and tether them to a seat belt or to a hook in the car. This keeps them safe in case you have an accident. We always take toys for them, extra water and food, plenty of towels, paper towels, baby wipes, and doggie poop pickup bags. We have had 3 in the car at one time and have traveled with pups also. So take your bully and have a blast, because he sure will.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
We've always traveled with all our guys and the bullies are no expection. They do great when in the car, mostly sleep. I think David covered the same things we always take. Maybe keep benedry with you too in case of a bite or allergies if you're traveling far. We travel in an F450 and Mike built a platform on to fit on the console so that Wilson or Emma can sit on it. Bullies travel just the same as other dogs. :2thumbs:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
good question [MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION]. The farthest I've travelled w/my boys is about 120miles RT. I'd like to do a longer road trip with them too. I do find that they sleep a lot while in the car and frequent pit stops are a must to stretch the legs and go potty.

OP
ChrisRN

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Thanks, guys! We're bring her home this weekend--a 3 and 1/2-hour drive. That may give us an idea about how she'll travel. We think she'd rather be with us than a pet sitter!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I just have one thing to add to the already great experiences provided. We travel with our dogs too. We went 900 miles one way once!

One thing to be careful about with the bulldog is the temperature. We travelled in the middle of summer once with Bullie in a crate in the back of the SUV. It got too hot for her that we had to move her to sit with the kids closer to the vents. So, the next time we travelled, we put one of those window shades for babies on the back windows and put ice-packs wrapped in ziploc bags underneath her pillow. We had more ice packs in a cooler to swap out. Last Christmas, we travelled without the ice-packs but kept the window shades. They could still get too hot from the sun cooped up in the heated car. I live in the South, though, so I don't know if they could get too cold up North in winter time... I think too cold is easier to deal with because you can crank up the heat in the car or wrap the crate with thick blanket. The ice packs in the summer was quite a challenge...

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Just dont plan to go to far to quick, cause EVERYONE will want to visit with the bullies :) :) :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I echo a lot of the advice given..... our guys both traveled well. Banks does not really like the car, er she HATES it, but she was a good girl anyway.

Nitschke went to the Grand Canyon with us... two weeks on the road and he was awesome. Banks has been to Chicago many times and also did well

Don Giovani

Dec 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovani
Hi ! We took Giovani to our first trip this Xmas! 15 hours from the South of Spain to France! He just loved it! We did stop every 2 and half hour - 3 hours for him to walk, drink and pee !!! But most of the time we could just hear him SNORING louder than the radio! Lot of Fun! Enjoy!!!:2thumbs:

OP
ChrisRN

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Thanks, guys! You've given me a lot of great ideas. Most of the time we'll be up here, but we do go to visit our kids in Dallas. They're going to want to meet Mabel!

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Good to hear they travel so well. We are thinking of taking a vacation in September and after looking at places to board Rumble I decided I just couldn't leave him. It looks like he will be making the trip from Oklahoma City to Maryville, TN in September when he is 11 months old. Hopefully all goes well! In the meantime we are going to start taking him for more and more car rides to get him used to it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.