pros and cons on neutering.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
As most have stated this comes down to what your feelings are, but I will share my experience with you, hoping to ease your anxiety.

I have a very sweet 1 year old EB. Like you, I had no plans to breed or show him and was also undecided about when to neuter. My vet suggested 6 months and said the growth issue really only applies to large breeds like Mastiffs, Great Danes, etc....

I made my decision after reading How to Raise the Perfect Dog by Cesar Milan (aka The Dog Whisperer). His philosophy towards neutering is to do it when they are still young. This will eliminate the frustrations that are engrained in their DNA to breed. These frustrations will cause personalities changes making them territorial, dominant, challenging, etc,,,Also keep in mind that younger dogs usually go through the procedure better.

As I said, my boy is a real sweetheart and I did not want to risk his sweet personality changing as he approached adolescence. I certainly didn't want him to become frustrated, hiking all the time and marking his territory, so I had him neutered at 6 months. It went well and I have no regrets. He is just as sweet as ever!

Enjoy your baby! They are the best!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Remi has been neutered for only 3 weeks now and the change is ridiculous. When he neared the 6 month mark all he did was hump me on the couch and express some aggression when corrected.

Now he is super affectionate and agreeable. Not everything is a fight with him. Maybe this is totally a coincidence and coincides with his one obedience training class, but I spend copious amounts of time with him and he seems gentler some how. My husband however does not notice a difference, but he only spends a few hours a night on most days. I'll keep updating.

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Remi has been neutered for only 3 weeks now and the change is ridiculous. When he neared the 6 month mark all he did was hump me on the couch and express some aggression when corrected.

Now he is super affectionate and agreeable. Not everything is a fight with him. Maybe this is totally a coincidence and coincides with his one obedience training class, but I spend copious amounts of time with him and he seems gentler some how. My husband however does not notice a difference, but he only spends a few hours a night on most days. I'll keep updating.

Thats great info ... Storys like this make me want to get him snipped the next available appointment lol! He doesnt show aggression etc but everythin seems to be a fight atm with him! He always tries to be boss! X

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Weve come to a decision to get him done soon before he gets into any bad habits for our skin babys sake especially if he mounts or humps him when hes crawlin or shows signs of aggression. Gonna ring the vets tomorro x

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Wow, this seems to be a hot topic here. I'll add my own experience for what it is worth.

Winston was about 6 months old when he developed Demodex Mange. The very word mange makes me cringe- I always envision Chupacabras. After a nice long discussion with the vet, we decided to neuter Winston for these reasons.

The stress of the hormones just starting to flow in his body were what likely allowed the mangey parasites to take hold and bloom. Adolescence is a stressful time not only mentally, but physically as well. Neutering the dog helps lessen that stress and keeps him healthier, at least in the near future. He's grown to be a beautiful, healthy bulldog two years later. We think his head might be a little smaller than a lot of the dogs pictured here, and maybe that is due to the lack of his testacles, but his Dad had a small head and long legs too. He most definitely was not neutered!

Neutering also calmed him down A LOT. No longer did he try to challenge us for pack leadership, but he just settled down and played and went about the business of being a dog. No more humping, no more growling, no more jumping up and scratching our legs. (We were always more scratched than bitten during his puppyhood.)

We had originally considered breeding him when we got him, but as he grew we realized that while he's pretty damn healthy for a bulldog he wasn't ever going to be a grand champion and there were plenty of other daddy bulldogs out there to take care of the job without him. In the end, we neutered him for his own health, and I haven't regretted the decision yet. :)

Last edited:
OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Thanks for your input too @TracyT its worth a lot more than ul ever know :2thumbs: i needed all the help i could get on this topic and all i guys have really contributed and helped so much. I appreciate it so much. Ive noticed after things u have all said meeko has shown signs the same such as trying to be pack leader and has started chewing toys and showing signs of frustration terribly. His 'lipstick' as i call it keeps comin out too and he arches his back up as if hes ready to hump so im going to stop it before he starts it lol. Im goin to ring the vets first thing in the morning.. Watch this space for a day/time and if it calms him down at all! ... Thanks again everybody :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.