pros and cons on neutering.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Sorry if its been posted a million times and ive posted in the wrong section im rubbish and still learning (i really should start using my ipad rather than phone for this site!!)

Anyway. I kno about calming males down but Meeko doesnt hump or chew (except his toys recently lol) and he isnt over active or mark his territory yet at 7months. I read somewhere else saying not to get them done til theyr older as it stunts their growth?! So what really are the positives and negatives on neutering if he is already well behaved and not given the chance to get frisky with random females.
Whats your opinions personally? To de-ball males or not lol. Im having a tough time deciding and if its no benefit to him in anyway i wonder should i bother?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm interested in this too. We decided to pay extra for full AKC registration with Blue not because we want to breed him, but because we're going to wait to neuter until he's about 2 years old. If "he" were a "she" I'd do it before first heat, but with males- I'm not sure what the benefits are, at least to neuter very young.
I have read that it can cause Prostate problems in later years, but that's all I know.

It turns out I'm bringing him home Sunday. I also made a Vet appointment with him for Tuesday (the vet does house calls, sooo happy) so will discuss this issue with her as well.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Some say that males don't develop fully untill 18 months. And females also don't develop completely until their 2nd -3rd heat. This is very debatable and ultimately the choice is yours. I strongly recommend fixing your pet by 24months. Animals left intact run very high risk of developing all types of cancers! Females bleed and get messy when in heat and I honestly have never met any breed of male dog that was intact that did not hump. Your guy may not do it yet but he also is only 7 months and may be slow bloomer!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Other than the things you already mentioned, the only other thing that they are at risk for if not spayed or neutered is that, they can wander or run off when in heat, which puts them at risk for getting lost or getiing hit by a car. Also they are at greater risk of developing different cancers when not spayed or neutered.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ok! There are many opinions on this. My vet says its a myth about neutering them earl and stunting growth. But she did say..If he is behaving himself, and you want to wait a bit, do what you are comfortable with. We had Jake done at 10 months. I just think you don't want him developing any bad habits..and if he's a good boy...feel free to wait a bit. But...by all means..get him neutered!

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Oooh now im even more baffled on what to do lol. We are definatly getting him neutered its just deciding when to do it! A lady told me before whilst walking meeko her old dog (a rotweiler) used to be calm no behaviour issues then after being neutered he changed for the worst wasnt cuddly anymore or sociable and even started being aggressive to dogs and humans and for this she put him to sleep and was telling me not to do it as they dont always calm down and can get worse behaved / aggressive? Is she truthful or talking rubbish?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It is NOT a myth that, since neutering/spaying earlier & earlier, bone cancers
have increased many times over especially w/large breed dogs and slow maturing
breeds. Many Vets are now advising to WAIT until maturity for these dogs since it is
thought their bones ARE NOT FULLY developed and puts them at increased risks.

Since you do have the time and Meeko is being well behaved, investigate the subject
and decide for yourself. Good luck and GOD bless!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Yes, all that stunted growth or changing their personality or humping and marking those are all myths. And the things like lesser chance of cancer - well, duh, if you don't have balls, you can't get cancer of the balls. But, the chances of them getting cancer with their balls intact is not significantly higher that it would offset the risks of the health risk of the neutering/spaying process itself when you're dealing with the breathing issues/allergies/general health condition of bulldogs that is exarcerbated during surgery.

And the dog behavior is more a product of his training and natural personality than his neutering or lack thereof. But, it is true that an intact male is more territorial than an altered male. Also, an intact female has the natural tendency of wanting to roam when in heat. Of course, if you're the alpha "dog", these types of behavior issues can be avoided by proper training.

Okay, so, that said, why neuter and when to neuter? You neuter simply for the fact that you don't want to have even a 0.0001% chance of getting unwanted babies. That's it. Now, spaying is a different matter. The procedure is more invasive but not doing the procedure is also a lot more responsibility. A girl in heat requires a lot more maintenance so there's more added incentive besides just eliminating the even miniscule chance of having unwanted babies.

When to neuter... 6 months old is standard - both males and females. English Bulldogs mature later than most dog breeds so you might have balls that hasn't dropped yet so you might have to wait a while for the males. No, neutering/spaying at 6 months old won't make the dog smaller. No, it won't make the dog cuter. No, it won't change his personality.

That said... I have 2 intact males and a spayed female (spayed before we got her). And here's some mythbuster things about my 3 dogs - the spayed female is the one that humps. By the way, humping is an act of dominance - so even females who want to establish dominance will hump, altered or not. The one intact male has terrible separation anxiety issues so he would mark everywhere when left alone. He doesn't mark at all when we're around. The other intact male neither humps nor marks. He's the super omega dog.

So then we had a German Shepherd mix that I babysat for a while. He's intact too. The first time he walked in the house, he got in a fight with my intact male bulldog who is the omega dog that got territorial. I'm not the alpha in my household. I'm a wimp, actually. My husband, who is the alpha dog was out. So, I had to separate the dogs in separate sides of the house. So, the next morning, my husband took the dogs out and there was not a single bark or growl from both dogs. He leaves the house and the dogs remained behaved and played together like old buddies.

Okay, before my husband and I got married, he had 2 intact male dobermans. Now, if you know dobermans, they are quite the protective breed. Those dogs got in a fight a few times when they hit puberty so much so that we had to spend $800 on stitches for both dogs! But, with my husband's consistent training, he was able to get those dogs to play nice with each other so that when we got married, those two dogs were the sweetest dogs even with me, the wimp, taking care of them.

Now, my friend has 4 dobermans, 1 pitbull and 1 boxer. 2 males 4 females all altered. She spent over $1,000 on stitches when they ended up fighting too but she established pack hierarchy soon enough and everybody except the boxer gets along great. The boxer, though, had more psychological issues that she had to remain separated from the rest. Now, this shows that it doesn't matter if the dogs are altered or not - their personalities does not change. An aggressive dog will be aggressive, an omega dog will be omega. A dog with psych problems will still have psych problems.

So, if I ever make one teeny bitty mistake and my intact dogs get out and impregnate another dog (my neighbor has 2 intact female boxers), there is nobody to blame but me and I need to be scourged for it.

And that's my thoughts on the matter.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
It is NOT a myth that, since neutering/spaying earlier & earlier, bone cancers
have increased many times over especially w/large breed dogs and slow maturing
breeds. Many Vets are now advising to WAIT until maturity for these dogs since it is
thought their bones ARE NOT FULLY developed and puts them at increased risks.

Since you do have the time and Meeko is being well behaved, investigate the subject
and decide for yourself. Good luck and GOD bless!

You'll have to show a source for this one. There is no pathological connection between spaying/neutering and bone cancer. Not a single one.

Bone issues are likely caused by improper diet causing unbalanced growth than anything else.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes, all that stunted growth or changing their personality or humping and marking those are all myths. And the things like lesser chance of cancer - well, duh, if you don't have balls, you can't get cancer of the balls. But, the chances of them getting cancer with their balls intact is not significantly higher that it would offset the risks of the health risk of the neutering/spaying process itself when you're dealing with the breathing issues/allergies/general health condition of bulldogs that is exarcerbated during surgery.

And the dog behavior is more a product of his training and natural personality than his neutering or lack thereof. But, it is true that an intact male is more territorial than an altered male. Also, an intact female has the natural tendency of wanting to roam when in heat. Of course, if you're the alpha "dog", these types of behavior issues can be avoided by proper training.

Okay, so, that said, why neuter and when to neuter? You neuter simply for the fact that you don't want to have even a 0.0001% chance of getting unwanted babies. That's it. Now, spaying is a different matter. The procedure is more invasive but not doing the procedure is also a lot more responsibility. A girl in heat requires a lot more maintenance so there's more added incentive besides just eliminating the even miniscule chance of having unwanted babies.

When to neuter... 6 months old is standard - both males and females. English Bulldogs mature later than most dog breeds so you might have balls that hasn't dropped yet so you might have to wait a while for the males. No, neutering/spaying at 6 months old won't make the dog smaller. No, it won't make the dog cuter. No, it won't change his personality.

That said... I have 2 intact males and a spayed female (spayed before we got her). And here's some mythbuster things about my 3 dogs - the spayed female is the one that humps. By the way, humping is an act of dominance - so even females who want to establish dominance will hump, altered or not. The one intact male has terrible separation anxiety issues so he would mark everywhere when left alone. He doesn't mark at all when we're around. The other intact male neither humps nor marks. He's the super omega dog.

So then we had a German Shepherd mix that I babysat for a while. He's intact too. The first time he walked in the house, he got in a fight with my intact male bulldog who is the omega dog that got territorial. I'm not the alpha in my household. I'm a wimp, actually. My husband, who is the alpha dog was out. So, I had to separate the dogs in separate sides of the house. So, the next morning, my husband took the dogs out and there was not a single bark or growl from both dogs. He leaves the house and the dogs remained behaved and played together like old buddies.

Okay, before my husband and I got married, he had 2 intact male dobermans. Now, if you know dobermans, they are quite the protective breed. Those dogs got in a fight a few times when they hit puberty so much so that we had to spend $800 on stitches for both dogs! But, with my husband's consistent training, he was able to get those dogs to play nice with each other so that when we got married, those two dogs were the sweetest dogs even with me, the wimp, taking care of them.

Now, my friend has 4 dobermans, 1 pitbull and 1 boxer. 2 males 4 females all altered. She spent over $1,000 on stitches when they ended up fighting too but she established pack hierarchy soon enough and everybody except the boxer gets along great. The boxer, though, had more psychological issues that she had to remain separated from the rest. Now, this shows that it doesn't matter if the dogs are altered or not - their personalities does not change. An aggressive dog will be aggressive, an omega dog will be omega. A dog with psych problems will still have psych problems.

So, if I ever make one teeny bitty mistake and my intact dogs get out and impregnate another dog (my neighbor has 2 intact female boxers), there is nobody to blame but me and I need to be scourged for it.

And that's my thoughts on the matter.

:tease:

You again!!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names

And the world is right as rain again. :D

By the way, your avatar is getting me confused... I thought you only had one bully. Am I getting old-age-syndrome or did you get a brother for Jake?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
And the world is right as rain again. :D

By the way, your avatar is getting me confused... I thought you only had one bully. Am I getting old-age-syndrome or did you get a brother for Jake?

Thats Dena Dawg...we had her before Jake..She hates him! :laugh: She's Rottie/Sharpei mix ...a true pound puppy..and a great girl.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online