Thread: pros and cons on neutering.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: pros and cons on neutering.

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    NO! Not that one! The one with the head smacking the wall one!

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post

And the world is right as rain again.

By the way, your avatar is getting me confused... I thought you only had one bully. Am I getting old-age-syndrome or did you get a brother for Jake?

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

And the world is right as rain again.

By the way, your avatar is getting me confused... I thought you only had one bully. Am I getting old-age-syndrome or did you get a brother for Jake?
    Thats Dena Dawg...we had her before Jake..She hates him! She's Rottie/Sharpei mix ...a true pound puppy..and a great girl.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

You'll have to show a source for this one. There is no pathological connection between spaying/neutering and bone cancer. Not a single one.

Bone issues are likely caused by improper diet causing unbalanced growth than anything else.

Because this is one of the 'hot buttons' of animal lovers and also personal opinion, I ended my answer to the
    original poster to 'research and decide for yourself'...as I did and encourage everyone to do so.

Dr Alice Villalobos, a well known pioneer in the field of cancer care, a veterinary oncologist who in 1977,
    established a rescue organization, Peter Zippi Fund For Animals and advocated early spay/neuter, is but one
    of many to reverse (based on many, many studies and established statistics) this opinion and is quoted....

"What IF we found enough epidemiological evidence that early spay/neuter of dogs may open them orthopedic,
    behavioral, immunologic & oncology issues?"

"It is earth shattering to consider that some of the cancers we have been battling may have been enhanced by
    early spay/neuter instead of the reverse."

She is also saying that cancer IS NOT the only adverse reaction that can be caused by doing so.

I could provide many resources but again, everyone should research this for themselves and do what THEY think
    best for all concerned...I am not advocating NO spay/neuter just waiting until dogs finish puberty and that is only
    my opinion. I'm not interested in telling anyone what to do about anything, lol

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post

Because this is one of the 'hot buttons' of animal lovers and also personal opinion, I ended my answer to the
    original poster to 'research and decide for yourself'...as I did and encourage everyone to do so.

Dr Alice Villalobos, a well known pioneer in the field of cancer care, a veterinary oncologist who in 1977,
    established a rescue organization, Peter Zippi Fund For Animals and advocated early spay/neuter, is but one
    of many to reverse (based on many, many studies and established statistics) this opinion and is quoted....

"What IF we found enough epidemiological evidence that early spay/neuter of dogs may open them orthopedic,
    behavioral, immunologic & oncology issues?"

"It is earth shattering to consider that some of the cancers we have been battling may have been enhanced by
    early spay/neuter instead of the reverse."

She is also saying that cancer IS NOT the only adverse reaction that can be caused by doing so.

I could provide many resources but again, everyone should research this for themselves and do what THEY think
    best for all concerned...I am not advocating NO spay/neuter just waiting until dogs finish puberty and that is only
    my opinion. I'm not interested in telling anyone what to do about anything, lol
    I understand what you're saying. My understanding is that this is an information site. So, we're not really in the business of telling anyone what to do about anything unless they ask for our opinion, then they get answers from a giant knowledge base of experience that they have to mull and weigh and research and bounce against known science and their own experiences.

The fact of the matter is that oncology studies in non-humans is sooo relatively sparse that as of today there is not a single conclusive evidence of anything pertaining to the oncological effects of early neutering and spaying of dogs or even the oncological effects of neutering/spaying at any age. Veterinary Science is sadly deficient - I mean, majority of the vets still swear by Science Diet!

But one thing is for certain, a neutered/spayed dog will not contribute to the overflowing animal shelters and abused dogs. Therefore, we should not have to be "scared into" getting our pets neutered/spayed... just like we should not have to be "scared into" overdosing our dogs with too much vaccinations and heartworm meds. If you don't want your dogs to have babies, neuter/spay before he/she becomes sexually mature or take on the big responsibility of guaranteeing at 100% that your intact dogs will not produce babies. Simple as that.
    Last edited by anatess; 01-23-2013 at 03:39 AM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

We neutered our "little" boy when he was just over 2 years old, he never misbehaved, humped legs or went crazy for females in heat so we just waited... I was worried he would not be himself after but he is still the same little big hearted cuddly boy as he's always been The only change I've seen in our boy is the fact that he had more muscles before we neutered him, he is not in any way fat now, he is just not as muscular, which doesn't matter to me as long as he is healthy

We rescued a male and female bulldog (both grown and not neutered) while our little boy was still young. Growing up he and the rescued male started to fight probably due to the fact none of them were neutered...

I personally think if you're not going to breed with your dog, neuter or spay him/her. But after all you know your boy better than anyone and you should do what you feel is right and works for the two of you
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus
    Likes (Received)

We also neutered Ruckus after 2years. We were told to wait because of the whole maturity thing, but We actually had him scheduled twice but he had constipation issues so we had to put it off. ( I think he chickened out lol) Ruckus was never a humper, and he never marked inside. As far as being calmer or less active, we have Lola now and they play hard and sometimes rough, so if Ruckus seems more calm its because he's getting lots of ever use now. Lola was spayed when we found her, but she's the occasional humper.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

i would get him neutered but if you want to wait a bit i dont see the harm. i will say i did not get sarah spayed until she was almost 6 and she developed a severe uterine infection. she was also a much better dog after getting her spayed. her over all health and well being. now i realize she is female but i have 2 bostons who are both spayed and they are fine. nothing changed when it was done. my boston was done at 2 years old so if you want to wait till they 1 or so i dont see whats wrong with that but i will tell you that if they smell a female they will go nutso wanting her. just go with your gut instinct.

Real Name
    Tasha
    Country
    Wales
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meeko
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all your advice & opinions. Im definatly going to get his nuts crushed but i just need to make the decision of sooner or later xx
    Xx.Demari-Jay & Meeko.xX

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Moses
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

My decision to neuter was based primarily on behavior... the humping, marking and dominance associated with intact males. It was at 7 months when Moe started humping the neighbor girl, mother and grandmother, got the whole family in one day, so I made the appointment... I don't know what his behavior would have been if I left him intact, but since the neutering, there has been no humping, he never started marking, and he never tries to dominate other dogs... he gets along with everyone.

I had heard the rumor about them not filling out completely, but Moe turned out to be a very big, full, healthy boy.

It's your choice to make, I'm just sharing my experience

Real Name
    Tasha
    Country
    Wales
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meeko
    Likes (Received)

I think thats what il do maybe wait til he does start missbehaving then get him done if and when he does. He did once attempt to hump my sisters female huskies front paw ..when she was laying down to be exact aha .. Ive got no worries about them havin pups anytime soon if he keeps doin it that way
    Xx.Demari-Jay & Meeko.xX

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ncra6761 View Post
    Thanks for all your advice & opinions. Im definatly going to get his nuts crushed but i just need to make the decision of sooner or later xx
    Don't have much to add since everyone's given you great advice but wanted to say ... nuts crushed ...

"I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads