Bullie puppies on craigslist

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Craigslist is not supposed to be a "Pet for Sale" site. It says it right there on the rules. Yet, today, my local craigslist had 7 different postings of English Bulldog puppy sales.

No, not a rescue puppy... but for sale puppies... ads that go, "5 puppies available... hurry, they go quick!" or "this puppy will be ready to go in 2 weeks!". And boy, all the pictures are super duper cute.

But, if I can't even trust that breeder to pay attention to Craigslist rules, how can I trust that breeder to be a quality breeder and not just a let's-make-some-money-with-these-dogs-in-this-here-backyard...

So, what is this post really about? Well, in my opinion, I don't care if that breeder is a quality breeder, if they post an ad in craigslist, I will tell anybody I know not to buy those puppies.

What do you guys think?

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Criaglist is a horrible place to buy or sell ANY dog

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Agreed! It's just not the acceptable thing to do. And you as a reader of the ads can flag them for removal too. Brings the illicit ads to the operators of CL attention.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They are either from a puppy mill who doesn't care about their pups or a scam.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is probably some type of scam... but either way I would never BUY a living being (dog, cat, fish, etc.) off Craiglist

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
Wife just had a co-worker taken on a EB scam. We tried to warn her, but she said that they are too expensive through a breeder. Now she is out $500 and no bully to hold :nope:

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
I'm just not a fan of Craigslist in general. I don't like the idea of meeting a complete stranger to buy/sell/trade anything, much less a puppy. I've got a co-worker that loves the site though.

samantha2011

Jan 15, 2013
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
samantha and brodie
i would bite, and ask alot of questions, and if u find out its a scam i would post the breeders name for everyone to know

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
The bully I am rescuing was probably used to breed puppies for sale on Craig's List. When they stopped breeding her they turned her over to rescue. She's such a sweet little dog.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I never use Craigslist for the same reason I wouldn't buy a puppy from Craigslist, It's either a scam or someone trying to get rid of damaged goods. Reputable, I don't think so. I don't think that anyone who sells a puppy on Craigslist has any respectability as a breeder

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I HATE craigslist! It is full of scams not just EB's but in general! My local news channel has a classified section and they are full of EB scams!

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I have to admit, I got both my bullies from craigslist. Of course, I don't just pick up any dog from craigslist, and no, they weren't sales. We made several visits and spent time with the owners and the dogs. And both parents asked us tons of questions, wanted to meet our children and even our dog.

Bullie was adopted from a woman who contracted multiple sclerosis. She had Bullie for 3 years, the last 2 years with the disease. It got to the point that she would fall down when Bullie brushed against her legs so she considered the adoption. She had a thick folder full of every single vet visit records since Bullie was born complete with HER FIRST TOOTH! Bullie came with a wardrobe which was all Georgia Bulldogs motiff, and because my husband is a Gator, we ditched them all and replaced them, including her harness! I felt really bad when we took Bullie home because she was crying like crazy. And yes, we found her through craigslist - she had the ad there for 3 months before she finally gave Bullie up. She said she had tons and tons of people come but nobody else made her feel good about the adoption. She started with no rehoming fee and finally put a rehoming fee of $500 just to take the crazies from coming to her house. She was planning to just give us Bullie for free but we didn't feel good about that.

Now, Angus, we got from craigslist too. He was 9 months old and his dad lost his livelihood a few weeks after getting Angus. He owned his own construction business and he had zero projects since! He lasted 7 months before he gave in to have Angus adopted because he was starting to feed Angus anything he can find super cheap - he went without much food himself for a while just so he can feed his dog properly. Poor Angus, when we got him he was so skinny. He didn't have a crate, not even food bowls because he outgrew the ones he had and his dad couldn't afford to buy new ones... His dad still keeps in touch with us until today asking about Angus. He still doesn't have a steady job and he has sold most of his equipment to pay his rent.

Now, why both of them didn't contact a rescue - it never occurred to them! Yep!

So, there can truly be dogs in need of help in craigslist but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack of scummy ads. I look at craigslist mostly for furniture. I'm currently in search of IKEA Expedit shelves that's why I've been scouring craigslist daily.

Last edited:

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I also got Amy off Craigslist. She was a rehome with a $1000 fee to keep away someone who couldn't really afford to take good care of her. She was 4 months old and quite a handful. Her Dad worked from home, but then got a job outside the home. With 2 small children they didn't feel they could properly care for her. We drove from NY to CT and it was love at first sight. They gave us all her paperwork and Amy came from a pet store in CT. She was bred by a suspected puppy mill in KS. But we love her crazy self just the same. Be careful you know what you are getting into.

Her ad was only up for 15 minutes before it was flagged for removal.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.