Proper bully waist line....

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
So I'm curious about the "bully waste line". I know what the standard says bulldogs should weigh but it seems that almost no bulldogs males or females adhere to that. So what does your bully's waste line look like? Pics! Also age, weight, sex. I will get one up when I get to work as I can never figure out how to post a pic from my iPad.

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
My vet says the rule of thumb to go by is: you should be able to feel the ribs, but not see them. It should curve in when the rib cage stops, and before the hips start., that is the waist line.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
viewed from above the waist should be visible. HRH is pretty perfect at 40 to 42 lbs. But she is a small girl.
DSC_0009.jpg

Ribs should be able to be felt but not visible.

Last edited:

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I have heard the same as mentioned above with the ribs being felt but not seen and with the indentation for the waist. I have also heard that there shouldn't be a belly hanging down low of course. :) Tonka is 1.5 and a male and last time we weighed him he was nearly 60 lbs. I don't think he looks too overweight...maybe just a tiny bit of extra padding. We can still see his waist (although the vet said it should be even more pronounced and that he should be closer to the 50 lb. mark!!). I can also feel his ribs but they are not super defined when I feel them...like I said, I think he's got a bit of extra padding he could lose. He has no belly either. It's hard in winter....admittedly, he doesn't get walked as often and we try to be a bit more strict with his treats then.

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
My girl is 10 months and about 50# very solid and compact, alot of bone. She use to have a very pronounced waist not so much any more. It's still there but not as pronounced as some bullies I see when I go to the meet ups. They look like they. Need to eat! I'm an advocate for healthy weight I feed raw. Her upward growth has really slowed down and seems to have started the outward growth and thus the waistline not as pronounced.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Here is a pic of Buddy, age 3 weight 58 lbs. I don't have a pic of the girls from the top, but they all have a waist line. He looks a little sunken in by his rib cage but that's because he is eating, but you get the idea.

IMAG0084_zps882809d4.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
HI, I have 2 EB pups, a male and a female, they are litter mates, and are 10 months old. Their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. My female is 40.5 lbs, and her body is much different than her brothers, she is much more stocky, she has a round body, and her chest is much broader than Dozers. Bulldozer weighs 40 lbs as well, but he has a more muscular body, and seems slimmer than Blossom, his head is also smaller than hers, she has a stockier bull head, and he looks more like a Boxer head. my vet says she likes the way I keep them, they have a well defined waist, and they are stocky and strong, you can feel their ribs , but cannot see them.

Here is some pics of my guys:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 622
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 613
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 555
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 197
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 542
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:

robertbrewer

Dec 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bauer
Bauer is 14 weeks weighs about 21 pounds. Boy can put down his food in about 45 seconds!

Robert

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.