Food change after surgery??

PenelopeRosebud

Sep 26, 2012
Coquitlam, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Rosebud & Bulldozer Bawss
Our newly adopted big, squishy man - Dozer, is in getting neutered right now. He has just been with us 6 days and we are anxious to switch him to a raw diet. Poor guy has been on puppy junk food (some Purina kibble). Should we give his body some recovery time before switching his food or will he benefit right away from good food? I just don't want to shock his system anymore than this surgery will today. Thanks all!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
You should be fine switching to raw immediately. But, if this was my dog, I would wait until he is recovered from surgery just so I know if something is wrong, it's more than likely not the food but the surgery. Makes it a bit simpler.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
If he was mine I would wait about a week or so. Give him time to adapt to his new surroundings fully and of course recover from his neuter. It wouldn't hurt him to wait and could eliminate any added changes.

OP
PenelopeRosebud

PenelopeRosebud

Sep 26, 2012
Coquitlam, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] & [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] I just got word from the vet that the surgery went well and we'll pick up Dozer in a couple hours. I bow to your experience and will keep him on his puppy junk food for one more week.

I'm soooooo relieved the surgery is over and went well. Can't wait to get the big squish home.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] & [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] I just got word from the vet that the surgery went well and we'll pick up Dozer in a couple hours. I bow to your experience and will keep him on his puppy junk food for one more week.

I'm soooooo relieved the surgery is over and went well. Can't wait to get the big squish home.
Oh you're so welcome. Wilson konked out that night he came home and snored the loudest he'd ever snored (of course I recorded him too, lol) The next day he was good to go but I made sure he took it easy for a few days. Give Mr. Squishy a bit :hug:.

Good luck to the raw switch. I admire those that do raw (it's not for my or my lifestyle) but it sure is good for them.

OP
PenelopeRosebud

PenelopeRosebud

Sep 26, 2012
Coquitlam, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] we cheat and buy the raw food prepared from a specialty shop near by. It is my hope to try the various proteins with Dozer (Penelope is alergic to both beef and poultry) and then I will be brave and see if I can make it myself. I don't know we would have gone raw if Penelope's tummy weren't so sensitive. Kibble makes her sick almost every time. It will be nice to not have to lock the pups in separate rooms when they feed. We all want for our babies to enjoy their food and it was rewarding when we switched Penelope to raw to see her finally getting excited about her food and mealtimes.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'll be looking for updates on how Dozer's switch to Raw goes. :) These bullies have the most sensitive tummies at times.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So glad the surgery went well, just try to keep him quite for a few days, and I agree with [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] about the food change, wait about a week then do it slowly.

OP
PenelopeRosebud

PenelopeRosebud

Sep 26, 2012
Coquitlam, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] we made the switch to raw and Dozer is loving every meal. He gave me a few weird looks the first few days when in the middle of the day he'd notice his empty bowl and wonder why he didn't have kibble to graze on. There was immediate changes in his stools and he honestly hardly farts. Penelope is more farty. Dozer has gained one pound in three weeks, but he's also had more exercise than he's ever had. We just learned he has hip dysplacia so will be extra careful with his weight and be sure to keep his muscles strong. The food we buy (Primal) has all the meat, bone, organs, veggies, flax and salmon oils, etc already added so is really no more work than kibble other than remembering to defrost it all the time. We also feed them extra stuff like veggies, fruit, yogurt, pumpkin for snacks. Penelope goes through about 13oz/day and Dozer about 17oz/day. It costs about $50/wk to feed both dogs. I would be brave and grind their food but so far the only protein Penny is not allergic to is lamb and by the time you cost lamb out, the price of a good grinder, etc., I don't feel so motivated.

The change in stool is really quite amazing. Not to get stuck on the poops, but what was once large and sloppy is now half the size, half the frequency and firm. So much better!

So, there's the poop on the raw food change :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.