Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doggie Day Care

Bulldog(s) Names
    BREMBO
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Doggie Day Care

I've had my bulldog at Doggie Daycare since he was 6.5months old (he's 10 months now).

The place I go to is one that I trust dearly. They have a VERY strict interview process and do not allow any food-aggressive dogs, or dogs that are aggressive in general. Their staff is extremely knowledgable and quick to correct dogs that are misbehaving.

Some methods they use for correction are timeouts in the crates, or a quick squirt of some water in the face. Because they only let in non-aggressive dogs, it allows all the dogs to learn proper behavior from eachother with the help of the staff to enforce corrections. My dog ALWAYS wants to play, and will sometimes run and bark at other dogs who won't play with him. Well instead of submitting him until he whimpers, they just place him in the crate for a couple minutes until he lays down, and then he can resume play.

I cannot stress the importance of "proper" socialization enough. I HATE bringing my dogs around my friends dogs because those dogs AREN't socialized, practice a PACK mentality, and are ALL food/treat aggressive. I know my dog helps them to learn better behavior, but if I let him spend too much time with them, HE will start to adopt THEIR behavior. It's like the saying, "you are who you hang out with". Dogs will pick up cues and traits from whoever they are around, so it's important to have other dogs that are calm, relaxed, and non-aggressive.

Best of luck with your search and I do hope you find a place to your liking. Mine is quite expensive, but I couldn't be happier.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Yep, I hear all of you! I don't have any "puppy playmates" in my neighborhood. Two poodles, both scared to death of him, and 2 bishon's who are old and just don't play anymore! I checked out one of the pet parks here in Sarasota. No thanks. Dirty, grungy and not a place I want Bogey. There is a beach dog park that I want to try, but we have red tide right now and I am not exposing him to any of that!

My thought was to bring him only once a week for 3 hours max. The next place I went was so totally different! The lady owner was a charming woman who owns 13 (yes I counted them) minature dachunds (sp?). They lined up against the fence in her yard barking of course, but as soon as she did one quick "shhhhsh", they all shut up! Couldn't believe it!
    She has a large kennel facility with each smaller kennel having either a view of the lake, or a garden, a doggie door to go outside and beautiful property. I could stay there!
    She absolutely fell in love with Bogey, as did her husband who quickly chimed in that Bogey was "his"! They are British and have an unbelievable love of dogs! The Kennel was clean, and cheery. There is a room for puppy playtime and she will socialize Bogey with dogs his size to begin with, although he picked out this HUGE dog to go up to the kennel and sniff!! He will be there for only 3 hours, one of which will be play time, then lunch, nap and then a walk on the property (6 acres). I will be doing this once a week. The other reason for this is that in the fall, I have to fly to Ct twice, both short trips, but Bogey cannot go with me. This way he will have a "home" away from home- something he is used to. I have a feeling the man of the house will be bringing Bogey in with them!!
    So, our trial run is Friday! I think he's going to love it there!!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@mer55 - sounds like a nice place, can't wait to hear how Bogey does
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

Starters Olde english bulldogs where actually the breed used for bullbaiting!!! The "aggression" has been bred out of them n secondly english bulldogs were created by crossing an olde english to a pug!!!!! Hence the numerous health problems our babies r prone to !!!!!!! I'm proud of u I woulda bit his nose n been like OMG I'm so sorry idk what came over me I guess it's that bulldog aggression it's just soooooooo overwhelming lmfao!!!!!!!!! Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

I'm so glad u found a nice place for bogey to go it sounds fun we have one near us that has a web cam app so I could watch her all day if I ever took her there lol I wouldn't work I'd just watch her play so prolly not good!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=porkysmamma;297874]Starters Olde english bulldogs where actually the breed used for bullbaiting!!! The "aggression" has been bred out of them n secondly english bulldogs were created by crossing an olde english to a pug!!!!! Hence the numerous health problems our babies r prone to !!!!!!! I'm proud of u I woulda bit his nose n been like OMG I'm so sorry idk what came over me I guess it's that bulldog aggression it's just soooooooo overwhelming lmfao!!!!!!!!! Hehe

Oh I so agree w/you...I was going to post the exact same thing (great minds think alike, lol).

​Would have added...Ya know...bulldogs OWNERS are bred to be super aggressive to a$$es like you.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    Oh wow you did much better than I would have. He had a lot of gull actually. Sure it may not have been necessarily what he said, but how he said it. It was quite demeaning and a put down of your own intelligence of the breed (weather one's knowledgeable or not), that was not the place for him to be doing that (again in the tone you said he said it). I do not like dog parks at all but I do like doggy day care. I've never taken my guys nor probably never will but I do like them as they're supervision. Did he own the place? If not I'd be contacting the owners.
    He was the owner. I would never leave Bogey with him. His delivery was all wrong, he dismissed me just like he dismissed a dog that was misbehaving, and I just didn't like him. So, he does not get my business, nor would I ever recommend him.
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)

Well, you could always just get another baby bully to keep Bogey company and socialized?? That's what we did for Cleo. Yup, thought she was lonely so we got Mac to keep her company and love on her and play with her and share aaaaalllllll her toys and treats and people time with her. Could be why Cleo is always giving me the stink eye now, come to think of it. Good thing you all can't ask Cleo on her opinions huh?

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mer55 View Post
    He was the owner. I would never leave Bogey with him. His delivery was all wrong, he dismissed me just like he dismissed a dog that was misbehaving, and I just didn't like him. So, he does not get my business, nor would I ever recommend him.
    Our instincts are usually spot on when we choose to listen to them. Glad you listened to yours. I can only imagine how he 'might' treat any dog behind the scenes.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads