Oh Lordy!!! Help!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Morning everyone. I have quite a strange situation I really need help with. My 10 pound cat is bullying my 40 pound bully! :angry:

When I got Remi, I was totally nervous about how it would affect my 2 cats. I didn't want Remi chasing them or bothering them, and especially didn't want him to hurt them in anyway.

Well, we got a little more than we asked for! :morningcoffee:

One of my cats (Bubs) really hates Remi. It's nothing personal really. He doesn't even like the other cat (Mika) and picks fights with her as well. I cut him a lot of slack because he was my very first cat when I moved out on my own and I love him dearly. But now things are getting pretty out of hand.

Remi can't get anywhere near Bubs without it becoming a huge ordeal. And the cat will even sit right on the stairs!! Basically Bubs goes after him, chases him around the house growling and hissing, and trying to slice him up with his claws, until Remi is literally cowering in a corner, half laying on the ground, whimpering. This might take a whole 30 seconds. I actually witnessed this for myself today and was boiling with rage! :wtf:

I chased off the other cat, scruff in hand, and shooed him up the stairs. I sat with Remi a while and did that petting technique the trainer taught me to relieve stress, and for once Remi actually sat there for a good 10 minutes and let me do it.

We've sort of established that Remi is probably from a back yard Breeder and wasn't well socialized. He's got anxiety, and it's only getting worse. This kind of thing can't happen in his own house.

So far all I'm doing is distracting Remi when the cat is around so the cat can't become a trigger. If Remi ignores the cat, the cat is fine. But if he approaches Bubs in anyway, i'll get real up in here. How do I tell my cat to chill the F out?

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
We have cats too. Ruckus use to chase them to play, now Lola is just curious with them. The cats know where in the house to go when they don't want to be bothered. If the cats are teasing the dogs, like one likes to sit on the table and swat when the dog goes near I give a small quick squirt of water from a spray bottle. Seems to work pretty well.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Get a spray squirty bottle you can get them from any cheap shop like the hairdressing squirty bottles. Fill it with water and every time your Bubs goes near remi squirt him. He will run away and soon associate pickin on remi with bein squirted ... and cats dont like bein squirted! It may take a week or so but i promise it works. Iv always had cats with dogs (my persian cat actually just got put to sleep this morning and im heartbroken :( ) but this is the technique we have always used. It wont make them best of friends but will make them ignore / avoid each other. Same if Remi goes near or picks on bubs he gets a squirt too. X

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Genius! I used to do this to them all the time to keep them off the kitchen counter, etc. Thank you!!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Get a spray squirty bottle you can get them from any cheap shop like the hairdressing squirty bottles. Fill it with water and every time your Bubs goes near remi squirt him. He will run away and soon associate pickin on remi with bein squirted ... and cats dont like bein squirted! It may take a week or so but i promise it works. Iv always had cats with dogs (my persian cat actually just got put to sleep this morning and im heartbroken :( ) but this is the technique we have always used. It wont make them best of friends but will make them ignore / avoid each other. Same if Remi goes near or picks on bubs he gets a squirt too. X

I'm so sorry to hear that :( Sending good thoughts and feelings your way.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
We have cats too. Ruckus use to chase them to play, now Lola is just curious with them. The cats know where in the house to go when they don't want to be bothered. If the cats are teasing the dogs, like one likes to sit on the table and swat when the dog goes near I give a small quick squirt of water from a spray bottle. Seems to work pretty well.

Yup, this is exactly what I was gonna suggest and what popped up in my head immediately. Works wonders, but you'll probably have to keep it on you all the time like a little water bottle holster.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I used to hang mine on my dressin gown belt / jeans belt when i needed to use it often. Thankyou for the kind thoughts it was the hardest decision to make .. I sobbed my little heart out but Meeko has been keepin a eye on me giving me extra cuddles x

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All great advice above, I also have a grey /white cat named Meeko, I got her a year before the dogs, and she would scratch my leather furniture, so I got a spray bottle and squirted her every time she did it, she eventually stopped ,but when the dogs came, she started doing it again and was destroying my dining room chairs, so when I had her spayed, I declawed her, I had no choice, because all my furniture is leather, and she would chase the dogs and they just wanted to play with her, but she would hiss and scratch at their faces. After I declawed her she still chases the dogs and will swat at them, but it doesn't hurt them, she now has a love/hate relationship with them she still loves to chase and swat , and she hates to be chased by them, but the dogs never chase her to hurt her, they love everybody and everything and think everything that moves are their friend, they chase her and want to play with her, but would never hurt or bite her, so she has learned to go to higher ground , she will either jump up on her perch, or up the stairs, or she goes up to the bedroom and sleeps on my bed, or she jumps on and lies on top of my parrot cage, and that's a whole other story. Lol

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I used to hang mine on my dressin gown belt / jeans belt when i needed to use it often. Thankyou for the kind thoughts it was the hardest decision to make .. I sobbed my little heart out but Meeko has been keepin a eye on me giving me extra cuddles x
So very sorry that you had to go through this! I have been through it and cried for days. There is no easy fix for the heartache. These little fur kids are our family. Sending hugs from Miss Tallulah and me in Canada. xo

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
All great advice above, I also have a grey /white cat named Meeko, I got her a year before the dogs, and she would scratch my leather furniture, so I got a spray bottle and squirted her every time she did it, she eventually stopped ,but when the dogs came, she started doing it again and was destroying my dining room chairs, so when I had her spayed, I declawed her, I had no choice, because all my furniture is leather, and she would chase the dogs and they just wanted to play with her, but she would hiss and scratch at their faces. After I declawed her she still chases the dogs and will swat at them, but it doesn't hurt them, she now has a love/hate relationship with them she still loves to chase and swat , and she hates to be chased by them, but the dogs never chase her to hurt her, they love everybody and everything and think everything that moves are their friend, they chase her and want to play with her, but would never hurt or bite her, so she has learned to go to higher ground , she will either jump up on her perch, or up the stairs, or she goes up to the bedroom and sleeps on my bed, or she jumps on and lies on top of my parrot cage, and that's a whole other story. Lol

AUGH!! Terrible. Cats only scratched our furniture when we closed the sun-room up for the winter and then were were like OMG!! We didn't bring in their HUGE CAT TREE. Giving them lots of stuff they can scratch on really helps, but I guess that'e neither here nor there now.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Yup, this is exactly what I was gonna suggest and what popped up in my head immediately. Works wonders, but you'll probably have to keep it on you all the time like a little water bottle holster.

LOL 6 shooter squirt bottle. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I swear by the water bottle... worked wonders with Banks and Cheli.... hhhmm, Nitschke not so much, he thought it was his toy :faint:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.