your opinion...male or female bully?

Luci Jo's mama

Jan 1, 2013
fleetwood pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Luci Jo
Hello everyone! I am curious what bully you prefer and why...male or female..pros and cons..which sex is calmer,which is more independent, which is easier to housebreak,which is more cuddly, which is more energetic.etc...just wondering which sex you all prefer and what are the most common difference s...if there much of a difference?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I have one of each, and they are definetly different from each other, with totally opposite personalities. I wanted a Bulldog for the past 10 years, and said to my husband if I ever get an English bulldog, I was going to get a male and call him Bulldozer. When I went to seemy Dozer, my husband, grandson, and I sat on the kitchen floor for about an hour and played with Dozer and his sister Blossom, they were the last two pups. My husband kept gravitating to the female and saying oh look how cute she is, look how sweet she is. I kept telling him I wanted the male. Well my husband couldn't leave her there, and ended up buying both. I thought he was crazy. Now that we have them , I am totally in love with both, Blossom is definetely the dominate one and a true bully towards her brother, she rams him, she steals his food, his toys, and constantly bites on his ears. She has way more spunk and energy than Dozer, she will walk for an hour no problem, and with a bunny hop and bum wiggle when she walks down the road. She will fight you when you give her a bath, she tries to vet out every time. Dozer on the other hand is the most docile, laid back guy ever, he doesn't care what you do to him, you can bath him, cut his nails, brush him, wipe his face, brush his teeth, take his toys and food away, and he hates, hates, hates walking, he pulls the leash, wil walk for about 15 mins and then just stops, lays on the ground, and splays all four legs to the side of him, and refuses to walk. They are both the sweetest though, and big sucky cuddlers. My hubby asked me not to long ago, which one I would have chosen, if I knew them like I do now. I said to him, I wouldn't have known Blossom be ause I had a male in mind when I went to see him, and I would have just brought him home, and not known Blossom, but now that I have had them for 8 months, I couldn't choose , because I love them both.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We have a male. He is so sweet, loves to cuddle, loves everyone but is VERY attached to me, his mamma. <3, and protective of me, too.

After reading so many post on EBN I do not believe that males are better than females or vice versa. I think each and every bully has different personalities. We were fortunate enough to get the pick of the litter, but did not pick our boy until he was 8 weeks old and ready to go to his new home. This allowed us to spend some time and just observe their actions and personalities. My son actually got to pick and he wanted one that was laid back and easy going. When he picked Tank up, he just melted in his arms, laid his head on my sons chest, snuggled and then fell asleep. :) It was great to watch them all. There was another male that was the runt, but twice as rambunctious. I liked him, but you could tell he was going to be active and require extra work. There was another bigger females that was very laid back like our Tank and another female that was very sassy. She would bark at my husband, like she was demanding he choose her. It was so funny, but you could tell she was going to be demanding.

Hopefully this info will help you choose your new baby and you'll be able to find a litter/breeder that will allow you to opportunity to see their personalities emerging before deciding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
When I went to pick up Remi, we were actually torn between him and his sister as well. But I thought I really wanted a female bully. The first thing we noticed is that the female bully just wanted to play with her other siblings. She seemed pretty disinterested in us. Although she did greet us, it was very quick and flighty. Remi on the other hand greeted us for longer period of times more frequently. He gravitated towards us and was way more affectionate. From my personal experience, females seem to be a be more independent, and the males slightly more affectionate. I'm sure this isn't the golden rule, but seems to be more true than not.

Males have more prominent bully features which was a plus for us, but the females tend to be smaller, which can also be appealing to some.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
We have two females and a male, they are all very different.

Joey (female) comes from a breeder here in South Africa, she is extremely calm and lazy, nothing can really bother her. She snores and makes lots of bulldog noises, she has a lot of patience with people and other dogs but when she gets enough it's enough and then it's done. Very stubborn but over all the sweetest ever who loves to cuddle and just be near you. She's a real companion:)

Boeboe (female) is the opposite of Joey, she is very "on the edge" about most things, nothing goes unnoticed and she runs around and barks at everything, she doesn't really like to cuddle unless you scratch her bum meanwhile. She's a real princess (read bitch, lol) who doesn't tolerate anything do disturb her. Her personality is priceless and I laugh at her craziness every day. She's much more active and over all completely different from Joey both in her ways and looks.

Bennie (male) probably comes from the same "bloodline" as Joey, they are much alike, both are very sweet and loves to cuddle, they both have lots of patience and loves people. Bennie is very submissive, and it's not only cos he's been neutered, he were like that even before (he were neutered only at 2 years of age). Bennie and Joey's fur is a tiny bit longer than Boeboe's and they seem to shed more. Bennie is more protective over me, when my husband is away he is looking after me<3

They are all so different, I think it has more to do with the breeders priority, they are all probably looking for different things to pass forward from the parents, looks, health, personality... I don't know:)

Bottom line, once you have your bulldog nothing will matter, it's just impossible not to love them no matter what<3:)

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I choose Lola because I gravitated towards her right away and I just followed my gut on it. I have had male dogs in the past and I have to say every female I have had is more of a diva and more high strung but thats why I like females. I think its a personal choice and what fits your lifestyle better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
it really all depends on you as a leader and they personality of the pup.... Nitschke was a very loving, cuddly docile boy - listen to everything and had wicked play spaz moments - his favorite things were car rides, walks and snuggles. he was a total momma's boy but did love his daddy too. He was an easy train and we could easy take him ANYWHERE without lead and he stayed right next to us.

Banks, our girl, very dominate, strong willed independent beeeeeotch! She was a brutal train, 7 yrs still in the making. it is her world and we just get to par-take when she allows us. However, she is amazingly wonderful with children and puppies.... she hates dogs with high energy and long hair and any other animal to her is food. She is a full blown Daddy's girl and really could careless if i am in the room, unless of course that room happens to be the kitchen

Good luck in your search

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
There is not much difference between a male and female bulldog besides its size/weight and the cost of the neuter/spay. So, any other "general personality characteristics" you are looking for in choosing a bulldog shouldn't be biased towards any particular gender.

A more influential consideration of the puppy's personality would be the traits of both parents and the composition of your own household. If you're an alpha-type person and you're the one spending the most time with the dog, you'll be fine with a more strong-willed pup. If you're a pushover, you'll need to decide whether you are okay with letting a strong-willed pup rule the house.

Another consideration for gender is if you already have a dog in the house. Two males or two females can be challenging for a non-alpha-type person. Two of the same gender have a tendency of fighting for dominance. A male/female pair would have a better chance of avoiding dogfights... interestingly, the english bulldog is different from dobermans. Dobermans usually have the male as the dominant gender (of course there are exceptions). But in English Bulldogs females have just as much chance, if not more, to dominate than the males.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I have a male & female also ... I have always preferred female dogs, why I really have no clue other then they don't hike their leg and pee on everything. Diesel was my first ever male dog and he has been the biggest blessing ever!!! Molly is so sweet and loving now but took a lot of work to get where we are!! My first bulldog was a female and was hell on wheels to say the least, was excellent in training, she would go to class and be the instructors go to dog for showing a training example but leave class and she was a nightmare!

But in all honesty, each dog is an individual and they are all so different, they may have similar characteristics but none will ever have the same personality you just have to pick the one that fits into your life the best. Or do what a lot of us do and have 1 of each :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.