Biting issues PLEASE HELP!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
You might be able to solve this problem by carving out some time in your day to play hard with your dog to get all his extra energies out. I have a bullie that just turned 1 year old 2 weeks ago. He is a bundle of energy right when he wakes up and he would chew and bite and all that normal puppy stuff. What I've been doing is I would play soccer with him right after he does his business in the morning. I would kick the soccer ball from one end of the yard to the other end, he would chase it down, bring it back to me and we would do this over and over and over until he gets all the energy out of his system. Then he is calm the rest of the day - he would still chew and stuff but it's easier to just direct him to his toys and he would flop down infront of them and chew and chew until he falls asleep. Then when the kids get home from school, he would be a bundle of energy again, so the kids would play soccer with him until he gets sooo tired he flops infront of the water bowl. And he'll be calm the rest of the day until our nightly walk. We would walk for 3 miles and he would flop down by my feet wherever I go, energies all spent. Sometimes when I don't have the energy to play soccer with him (I was sick with the flu for 2 weeks!), I would just throw his ball up the stairs, he would run for it, come down to give the ball to me, and I would throw it up the stairs again... going up and down the stairs tires him out much faster than the yard.

It's also an awesome way to bond with your dog. Yes, it takes time. But, that comes with being a dog parent.

OP
K

kcone

Dec 25, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
Thanks for the great advice & suggestions. I wish I had stairs to tire him out at times, but playing withs his football helps. Thank you again.

You might be able to solve this problem by carving out some time in your day to play hard with your dog to get all his extra energies out. I have a bullie that just turned 1 year old 2 weeks ago. He is a bundle of energy right when he wakes up and he would chew and bite and all that normal puppy stuff. What I've been doing is I would play soccer with him right after he does his business in the morning. I would kick the soccer ball from one end of the yard to the other end, he would chase it down, bring it back to me and we would do this over and over and over until he gets all the energy out of his system. Then he is calm the rest of the day - he would still chew and stuff but it's easier to just direct him to his toys and he would flop down infront of them and chew and chew until he falls asleep. Then when the kids get home from school, he would be a bundle of energy again, so the kids would play soccer with him until he gets sooo tired he flops infront of the water bowl. And he'll be calm the rest of the day until our nightly walk. We would walk for 3 miles and he would flop down by my feet wherever I go, energies all spent. Sometimes when I don't have the energy to play soccer with him (I was sick with the flu for 2 weeks!), I would just throw his ball up the stairs, he would run for it, come down to give the ball to me, and I would throw it up the stairs again... going up and down the stairs tires him out much faster than the yard.

It's also an awesome way to bond with your dog. Yes, it takes time. But, that comes with being a dog parent.

OP
K

kcone

Dec 25, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
There has definitely been a lot of great info on here. And you're right I didn't need nice furniture & I'm getting used to bite marks on my fingers. ;)
ROFLMAO. Sounds like you have your own "Jaws On Paws"'. Listen to the advice given here. The problem goes away until the next little "Jaws On Paws" enters your life. Well, It kinda goes away. Rudy still grabs the tags on the back of my shoes when I get home. Btw you didn't really like your finger or the furniture anyway did you?

OP
K

kcone

Dec 25, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
The advice here is amazing! The cans worked for about a day.
I hear you:yes: My new pup Voitto is just 9 weeks old and is really a lot mouthier than Usko was. You've gotten a lot of good advise here, but I would try the scaring with cans and such as a last resort.

OP
K

kcone

Dec 25, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
I just wanted to say THANK YOU for such great advice.
Sounds like a bulldog puppy, lol. It does stop eventually. Just be consistent. We tried everything from saying "NO", yiping loudly. Grabbing his jaw when he bit, time outs, ignoring and walking away, replacing our hand with a toy and whatever else we could think of and Tonka only came back at us harder and more aggressive. To this day the only thing that works ( and very well) is shaking coins in a coke can. Now all we have to do is reach for the can and he stops immediately and sits. Just have to find what your pup responds to. Tonka went into this obsessed state and it was all about breaking his concentration, which the coins do great. Also, I will not play tug with him ( though he tries) as I find it makes his obsessing worse. If he starts pulling on a toy in my hand I drop it immediately and he gets the idea and calms down.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.