Biting issues PLEASE HELP!

kcone

Dec 25, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
I have a 13 week old that might be the spawn of satan. He's constantly biting us even though we discipline him. I don't know what to do! 😢 I need some help & advice with this situation PLEASE!!

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Sounds like a bulldog puppy, lol. It does stop eventually. Just be consistent. We tried everything from saying "NO", yiping loudly. Grabbing his jaw when he bit, time outs, ignoring and walking away, replacing our hand with a toy and whatever else we could think of and Tonka only came back at us harder and more aggressive. To this day the only thing that works ( and very well) is shaking coins in a coke can. Now all we have to do is reach for the can and he stops immediately and sits. Just have to find what your pup responds to. Tonka went into this obsessed state and it was all about breaking his concentration, which the coins do great. Also, I will not play tug with him ( though he tries) as I find it makes his obsessing worse. If he starts pulling on a toy in my hand I drop it immediately and he gets the idea and calms down.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace [12wks] of course wants to gnaw on Everything? Unfortunately for our 2 yr old Maltese, most of the intolerable nipping is directed at him. For biting on ourselves usually a loud No works, for chasing and nipping at the Maltese we consitently correct by either a loud no, shake a can, strike a aluminum foil core or other distraction and then redirect to an appropriate chew toy

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
It is an ongoing consistent thing. The worse times are right after spending night in crate and outside potty and feeding then there is a burst of energy and rambunctious activity and desire to play and grab any and everything and harrass the hell out of the maltese. Then about an hour and a half before bedtime he Ace gets another ramped up burst with all the same features. In between times its relatively easy. It's a load but the only option I know is to stay vigilant and consistent. It's trying and tiring

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
it would be nice to have all types of textures for him to chew on. Hard, soft, cloth, chewy. those milk teeth can drive them crazy. besides that, everything tastes so good :sillyboy:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
There are lots of threads/posts on here ( some of them mine!) about this very thing!
Firstly, this is completely normal! You will have to find what works for you! We tried the coins in a can- worked for a day, then it became a toy. Next we tried the spray bottle- he loved it! On to spraying apple bitter on our shoes and toes, nope- he LOVED it! High pitched noises, deep barking and yelping like a puppy work on occasion, but he tunes it out after awhile. We do redirect him with a toy and praise him when he responds, but it is usually short lived. So, we just keep redirecting him and if after 2 tries he is still hell bent on biting, he gets placed in his crate, calmly, but firmly with the message that his behavior is not acceptable! It calms him down and when he comes out, he is Mr. Nice Guy, if even for only a few minutes! I also do not let him out of the crate if he is crying or carrying on. To " get out of jail" he must be calm and quiet. Also, remember he is a baby and nap and rest times are mandatory! His biting seems to get worse when he is tired or overstimulated! Be firm, and consistent, keep your legs and toes covered, have plenty of bandaids on hand, and remember, this will go away before you do!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some bully pups do like to bite, but that will grow out of it. Just be patient and consistent.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
He's a teething puppy and this is normal. Use a good NO for the behavior. He will outgrow this trust me! I just went through 3 puppies in the last 2 years. The coin in the can works very well but you don't want him to get scared of a loud sound too. It will help with the repetitive yelling (figure of speach) at him. Do replace his biting with a toy to direct his attention to something else than your skin. Puppy teeth are razor sharp. He won't stop teething and replace his baby teeth until he's about 6 months. Puppies are just like babies. Since he's teething too you may want to get some teething toys that you can freeze. That feels really good on the teeth.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Positive reinforcement , management and redirection will help. I am not a fan of any punishment. Merr55 has great advice. Your pup is a perfectly normal Bully and they explore the world wit their mouths and teeth. They are especially rambunctious after rest (playful biting which can be redirected to chew toys) and when they are anxious or overtired. Then it is time to chill. When Miss T was in her crate and she settled and started to relax I would walk by and give her a tiny treat. It told her "yes, this is what I want" it doesn't happen overnight you need to be patient and consistent probably more than you think is humanly possible some days. I have said this on other posts - I would put honey on my hand and arm and she would lick it and I would say" kisses, nice kisses" now if she puts her mouth over my hand or arm she is very gentle and if I say "uh uh no - kisses nice kisses " she immediately begins to lick my hand/arm. An important thing to keep in mind is it is not enough to tell your baby Bully what you don't want. You need to tell them what you do want, and then praise and reward for desired behaviour. Good luck. Lots of good info on this in past posts because we have ALL gone through this with Bullie puppies.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It definetely is a temporary phase , I have 2 EB pups and when we first brought them home, they would nip us and attack our toes all the time. I have 6 kids under the age of 5 in my family, my Grandson is 5, I have 2 nephews and 2 nieces, and they are all 4 yrs old, and a 1 year old nephew, I definetly didn't want them to bite or nip the kids, so I made sure I handled their ears, I placed the side of my hand in their mouths, I took their toys away from them and gave them back, and I took their food away when they were eating and gave it back to them, so they would be used to this if the kids were to do these things. They are very gentle with the kids , and never bite them. My Grandson uses Bulldozer as a pillow, and lays on him. When they did bite us in the beginning I would take the loose skin on the back of their neck and give them a little tug, and in a stern voice say NO BITE, or you can say OUCH really loud, also you can cup their mouth in your hand, and put their mouth to the floor and say NO BITE, it took about a week, but they stopped biting us, and now would never nip or bite anyone.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Try listerine mouthwash. I learned it in puppy class. Let him see bottle tell him no and rub some in his mouth then on whatever he is trying to bite. It works I promise and it's totally safe. Took less than a week and now my girl is 10 months and still only chews and bites her toys! Good luck

Luci Jo's mama

Jan 1, 2013
fleetwood pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Luci Jo
my bully is the queen at nipping and chewing everything!! drives me nutts!! nothing seems to help, i just cant wait til this is over!! i feel your pain and its very annoying but it will stop soon enough!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I hear you:yes: My new pup Voitto is just 9 weeks old and is really a lot mouthier than Usko was. You've gotten a lot of good advise here, but I would try the scaring with cans and such as a last resort.

OP
K

kcone

Dec 25, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
I will have to try replacing a toy with whatever he's chewing on at the time. Thanks!

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
ROFLMAO. Sounds like you have your own "Jaws On Paws"'. Listen to the advice given here. The problem goes away until the next little "Jaws On Paws" enters your life. Well, It kinda goes away. Rudy still grabs the tags on the back of my shoes when I get home. Btw you didn't really like your finger or the furniture anyway did you?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.