mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
He sounds like he is doing very well :) :) the only thing that stuck out in your post to me, was putting him in the Pokey for being bad (in the crate) Everything I've read about crate training, the #1 rule is, not to use it as punishment. When Hershey would be 'teething' on us or his sister Gizmo, we would put a toy directly into his mouth, a loud YIP or OUCH would also get his attention and he would stop trying to use those needle teeth on us :)
Ahh, we tried EVERYTHING to distract him! Coins in a can, loud barking, high pitched sounds, dropping a book, spray bottle- we did everything. He gets 2 chances to stop the behavior and then he goes to the crate. It is what has worked for us, and it settles him right down. He has actually come out of the crate and come over and licked us! He knows! He LOVES his crate and goes in and out of it all day. When he is " punished" it is never with anger, it is just being brought to the crate, placed in, door shut with calmness but resolve that his behavior was not acceptable. It is his safe haven, as well as ours. There are times when he is put in there, he is out cold in his bed within 30 seconds. Moms always know best!!

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Glad to hear he is doing better on the new food. I was wondering how he was doing. We do the same with Spiel. When he gets too wound up, mostly with the two kids because they basically have trained him that they are chew toys by the way they play with him, into the crate he goes. When he comes back out after timeout, he knows he has to settle or right back in he goes. I have tried a million times to "train" the two kids not to play with him the way they do if they don't want small nicks and cuts all over their hands and feet lol but I know both will grow out of it. Not to mention Spiel is twice as easy to train than a 15 year old daughter and 11 son. Spielmans' favorite two games are to chase my son as he runs full speed around the house and up and down the stairs with a reward of chewing on an ankle when he catches up, or his other favorite game of chewing on my daughter wherever he can get his mouth while she lays in the floor throwing him around. We have not had any problems with him going in or staying in the crate.

Spiel sounds like he is a little more hard headed than Bogey. He does well with commands when he wants to. Even if he knows he will get a treat. "Come" is the hardest for him. Sometimes he comes running as hard as he can, other times he stares at you with a look like "no, I don't feel like it right now". He really has a mind of his own. He knows there are certain things he is not allowed to chew on, ie the legs on the furniture, and he will walk over, open his mouth wide right next to the leg of the chair two inches away and just stare at you like, "I can if I want, go ahead, look away and see what happens" and as soon as I snap at him he swings his head around like he is pissed at the world.

Spiel and Bogey sound like 2 peas in a pod! I have 10 year old twin neighbors that play with him. The girl is deathly afraid of him, so is constantly running from him- GAME ON!! The boy is very receptive to my cues, but he does love to play chase with him, so I let it go! They have fun and it sure tires him out! The "come" command response just started last week! Before, it was as you said, only when he felt like it. And I choked on my coffee with what you said about nearing a forbidden object and opening his mouth while giving you the stink eye! Like I said, peas in a pod! This is what I like about the bully mentality- the challenge. I think it is keeping me mentally sharp because I have to be a step ahead of him! Keep the posts coming on your guy too! Love to see pics, and that cat video is my favorite!!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
What a beautiful bully. And the first pic oh my.. :luv: too cute.
But the OCD behavior.. rofl so funny. :D

abrovont

Dec 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey, Beans & Molly Mae
Love the name! We have a 2 almost 3 yr old Brindle Bulldog by the name of Bogey!! Great minds think a like! Our boy is a massive boy but such a sweeetie!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great update! Love the pictures and how much he has grown.... too cute

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.