Does is worry you when people around you contemplate buying a bully???????

Stoagie713

Sep 12, 2012
Vacaville, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stoagie
I love love love this breed! But when people say they want one....I feel the need to caution them. Anyone with me on this????
I'm the young age of 20 years old and have a 7 month old bulldog and he has had his share of problems trust me. But I do extensive research and make sure to take every measure to make sure he is properly cared for. I spend way more than the average retriever owner and I know it. When people look at our adorable bulldogs faces I feel that they don't KNOW how much it takes to love these animals in a way that does them justice. These people don't KNOW the vet bills, the special food, the wrinkle care ect.....and so they get one of these beautiful babies....and then realize they can't handle giving them what they really need.....so they end up in a shelter or just being poorly taken care of. That worries me. More bullbabies ending up in shelters because people don't know how to properly care for them. I don't want that. And that's why I'm buying shelter bulldogs for the rest of my life.
Just wanted to share this and see if anyone else felt the same.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
I couldn't agree more. Everyone sees the adorabull and right away they want one. Whenever I'm asked about Ruckus or Lola after telling about all the awesomeness I make sure to add that they are also high maintenance. I just had someone tell me " oh how cute, I want one. Once she heard about daily cleaning and possible allergy issues she said " oh forget that I don't want another child to take care of" 😀. I smile because being informative in a polite way helps keep them out of shelters.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Honestly, I think the people around me see how crazy I am and how much goes into them so they not want one. Lol you r right tho. I just make sure to explain ALL that goes into them to anyone around me.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

I agree. It does worry me because the popularity of the EBD has risen from #40 to #8 on the AKC list last year. Due to popularity of movie stars and famous people who showcase their bully. But those people probably have dedicated people who actually take care of their dogs and pets.

I for one and not rich nor famous and I too spend a lot of time taking care of my 8 bulldogs. This is a full time passion. And with multiple dogs comes multiple chances of things going wrong. I had 3 major surgeries on 3 different dogs last year. They all lived and are healthy and I am continuing to pay off the vet bills.

Because of the different issues associated with Bulldog ownership, I consider myself to be a "steward" of the breed. I will spend upwards to 45 minutes on the phone educating someone about buying or raising or owning a bulldog. It is important for any person considering getting a bulldog to know EXACTLY what to expect, what to know and what to DO!

Here at EBN is a great place for people considering getting a bulldog to read and learn more about the breed and the joys as well as the problems and issues. Just look at the number of guests online at any point ?

Good Day~

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Yes more and more popular, and just look at all of the TV commercials that have come out in the last 6 months with the 'cute bullies' :( Anyone who approaches me about bullies, I tell them about the rescues and all of the medical issues they may have.

Educate Educate Educate, its our only defense!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I feel the same for most dogs actually.

A friend of mine is trying to find an apartment for a wonderful lady with a wonderful pit bull... all the apartments in my town have a no-pit-bull rule! And all this stems from people who has no idea what to do with a pitbull so the pitbull gets branded as a killer dog.

And then there's the 101 Dalmatians causing all these little kids to get dalmatians not knowing how hard it is to care for that dog.

And then there's all the whatever-poos that are thrown in shelters because the people buying them thought "they don't shed".

And then there's all the little pekingese and shitzus and bichons that get thrown in shelters because the people buying them wanted a toy and when the toy starts peeing in their carpet, they throw them out...

Sometimes, people really suck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
VERY much so.... when ever I am approached i state all the maintenance, health issues and vet appointments. They are the best breed in my world, but a LOT of work, time and love.

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
Being a new bully owner I see how many people immediately look at this cute little face and say I want one... I tell them how much I adore her, but I also tell them all the work! And I haven't had any allergy issues yet (fingers crossed!) or health issues! I agree with [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION], I worry about all dogs! I'm amazed at how many people get pets and feel like they are disposable when times get tough. Do your research and make sure you are committed! You wouldn't give your kid away or leave them behind when you move! And the pitbull issue... wow! Working in the insurance industry makes me realize these poor dogs are so misunderstood. Some bad owners have really put these dogs at risk. It's not just the rental places that won't allow you to have them, I think almost all insurance companies exclude coverage for this breed. The big part of why I love this forum is seeing all the people who love and adore their dogs and want to do everything they can to make sure we are all educated on the issues that come up! All pet owners should be this dedicated!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
oh how I totally agree!!! Now granted my fur-kids have been healthy thank goodness and have been minimal for vet costs, spay/neuter, yearly exams & shots so I am super lucky in that department ... but products for maintenance well I spend A LOT of money on the products I use for my two bully babies, from high quality food (Fromm & The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Raw), eye wipes, ear wipes, dental wipes, toothbrushes, toothpaste, special shampoo, special conditioner (Kelco Ultra Silk), overall body wipes, tail pocket wipes, brushes, nail grinder, nail clippers oh how the list goes on and on ... so when people see my babies they always seem to say "oh my favorite kind of dog, I've always wanted one" so I am upfront and honest with what goes into the care and maintenance of a bulldog.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
When we first got porky everyone hounded us to breed her bcuz they wanted puppies!!!!!! Roger n I discussed it n we eventually decided no she was being spayed n not bcuz of the cost either we knew it'd be expensive it was bcuz we would have started a war lol!!!!! My grandmother wanted one n she's an animal lover who has a sheltie but seeing how she takes care of Romeo I knew her and an EB puppy wouldn't mesh!!!!! N Rogers mother wanted 2 bcuz u can't just have one as a pup well I said no to her b4 we even decided not to breed her lol she has 2 dogs that live outside hooked to chains (I've called the SPCA a few times lol) so um 2 purebred EB pups tied outside all the time ummmm nooooo some ppl shouldn't own animals period let alone ebs that was a little but of a vent I think lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I agree with everything that's been posted on this thread. There is way, way too many dogs euthanized in shelters and many, many more neglected. If there is a hell and a just god that would send people there then it will be full of people that mistreated dogs

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Absolutely! My boss likes them and would want one, but I've made sure she is aware of all the problems they can have and all the maintenance they require. She's happy just baby sitting Aubie because she knows she doesn't have the time for a full time bully commitment. I always talk as much as possible about the needs and problems of bullies so people understand what they require. Of course, some people won't listen, but I make sure I at least try.

OP
Stoagie713

Stoagie713

Sep 12, 2012
Vacaville, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stoagie
Im glad everyone agrees!!!!! It makes me so sad how people impulsively buy living loving things....such a shame. :/

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Only yesterday I was talking to one of the mums from the Childcare that I worked at and she was asking me about Ftse and are they expensive to buy as she would like a dog that doesn't need exercising or anything. First of all she had trouble paying her childcare fees, so how could she pay for vet bills, good food, etc, secondly yes they do need exercise maybe not a great deal of excersice but they still need it, and they are a lot of work keeping their wrinkles, ears etc clean and healthy and they need lots of love and attention. They are not your usual outside dog they are part of the family and need taking care of 110% at all times and you certainly can not afford one if you are all ready having money issues.

So the answer is YES I do get worried when some people say they want one.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online