General Bulldog Advice...

Roses

Jan 14, 2013
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Hi There!

I was just wanting to enqire about some general questions I have about our new arrival! Rosie is currently 8 and a half weeks old and due her next jab next thursday was wondering really does anyone know how soon after the jab would she be able to go for a walk as I am so excited about her first walk ha! Also as a puppy do they grow out of teething problems pretty quick or? Is it normal for puppys to chew on you? we have stopped her from doing it a lot more than she used to and she seems to be warming to the fact she cant be allowed to do it but was just wondering if anyone had general advice for bulldog pups? I like to think we are doing a good job already :) but nothing better than some other points of views! :)

Thankyou! :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Here there are 3 series of shots..3 weeks apart. They cant go out until last series of shots. In my area, we have wild animals so we had to wait until Jake had his rabies shot at 6 months to be fully protected. I would wait until final set of shots..why risk it.

[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION] might have info for you too

OP
Roses

Roses

Jan 14, 2013
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Ah I see! In the UK they have 2 shots and then are usually able to go for walks regarding they feel up to it after the jab but she will need a few days rest so the breeder told me. I definately wouldnt want to risk it before hand not at all so hopefully after her last shot she will be able to go for her walk! and thankyou I will check out that profile :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hello and welcome. Rosie is a doll. I'll tell you what my vet told me with my 2 puppies, once they have their second shots, they are okay to be around other dogs as long as you know the owners and the dog, and you know that the other dogs are up to date on their shots. It is actually a good idea to start socializing your dog from an early age so they learn to be comfortable and get along with other dogs.

As for the nipping, what I did with my 2 guys, is I got them at 8 weeks old, I wanted to make sure they didn't nip anyone, because I have a 5 year old Grandson , who I look after , and I also have 5 other kids under the age of 5, they are my nieces and nephews. I handled the dogs ears, I placed the side of my hand in their mouths, I gave them food, and treats and took it away while they were eating , so they would be used to this if the kids were to do it. I also took their toys away from them while they were playing so they would be used to this as well. If you do it from a young age , they get used to it. If they do nip or bite you, you can take the loose skin on the back of the neck and pull it back and firmly say NO, or say OUCH very loudly, or you can take their mouth and cup your hand over it and say NO or NO Bite. I only had to do this for about a week and they stopped biting us. Also have plenty of chew toys for her to chew on, and redirect her to her toys when she bites, or chews things she's not supposed to. Good luck , it definetely is a temporary phase.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Hiya just to let you know its NOT OK for them to go out straight after their 2nd jabs. Your vet will tell you that you must wait until 2 weeks after the second set of jabs until theyr fully affective. You never kno whats about nowadays especially with a lot of stray dogs foxes wild animals rats cats birds etc. Read up about PARVO disease and ul soon understand why and not risk it. My vet said even meeting other dogs you must be cautious even if they have had their jabs as they can still carry the virus to your pup even tho theyr immune to it themselves. You can carry him outside he is not allowed on the ground though and if training out your back garden it must be a closed in area no other animals go to and your baby should only be allowed out there minimal time with your 100% supervision. I know you want to show off your new baby but its really not worth the risk PARVO can kill your pup so quickly and viciously and thats just 1 disease to be careful of without jabs. Google it. Its really not worth risking your pups life just be patient theirs plenty of years ahead of you that you can walk her! My vet told me off for puttin Meeko on the floor inside the vets after his 2nd jabs for 2mins while payin the bill cos of other animals carryin diseases x

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hello and welcome. Rosie is a doll. I'll tell you what my vet told me with my 2 puppies, once they have their second shots, they are okay to be around other dogs as long as you know the owners and the dog, and you know that the other dogs are up to date on their shots. It is actually a good idea to start socializing your dog from an early age so they learn to be comfortable and get along with other dogs. .

I would be very careful. There is a reason they give 3 sets of shots. Each pup's immune system is different and the parvovirus virus has killed pups with even the full 3 series of vaccines. My vet says..it's not the known you worry about..it's the unknown. You ever know what dog crossed where your pup might be. Even our own front yard was off limits. And not even a trip to petco in the carts. of course my vet is very careful with pups and she has a "clean" exam room just for pups and dogs with compromised immune systems.

I think the U.K. Is different. You don't have a lot of the viruses we do..right? And rabies?

OP
Roses

Roses

Jan 14, 2013
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Thankyou! I will do that then! From what I know of she has had her 1st one and the one coming up is her 2nd and final one but ill ask the vet once in there and thankyou for the heads up :) xx

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Hubby and I both decided to wait to even bring our two home from the breeders until they were almost 5 months old. The first time was really due to me and the kids moving up to where he had just gone to (military, we move OFTEN) and we opted to have the breeder keep Cleo until we were all up there versus her living with hubby in a hotel. Parvo is really scary, growing up I had an elderly neighbor who got a yorkie that died of parvo. Well, I know she was told to disinfect best she could and wait but she got another one and that one up and died too. My dad finally went over to her house and started bleaching down her yard so mom and I went and started in on her house for her. She got her carpets professionally cleaned and had to get new grass cuz dad sucessfully killed all of it BUT she was able to get a new yorkie baby that fall and he was fine. Hubby knew that story and how I felt about parvo so he was ok with waiting plus, both breeders wouldn't let them go that early anyway, their minimum was 12-16 weeks depending on how they could eat and whatnot.

Anyway, now that you've been killed off by boredom, I know you're super excited, I was too but you'll be feeling a whole different way if your baby gets sick or worse. I would really really hold off on walks. You could just walk her around your place and just take tons and tons of pics and post them on here for us!! Good luck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.