Hello Everyone.

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
Hi everyone. How's everyone doing? Just wanted to introduce myself to the bulldog community. I came to this site to seek some advice and feedback...

I been reading online and I even printed out stuff on English bulldogs.

I have some questions.. I might purchase a English bulldog puppy this Friday. I've met the sire and dam. They both look healthy. I know *looking" healthy and actually being healthy is two different things. The breeder actually didn't show any papers on the mom and dad.. He did show me the AKC paper for the puppy that I am interested. The puppy was active, she look nice and healthy. He showed me some VET Papers for the Puppy. It showed me the shots and other stuff..

Now before I do anything. What should I ask more about the puppy? Friday I will be seeing him again. I already asked him to bring me the AKC papers for the sire and dam. I also asked him to bring any health certifications on both the parents. I also asked him to bring each parent's generation pedigree . I asked him to bring all the copies from all the VET visits.
I also asked him to bring copies of the parents health clearances. I also asked him to bring any copies of achievements on the parents and their ancestors.
I will be attaching some pictures, that I took myself of the mom and dad and the puppy.
pic2.jpg0422c4m_20.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpgpic6.jpg

OP
luis323

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
Here is the pic of the sire and damn. pic7.jpgpic8.jpg

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Is this a breeder that is in the business or a backyard type breeder? If he is in the business he should haave no problem with you seeing his facility to see how well or not the dogs are cared for. I'd ask for a purchase contract. They are common, Perhaps one of our members that is a breeder can tell you what should be in it...... I do not. All I know is that the puppy should come with a written guarantee.
OH... :welcome3:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi Luis! Bravo to you for checking things out and educating yourself! It will make a world of difference ...now..I notice you kept saying..Asked him to BRING... Are you able to see his operation? How the dogs are ousted and treated? What health guarantees. Let's ask a couple people to chime in.

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]...[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Having not actually bought a puppy, I can't help with details but I love how cute your baby is! Welcome! Sounds like you r smart to have one your homework anyhow. ;)

OP
luis323

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
Is this a breeder that is in the business or a backyard type breeder? If he is in the business he should haave no problem with you seeing his facility to see how well or not the dogs are cared for. I'd ask for a purchase contract. They are common, Perhaps one of our members that is a breeder can tell you what should be in it...... I do not. All I know is that the puppy should come with a written guarantee.
OH... :welcome3:

I talked to the breeder when I met up with him, at a local store outside in public. . I didn't see his facility. I told the breeder myself, I usually go to the breeder house/facility to look at the environment they are in. Of course If I were to get this puppy it would definitely would have to come with a purchase contract.

OP
luis323

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
Hi Luis! Bravo to you for checking things out and educating yourself! It will make a world of difference ...now..I notice you kept saying..Asked him to BRING... Are you able to see his operation? How the dogs are ousted and treated? What health guarantees. Let's ask a couple people to chime in.

@Davidh..@desertskybulldogs...@Sherry

Yeah I asked him to bring the papers. I was not able to see his operation. The mom and dad looked friendly. They were not heavily breathing or anything like that. The dad look in fantastic health and shape.
Thanks for all the help guys. I do appreciate this a lot.

OP
luis323

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
Yes, I asked him to bring the stuff. I was not able to see his facility. The mom and dad look healthy. They weren't heavily breathing at all. The dad looked amazing. The puppy was very active. I checked the gums and ears. They were nice and healthy.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yeah I asked him to bring the papers. I was not able to see his operation. The mom and dad looked friendly. They were not heavily breathing or anything like that. The dad look in fantastic health and shape.
Thanks for all the help guys. I do appreciate this a lot.

Ok.first red flag..you can't see his operation and the Bully's in their Enviroment . 2nd red flag..papers not readily available.. Just know..this is a common scam operation. there are often generic puppy litter papers that have nothing to do with litter or pups you are looking at. These are usually puppy mill or imported pups..with the risks of huge health problems. My feeling is..your instincts are trying to tell you something....something is wrong..Listen to yourself.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
A good breeder will let you visit their home or kennel, so you can see how they are being taken care of and to make sure they are not a puppy mill or a broker. They should have the dam on site and sometimes will have the sire also. Ask to talk to their vet and ask him how healthy are the sire and dam and all of their bullies in general. The breeder can give the vet permission to answer your questions. I want my pup owners to ask questions and talk to my vet, because I have nothing to hide. They should give a health guarantee and also a contract with the pup and be willing to take the pup back if it has any major problem, or if by some reason you just can't take care of the bully any longer for whatever reason. These are things myself and other reputable breeders that I know do. The pup you are at is a cutie and I'm glad you are doing your homework. I would also ask them how is the temperament of the sire and dam.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes, I asked him to bring the stuff. I was not able to see his facility. The mom and dad look healthy. They weren't heavily breathing at all. The dad looked amazing. The puppy was very active. I checked the gums and ears. They were nice and healthy.

Bottom line..these parents might very well NOT be parents to this pup. Why won't they let you inspect their operation? Because..something doesn't feel right.

OP
luis323

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
A good breeder will let you visit their home or kennel, so you can see how they are being taken care of and to make sure they are not a puppy mill or a broker. They should have the dam on site and sometimes will have the sire also. Ask to talk to their vet and ask him how healthy are the sire and dam and all of their bullies in general. The breeder can give the vet permission to answer your questions. I want my pup owners to ask questions and talk to my vet, because I have nothing to hide. They should give a health guarantee and also a contract with the pup and be willing to take the pup back if it has any major problem, or if by some reason you just can't take care of the bully any longer for whatever reason. These are things myself and other reputable breeders that I know do. The pup you are at is a cutie and I'm glad you are doing your homework. I would also ask them how is the temperament of the sire and dam.

I understand that. He actually asked me to call the VET when I was going over the VET papers. He even said himself go and head and call the Vet.. He also said we can go together to the VET so I can see shes fine. He also said forever reason you can't take care of her no more, you can bring her back to me. I have no problem with that. Thursday night I will be calling him. i will asked to meet at his house/kennel to look around. I will be more attentive when I arrive at his place. Thank you guys for all help and advice!

OP
luis323

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
Bottom line..these parents might very well NOT be parents to this pup. Why won't they let you inspect their operation? Because..something doesn't feel right.

You are right. Maybe something isn't right. Or it was just me who didn't ask enough questions at the first place? hmm.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You are right. Maybe something isn't right. Or it was just me who didn't ask enough questions at the first place? hmm.

Just ask a few more and then follow your instincts..remember, I'm sure this pup is OHHH so precious..but if not thee one...the right one is there!

OP
luis323

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
This is my plan for Friday..

I will need to visit the house/kennel of the Breeder. I will need see proof of AKC papers on both parents. I would need to see health certifications ( sire and dam) and puppy , and purchase contract. I need to VET papers on parents and puppy. I am going to have him take me to the VET that he goes, so I can ask the veterinarian how healthy is the mom and dad. I am going to ask how is the temperament of the sire and dam is. Also i got a question. I know when i have the AKC papers on my hand, I can look up the registration of the puppy correct? Also, I will be able to determine if the parents he showed me are really the parents or not. I can tell by the AKC papers. Since I will be seeing the AKC papers for the SIRE AND DAM and when I have the AKC papers for the puppy, It should match the moms n dads name on paper correct?.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.