Crate size?

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I have been looking on amazon for dog crates, and thy dont list the weight or breeds of dogs the crate would be applicable for. Mack is 42 pounds full grown at 3 years old. What size crate would he need?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I'm currently using a 36" travel plastic crate, my girl is 10months & 49#. I feel like she's outgrown it because when she sprawls out shes smushed against the door. I am going to upgrade to a 42" wire crate. Also check petco.com they are the lowest prices I have found.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka is 55 lbs at almost a year and he has a 36" crate. That being said he is never actually locked in it its just his bed, if I were to lock him in he would definitely have at Least a 42" crate, probably a 48". Since we have let him have free range of the house in the last few weeks he has stopped using it altogether anyways... He much prefers to thief a blanket from somewhere in the house and cuddle up on the couch when we're not home. He's a bit of a princess lol.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Get the wire crates and not the plastic ones as they tend to get too hot in the plastic ones. For our girls we get the 36", and for Buddy we got him the 48" one just so he would have plenty of room, although the 42" would have been fine for him, but he likes to stretch out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have the 36 inch fold-able crates so they are easy to take with us when necessary

OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Great thanks for all the input! I'll see what I can find

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
I just got a 42 inch metal wire crate from someone on Craigslist. Check Craigslist, u can find deals there sometimes. Dude was asking $70 for the crate and I got him to sell it to me for $50. Excellent condition too.

Nihya has the 36 inch one. She can sprawl out in it but could see it's a little snug.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
we have the 36" L X 23" W X 25" H the 700 series from petco. It comes with the divider and the tray. So far so good...

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
If you have a Home Goods store near you, the wire crates are about half of what the pet stores charge. We use a 36" crate but have since "put an addition on" (attached a wire play yard) to it when we go out during the day or evening so he can move around. By the time you puta bed in the 36" there is no room to walk around.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have a purple 36" one for Lola. Check ebay as well they have some great deals on there! The purple one was going to be 110 on amazon and I got it for 42 on ebay.

OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
So I checked out home goods today, no crates left, but that place is effing amazing, I had to leave bc we are on the process of buying a house and need the money for a downpayment before decorating!!! And turns or there are a few home goods near me so I will be calling about crates tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion, I'm really not an online shopper but petco has an online sale going right now too and the crates I was looking at are 50 percent off...and the crate is needed before the house anyways...

Btw...do any of you have the crate that looks like a table? I wonder how well those are made, they are kind of expensive but maybe worth it?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
So I checked out home goods today, no crates left, but that place is effing amazing, I had to leave bc we are on the process of buying a house and need the money for a downpayment before decorating!!! And turns or there are a few home goods near me so I will be calling about crates tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion, I'm really not an online shopper but petco has an online sale going right now too and the crates I was looking at are 50 percent off...and the crate is needed before the house anyways...

Btw...do any of you have the crate that looks like a table? I wonder how well those are made, they are kind of expensive but maybe worth it?

Although I try to avoid Walmart like the plague...their crates are the best price around. They are ASPCA approved and half the price of big box pet stores. And we have never had a problem with them.

The only thing I might worry about the ones that look like a table is lack of air circulation.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] are the wire crates true dimensions? Meaning a 36" crate is truly 36" from the inside front to the inside rear? Because I have a 36" plastic kennel type crate and the interior length is actually on 30" but the tag says its 36"!. Not sure exactly what they are measuring to get 36" lol.

OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
If you have a Home Goods store near you, the wire crates are about half of what the pet stores charge. We use a 36" crate but have since "put an addition on" (attached a wire play yard) to it when we go out during the day or evening so he can move around. By the time you puta bed in the 36" there is no room to walk around.

Got a 36" crate from homegoods last night for $50! It is def plenty big for Mack, I think he is small compared to the other ebd's on the forum. Anyways, thanks for the advice!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.