Considering getting pet insurance ...

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
As some of you may know, Stig has had allergies since we got him early last month. He's been to the vet a couple of times already, and received antibiotic and antihistamine shots the first time, along with a prescription of antibiotics for 6 weeks. I'm hoping some of the costs will be covered by the 'trial' pet insurance we received from the breeder. The person the phone couldn't guarantee anything, but most likely it should be covered, and that to send everything anyway.

This pet insurance is up in a couple of days. Should I continue? I'm thinking I should, at least until I find out what he's allergic to. The vet recommended that we find out by eliminating things (such as changing food) first before we do an allergy test.

Since we changed his food 3 weeks ago, he's been doing much better. Energy level shot way up (everyday's he's accomplishing something new!) and his hives have decreased greatly. Maybe he gets a new one every few days or so. Next vet appointment is this Sat, so hopefully everything will be in the clear and that he can get his second set of vaccinations.

What do you think?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I know there are a few people on here who have and highly recommend pet insurance. I think [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] and [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] both have some, not 100% tho.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Yes, get it. We have VPI for Orion, but just submitted for Trupanion. Apparently they will cover Vegas even tho he has epilepsy. Get it and get it soon.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Yeah I have VPI and I am very happy I do. I think if I added it all up I have been reimbursed more than I have actually paid for my policies in the 4 years I've had it.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Okay, I continued the coverage. $1,000 per illness / year, $100 deductible, and the normal extras for Cdn$56 monthly. Need to talk to the bf about getting the $2,500 one for $12 more.

@TessaAndSamson
@Isabella
@Libra926

What have you been able to claim, if any?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
YES ... GET INSURANCE!!!

We didn't ......... two weeks after we got Maggie she fell down the stairs and broke her elbow which meant a very complex surgery with pins etc. (approx $3000) Then (because we were so stupid about bulldogs and feeding) she got a stomach virus that involved projectile diahorrea that sprayed everything within a 4 foot radius (400). After that she got an ear infection . Followed by a locked jaw that was FINALLY diagnosed as MMM ... an auto-immune disease of the chewing muscles that locks the jaw. Then everything was going good ......... did we get insurance ..............now that would be just too sensible wouldn't it. So the following year she had MMM again, and in January of this year she got another yeast infection in her ear.

So far Maggie has cost us about 2 - 3 times what we actually paid for her!!!

By looking through this website and the recommendations made, I did research on all the insurance companies out there. We eventually went with Trupanion because it seems to be the only insurance company that covers congenital and hereditary health issues. I believe VPI did, but only 12 months after the policy was taken out.

So get good insurance and get good insurance now because the chances of your english bulldog going to cost you a minor fortune sometime in the future is 99.99999% definite!!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
What have you been able to claim, if any?

Oh my so much. I have VPI major medical with the routine care coverage. We've claimed a night Samson spent in the hospital for constant vomiting, the surgery to remove a toy he swallowed, ear infections, when we found out about his inverted tail, his allergy appointments, all kinds of stuff. Because we have the routine care coverage I also get reimbursements for his heartworm & flea medications, annual heartworm test, vaccines, routine exams, his neuter, etc.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
If you wouldnt mind, what is the premium for the VPI major medical with the routine care coverage?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
If you wouldnt mind, what is the premium for the VPI major medical with the routine care coverage?

I pay like $53 a month. It has been totally worth it for us because of all the problems we've had with Sam. In the 4 years I've had it I have been reimbursed more than I have actually paid for the policy itself.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sick of reading pet insurance fine print... LOL I'm finding that what they pay varies alot from company to company.... also makes a difference on how much you pay for the premium. VPI seems to pay a fixed amount for each illness/injury, etc. It looks like the examples they show are around 60 some percent. Other companies pay 80% but their premium is higher. I'll keep at it and let you know what else I find.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure I learned much more........ just more confused... LOL

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I have insurance on Bertie! It is through Trupanion, and it is excellant! It paid for both cherry eye surgery on both eyes, Soft pallet reduction surgery, opening of her nares and a couple other things. I faxed the paperwork in and had a check in less than two weeks.
I pay less than $50 a month and Bertie is covered for any illness or accidents and also is covered for hip displaysia. It doesn't cover vaccinations, but I don't c are about that. I also have NO deductible and there is no lifetime limit and no limits at all anymore.
I also have had my cocker spaniel insured through them for the past 3 years. Trupanion also covers hereditary conditions!
It covers 90% and there is are no caps or limits on payouts.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have insurance on Bertie! It is through Trupanion, and it is excellant! It paid for both cherry eye surgery on both eyes, Soft pallet reduction surgery, opening of her nares and a couple other things. I faxed the paperwork in and had a check in less than two weeks.
I pay less than $50 a month and Bertie is covered for any illness or accidents and also is covered for hip displaysia. It doesn't cover vaccinations, but I don't c are about that. I also have NO deductible and there is no lifetime limit and no limits at all anymore.
I also have had my cocker spaniel insured through them for the past 3 years. Trupanion also covers hereditary conditions!
It covers 90% and there is are no caps or limits on payouts.

When I researched pet insurance, it was finally Trupanion that we went with because of the fact that they will cover congenital and hereditary conditions which Bulldogs get a lot of!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.