Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 24

Thread: Weigh Pul, Harnessesl and Bulldogs

  1. #1
    Dog Groomer
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    608
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Weigh Pul, Harnessesl and Bulldogs

    Bulldogs of all kinds do weight pulling. That's one of the kinds of WORK they are designed to do. I've seen videos of 30 pound Shortys and huge American and Oldes doing pull. Many do it competitively. I don't know how our EBs would fare with that because of their breathing but you can use them to pull a little cart around the yard or neighborhood. If you've kids, they'd love that. In order to do weight pulling without hurting themselves it's best to have a weight pull harness. I asked a friend who has champion weight pullers from tiny to huge who would be the best, most affordable company to get harnesses from for an EB. He responded with LAKEVIEW HARNESSES. I took a look at their site and each harness is designed for the specific dog it's being made for and all her product lines are tested on her own dogs before she adds them to her inventory. If you're interested, check her out.

    If anyone is interested in this I can post videos of dogs I'm familiar with doing weight pull and find out which You tube videos are best to use to teach you how to teach your dog. Just respond to this post if interested and I'll see what I can do to get the info needed. If folks are interested in training their dogs to do this I will see if I can get a couple of my friends to either join here or the Facebook page so they can share directly.

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    savemejeebus's Avatar
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    6,208
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    230
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Weigh Pul, Harnessesl and Bulldogs

    Sounds interesting!

    But I must caution though, that bully legs are prone to acl tears and luxating patellas. Even the healthiest can get injured if there's prolonged pressure. Pls be careful!

    A vid would be great to watch. Pls go ahead and post!
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

  3. #3
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    TessaAndSamson's Avatar
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,262
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    8
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Weigh Pul, Harnessesl and Bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    But I must caution though, that bully legs are prone to acl tears and luxating patellas. Even the healthiest can get injured if there's prolonged pressure. Pls be careful!
    That does sound interesting, I know newfies love to pull carts! But like savemejeebus mentioned, I would be worried about those kind of injuries. Wonder what carts they would use, would have to be mighty short for a bulldog to comfortably pull it LOL

    "Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

  4. #4
    ..........
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    0
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Weigh Pul, Harnessesl and Bulldogs

    I wouldnt take the chance of injuring HRH.... Besides I cant see her pulling anything heavier than her treat dish anyway. No thank you.

  5. #5
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    13,246
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)
    1557

    Default Re: Weigh Pul, Harnessesl and Bulldogs

    Well in my opinion bullies should not be used for this as they really aren't and were not breed to do this type of activity. Taking a chance on a leg injury.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie


  6. #6
    .........
    Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    2,981
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Re: Weigh Pul, Harnessesl and Bulldogs

    I can see the breed doing it from a strength stand point, but personally I wouldn't do it for fear of them getting injured. They are already prone to hip and joint issues why push the envelope, this falls into the same category of training them to compete in agility contests.

  7. #7
    Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Libra926's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    7,813
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1148
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default Re: Weigh Pul, Harnessesl and Bulldogs

    EBs are classified as NON working class. I don't think they were designed to do anything..but love their humans. At one time their sole purpose was bull baiting, but that has long been outlawed. Since that time, the EBs have been bred for companionship only. At least that's what I've read. Where are you seeing that they were DESIGNED to work as weight pullers? And why would you want to subject a dog who already has problems breathing to something so unnecessary? Mine can barely run around the yard for less than a few minutes without getting winded. No way would I send them around the neighborhood pulling kids in a cart just for fun.

  8. #8
    My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Twice's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bev
    Location
    Woodbridge Township, NJ
    Posts
    2,711
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Weigh Pul, Harnessesl and Bulldogs

    The only thing I can see Otis pulling is my last nerve

    As fun as I think it would be to watch, I too would worry about injuries. He also has a severe hatred of anything with wheels so I doubt it would be for him anyway. But he does pull me around the house in my computer chair, he seems to like doing that.

    For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012


    Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

  9. #9
    Dog Groomer
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    608
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Weigh Pul, Harnessesl and Bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by linwhite View Post
    Bulldogs of all kinds do weight pulling. That's one of the kinds of WORK they are designed to do. I've seen videos of 30 pound Shortys and huge American and Oldes doing pull. Many do it competitively. I don't know how our EBs would fare with that because of their breathing but you can use them to pull a little cart around the yard or neighborhood. If you've kids, they'd love that. In order to do weight pulling without hurting themselves it's best to have a weight pull harness. I asked a friend who has champion weight pullers from tiny to huge who would be the best, most affordable company to get harnesses from for an EB. He responded with LAKEVIEW HARNESSES. I took a look at their site and each harness is designed for the specific dog it's being made for and all her product lines are tested on her own dogs before she adds them to her inventory. If you're interested, check her out.

    If anyone is interested in this I can post videos of dogs I'm familiar with doing weight pull and find out which You tube videos are best to use to teach you how to teach your dog. Just respond to this post if interested and I'll see what I can do to get the info needed. If folks are interested in training their dogs to do this I will see if I can get a couple of my friends to either join here or the Facebook page so they can share directly.
    I forget that folks here think of only english bulldogs while I generally refer to all types of bulldogs. I posted this because someone mentioned using their dog to help pull a heavy cart up a hill. I wanted to make sure they knew that a harness was available to help the dog do that with less stress. I am well aware of the shortcomings of most EB's ability to breath. However SOME of them can actually do this kind of stuff. I would no more suggest a dog with breathing difficulties do this than I would suggest they take up snorkeling.

    that being said, If you have a healthy breathing EB and want more info PM me.

  10. #10
    Dog Groomer
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    608
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Weigh Pul, Harnessesl and Bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    EBs are classified as NON working class. I don't think they were designed to do anything..but love their humans. At one time their sole purpose was bull baiting, but that has long been outlawed. Since that time, the EBs have been bred for companionship only. At least that's what I've read. Where are you seeing that they were DESIGNED to work as weight pullers? And why would you want to subject a dog who already has problems breathing to something so unnecessary? Mine can barely run around the yard for less than a few minutes without getting winded. No way would I send them around the neighborhood pulling kids in a cart just for fun.
    @Libra926 Do you think I don't know what category EBs are in? I figure anyone who might be interested had an EB who could actually free breathe. Some of them can, you know. I'm sorry yours can't.

  11. #11
    Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Libra926's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    7,813
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1148
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default Re: Weigh Pul, Harnessesl and Bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by linwhite View Post
    That's one of the kinds of WORK they are designed to do.
    I'm sorry...I must have misread your post. Nope...you did say that they were designed to WORK. Emphasis on work. It's not the issue of whether my bulldogs can or can't. Why you would subject an English Bulldog to "pull some kids around the neighborhood in a cart" is beyond me. It's the makeup of an EB. That's why they are inseminated. Breathing issues. You don't want the male or female overheating. It's a known fact that they overheat easily. It's not just my opinion. Whether you forgot that most of us have EBs on this EB site or not.

  12. #12
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Weigh Pul, Harnessesl and Bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by linwhite View Post
    @Libra926 Do you think I don't know what category EBs are in? I figure anyone who might be interested had an EB who could actually free breathe. Some of them can, you know. I'm sorry yours can't.

    Wow..that seems a wee bit harsh. I intended to be light and try to be humorous in my response. But honestly, there isn't a bully I know that would benefit from pullin much more than a leash. To me it just seems irresponsible to hitch your bully up on a wagon. What they were doing many years ago really has nothing to do with THESE bulldogs.

    Funny thing is..I was just talking to my granddaughter about Jack..the English Bulldog in Little House on the Praire..she is reading the books. We were laughing at how THAT Jack ran alongside their covered wagon from back east to Minnesota. We were laughing at the idea of Jake doing that. Not possible and certainly not responsible.
    We had a Rottie before Jake. They were bred to haul meat wagons through German villages. I doubt most Rotties could do this today either.

    Nothing personal here..just my thoughts.
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 01-14-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •