Weigh Pul, Harnessesl and Bulldogs

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hmmm.. well maybe back in the 1600s when the bulldog was in it's orginal form it could have pulled a cart or small wagon. That was when they were bred to bait and fight bulls as a sport in England.

Since then as the sport died out, they have been bred to be a paticular shape and size. Not in anyway the right form to pull wagons and carts.

The breathing aspect and over-heating is something that concerns me, however my immediate thought was the damage to their joints. I don't think their legs would take the pulling of anything these days. I know too many with hip dysplasia, luxating patellas and torn acls ... so why would you risk it. :down:

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Personally I think every bully is different. Mimi was not bothered by 100 degree days and would walk over Rough trails for miles when it was 90 degrees outside (plenty of water required). She would run back and forth in the back yard for an hour, playing with the dog on the other side of the fence when it was really hot outside. Tyler didn't care for the heat and preferred the nice cool tile after sunning for a while. Rudy seems in between. Mila is like Mimi and is not affected by heat or exercise. Mimi (RIP) and Mila would be perfectly capable of pulling a cart with a reasonable amount of weight. Tyler (RIP) and Rudy could probably pull more weight for shorter periods of time. If I was to try it, it would be light weights, more to Make them part of the team. They always seem to want to Help me with my home projects. If I can teach them how to cut 2x4s and drive nails I will be set. Btw I keep my bully's on the lean side which, in my opinion, allows for better heat tolerance, breathing and stamina.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Personally I think every bully is different. Mimi was not bothered by 100 degree days and would walk over Rough trails for miles when it was 90 degrees outside (plenty of water required). She would run back and forth in the back yard for an hour, playing with the dog on the other side of the fence when it was really hot outside. Tyler didn't care for the heat and preferred the nice cool tile after sunning for a while. Rudy seems in between. Mila is like Mimi and is not affected by heat or exercise. Mimi (RIP) and Mila would be perfectly capable of pulling a cart with a reasonable amount of weight. Tyler (RIP) and Rudy could probably pull more weight for shorter periods of time. If I was to try it, it would be light weights, more to Make them part of the team. They always seem to want to Help me with my home projects. If I can teach them how to cut 2x4s and drive nails I will be set. Btw I keep my bully's on the lean side which, in my opinion, allows for better heat tolerance, breathing and stamina.

Yes
..Jake is a hiker too..we live near a mountain park and he loves his trek to the waterfall..he is lean too and can do much more than even his littermates. I do have concerns over muscle and skeletal wear n tear. They can look fine on the outside and just get injured with an incorrect landing off a sofa or bed..and even playing too rough. I guess we all know our Bully's the best..it's honestly the unknown that scares me. Plus even raising our two daughters..I always erred on the side of caution..cuz I'm a worry wort! :ROFL:

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Yes
..Jake is a hiker too..we live near a mountain park and he loves his trek to the waterfall..he is lean too and can do much more than even his littermates. I do have concerns over muscle and skeletal wear n tear. They can look fine on the outside and just get injured with an incorrect landing off a sofa or bed..and even playing too rough. I guess we all know our Bully's the best..it's honestly the unknown that scares me. Plus even raising our two daughters..I always erred on the side of caution..cuz I'm a worry wort! :ROFL:

Yep, every bully is different. Mimi (RIP) was very active for most of her 10-1/2 year life. She only started to slow down, a Little, the last couple months of her life. Tyler, aka the freight train, was active for short periods. Rudy is somewhere in between, Mila is a friggin maniac. I May have to put her on riddlin to keep her from Flying through the house like superwoman.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yep, every bully is different. Mimi (RIP) was very active for most of her 10-1/2 year life. She only started to slow down, a Little, the last couple months of her life. Tyler, aka the freight train, was active for short periods. Rudy is somewhere in between, Mila is a friggin maniac. I May have to put her on riddlin to keep her from Flying through the house like superwoman.

Well I always say These Bully's are like kids...Mila is your Wild Child! Good luck!!

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Luckily dogs don't learn to stay out all night, drink, smoke pot and do the wild thing. LOL

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I've been tagged here... must be my "Bo pulls a cart post"? It's around here somewhere.

Bo's cart pulling is mostly a mental exercise; not because i don't think he can PULL a cart -- he certainly could -- but that's not the point of our exercise. Bo first needs a challenge (both mental and physical) and that's why we pull a wagon full of recycling to the dumpster area four or five blocks away from home. He's in no physical danger and he's yet to start panting, actually, from the effort. Empty cans and rose bush trimmings aren't heavy anyway. He could pull them by himself easily with little effort. Bo is 75 lbs and a much longer legged EB for sure.

On the other hand, Bea could NOT do it. She's built like a holiday ham and more typically English Bulldog in stamina (or lack of ). Someday, I hope Bo can pull Bea in that dang wagon!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I've been tagged here... must be my "Bo pulls a cart post"? It's around here somewhere.

Bo's cart pulling is mostly a mental exercise; not because i don't think he can PULL a cart -- he certainly could -- but that's not the point of our exercise. Bo first needs a challenge (both mental and physical) and that's why we pull a wagon full of recycling to the dumpster area four or five blocks away from home. He's in no physical danger and he's yet to start panting, actually, from the effort. Empty cans and rose bush trimmings aren't heavy anyway. He could pull them by himself easily with little effort. Bo is 75 lbs and a much longer legged EB for sure.

On the other hand, Bea could NOT do it. She's built like a holiday ham and more typically English Bulldog in stamina (or lack of ). Someday, I hope Bo can pull Bea in that dang wagon!
It sounds like he NEEDS to pull her. :lol:
i don't have much to add here really. Cutty is in great shape, as is Miila but yet t 6 years old he managed to tear his acl just playing. Before that I never worried about those things. Now I am afraid to play fetch which is sad cuz he is fetch obsessed. I would be worried about the strain to the joints etc also for pulling any kind of heavy weight.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Olde English bulldogs, American bulldogs, Alapaha blue blooded bulldog, Catahoula bulldog. These are breeds of bulldogs that would safely be able to pull weights. These competitions are very hard on the dogs joints and so on. I've been to these competitions an seen dogs getting injured while competing. English bulldogs are strong but nowhere near as strong as the dogs that compete in pulling. Working dogs that compete do love the stimulation of pulling but I truly think these dogs gets pushed way to hard! I mean for gods sake why does a dog need to pull a cart that weighs 4k lbs?! Bottom line is 99% of English bulldogs wouldn't be able to handle this type of activity.

Members online

No members online now.