Weigh Pul, Harnessesl and Bulldogs

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Bulldogs of all kinds do weight pulling. That's one of the kinds of WORK they are designed to do. I've seen videos of 30 pound Shortys and huge American and Oldes doing pull. Many do it competitively. I don't know how our EBs would fare with that because of their breathing but you can use them to pull a little cart around the yard or neighborhood. If you've kids, they'd love that. In order to do weight pulling without hurting themselves it's best to have a weight pull harness. I asked a friend who has champion weight pullers from tiny to huge who would be the best, most affordable company to get harnesses from for an EB. He responded with LAKEVIEW HARNESSES. I took a look at their site and each harness is designed for the specific dog it's being made for and all her product lines are tested on her own dogs before she adds them to her inventory. If you're interested, check her out.

If anyone is interested in this I can post videos of dogs I'm familiar with doing weight pull and find out which You tube videos are best to use to teach you how to teach your dog. Just respond to this post if interested and I'll see what I can do to get the info needed. If folks are interested in training their dogs to do this I will see if I can get a couple of my friends to either join here or the Facebook page so they can share directly.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
:hmm: Sounds interesting!

But I must caution though, that bully legs are prone to acl tears and luxating patellas. Even the healthiest can get injured if there's prolonged pressure. Pls be careful!

A vid would be great to watch. Pls go ahead and post! :)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
But I must caution though, that bully legs are prone to acl tears and luxating patellas. Even the healthiest can get injured if there's prolonged pressure. Pls be careful!

That does sound interesting, I know newfies love to pull carts! But like savemejeebus mentioned, I would be worried about those kind of injuries. Wonder what carts they would use, would have to be mighty short for a bulldog to comfortably pull it LOL

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I wouldnt take the chance of injuring HRH.... Besides I cant see her pulling anything heavier than her treat dish anyway. No thank you.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well in my opinion bullies should not be used for this as they really aren't and were not breed to do this type of activity. Taking a chance on a leg injury.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I can see the breed doing it from a strength stand point, but personally I wouldn't do it for fear of them getting injured. They are already prone to hip and joint issues why push the envelope, this falls into the same category of training them to compete in agility contests.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
EBs are classified as NON working class. I don't think they were designed to do anything..but love their humans. At one time their sole purpose was bull baiting, but that has long been outlawed. Since that time, the EBs have been bred for companionship only. At least that's what I've read. Where are you seeing that they were DESIGNED to work as weight pullers? And why would you want to subject a dog who already has problems breathing to something so unnecessary? Mine can barely run around the yard for less than a few minutes without getting winded. No way would I send them around the neighborhood pulling kids in a cart just for fun.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
The only thing I can see Otis pulling is my last nerve :laugh:

As fun as I think it would be to watch, I too would worry about injuries. He also has a severe hatred of anything with wheels so I doubt it would be for him anyway. But he does pull me around the house in my computer chair, he seems to like doing that.

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldogs of all kinds do weight pulling. That's one of the kinds of WORK they are designed to do. I've seen videos of 30 pound Shortys and huge American and Oldes doing pull. Many do it competitively. I don't know how our EBs would fare with that because of their breathing but you can use them to pull a little cart around the yard or neighborhood. If you've kids, they'd love that. In order to do weight pulling without hurting themselves it's best to have a weight pull harness. I asked a friend who has champion weight pullers from tiny to huge who would be the best, most affordable company to get harnesses from for an EB. He responded with LAKEVIEW HARNESSES. I took a look at their site and each harness is designed for the specific dog it's being made for and all her product lines are tested on her own dogs before she adds them to her inventory. If you're interested, check her out.

If anyone is interested in this I can post videos of dogs I'm familiar with doing weight pull and find out which You tube videos are best to use to teach you how to teach your dog. Just respond to this post if interested and I'll see what I can do to get the info needed. If folks are interested in training their dogs to do this I will see if I can get a couple of my friends to either join here or the Facebook page so they can share directly.

I forget that folks here think of only english bulldogs while I generally refer to all types of bulldogs. I posted this because someone mentioned using their dog to help pull a heavy cart up a hill. I wanted to make sure they knew that a harness was available to help the dog do that with less stress. I am well aware of the shortcomings of most EB's ability to breath. However SOME of them can actually do this kind of stuff. I would no more suggest a dog with breathing difficulties do this than I would suggest they take up snorkeling.

that being said, If you have a healthy breathing EB and want more info PM me.

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
EBs are classified as NON working class. I don't think they were designed to do anything..but love their humans. At one time their sole purpose was bull baiting, but that has long been outlawed. Since that time, the EBs have been bred for companionship only. At least that's what I've read. Where are you seeing that they were DESIGNED to work as weight pullers? And why would you want to subject a dog who already has problems breathing to something so unnecessary? Mine can barely run around the yard for less than a few minutes without getting winded. No way would I send them around the neighborhood pulling kids in a cart just for fun.

[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] Do you think I don't know what category EBs are in? I figure anyone who might be interested had an EB who could actually free breathe. Some of them can, you know. I'm sorry yours can't.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
That's one of the kinds of WORK they are designed to do.

I'm sorry...I must have misread your post. Nope...you did say that they were designed to WORK. Emphasis on work. It's not the issue of whether my bulldogs can or can't. Why you would subject an English Bulldog to "pull some kids around the neighborhood in a cart" is beyond me. It's the makeup of an EB. That's why they are inseminated. Breathing issues. You don't want the male or female overheating. It's a known fact that they overheat easily. It's not just my opinion. Whether you forgot that most of us have EBs on this EB site or not.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@Libra926 Do you think I don't know what category EBs are in? I figure anyone who might be interested had an EB who could actually free breathe. Some of them can, you know. I'm sorry yours can't.

Wow..that seems a wee bit harsh. I intended to be light and try to be humorous in my response. But honestly, there isn't a bully I know that would benefit from pullin much more than a leash. To me it just seems irresponsible to hitch your bully up on a wagon. What they were doing many years ago really has nothing to do with THESE bulldogs.

Funny thing is..I was just talking to my granddaughter about Jack..the English Bulldog in Little House on the Praire..she is reading the books. We were laughing at how THAT Jack ran alongside their covered wagon from back east to Minnesota. We were laughing at the idea of Jake doing that. Not possible and certainly not responsible.
We had a Rottie before Jake. They were bred to haul meat wagons through German villages. I doubt most Rotties could do this today either.

Nothing personal here..just my thoughts.

Last edited:

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Interesting article; my Amber is only interested in pulling pant legs, shoelaces, drapes 9we went to short curtains this past weekend and shower curtains. She isn't too big on manual labor unless it involves digging up a few carrots for her next snack. lol

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Who knows what exactly EB's were originally bred to do. The story changes on whatever website you go to. The fact is, TODAY'S bulldogs can't handle that kind of stress. The breed has changed so much in the last 100 years it doesn't even look like the same dog

Capture.JPG

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well it will be a sad day if someone who is new to the bulldog breed and doesn't know any better and thinks it's cute to have their bully pull a cart with their kids on a warm sunny day and the bully died of heat exhaustion. I know of people who have lost their bully from heat exhaustion just from walking them too long on a hot day. Just a warning.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.