Fostering Goldie

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
006.jpgfemale #2.jpg

meet Goldie. She is a 6 year unspayed female who will need surgery on her eyes as well as being spayed. Her story as I know it is: She was used for breeding and when it came time for retirement, her original owner said if she couldn't find a home, she was going to euthanize her. Sebastian and Oliver's breeder took her in and then got in touch with me in case I knew anyone who wanted her. One of Ron's plumbing contractor's took her in but once he found out how expensive her eye surgery was going to be and the fact that she was left in her crate home alone for about 8 hours gave her back to us today to find her a home where someone would be home most of the day and could give her the attention she deserves.

I don't mind fostering her, she's a really sweet girl with only one glitch for our house. We've been told that she doesn't really like other dogs and she does show mild aggression towards the boys if they are not crated when she's around. I would like to slowly introduce her to Remy since he's the only one neutered so far and then integrate the other two into the mix and have them all get along for the most part. I know there will always be squabbles (Sebastian and Oliver act like they hate each other sometimes) but I would like to have them all out and free rein of the house while supervised. I feel this will also help her find a forever home if I can say that she gets along with other dogs. She doesn't seem to mind our cat, so that's one problem solved.

So any advice you more experienced people can offer on how the best way to do this would be really appreciated. She is very sweet and loving and seems to have really taken a liking to Ron. Even when we had her here just for a couple of hours back in November she was attached to him and nothing seems to have changed. She loves kids and is very healthy except for needing entropian surgery.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Kim I would love to give you the biggest hug for giving her a foster home and preparing her for her fur-ever home, I'm thrilled you are doing this for her!!!!

In the beginning just to keep your boys safe from any bites I would say keep Goldie on a lead so that you have means of control, when she shows the very first sign of impending aggression, give her a quick correction to redirect her thinking. Make sure she has a space to go where she can feel safe and secure, just in case she needs some alone time. Start some simple command training with her, so she feels important with her new job ... things that will help her with her fur-ever home like sit, lay down, leave it and stay will go far in helping her and any potty training issues as well. and the thing that I always say and mean the most, set clear Rules, Boundaries & Limitations for her so she knows what is expected of her and of course always be Consistent .... I know these are all things you do with the boys already but will be knew to her. Good Luck and I'm just so happy you are fostering her :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Unfortunately we don't have a clue. Since we have only HRH we haven't had to deal with trying to introduce another to her territory. Not sure how she would take to it. She mostly ignores other dogs when we take her out. But we really have no clue how she would react to another coming into her space.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Kim... Bravo for taking her in. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but HRH has ruled her kingdom alone so hasnt been with other dogs except at meet-ups. And there, she just pretty much ignores everyone except us.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
How about a regular regimen of daily, nice, long pack walks? (where the humans are the leader, of course)

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
She's so cute! Love that bulldog smile :)

When we foster a dog that isn't great with other dogs we use babygates. We separate them, one in the kitchen and our resident dogs in the living room. (I spend pretty much my whole evening in the kitchen cooking and reading so it works well lol). That way I can monitor the reactions through the gate and we work our way up from there. I let them all out together for potty time....the new dog drags a leash behind so I can quickly get control if need be but it usually goes well because the dogs are focused on the goal of getting outside and back in quick.

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks everyone. Right now we have them separated by their crates. When Goldie is allowed the run of the house, the other three are crated. She will go up to Sebastian's crate and lean on it and kind of sit down for a second and they sniff each other and then she walks away. She's very unsettled while she's out, constantly wants attention and wandering around getting the lay of the land. She was in a crate her entire life and has a callous on her left leg because of it. She wasn't treated very well and I just don't think she was socialized with other dogs. People, she adores and is constantly jumping up to get attention. Last night when I fed her, she just kind of nibbled at her food and Ron asked John if she was a light eater and he said yes. This morning after the boys had been let out and had their breakfast, I let her out and fed her and she ate her whole bowl (maybe the greek yogurt that was mixed in had something to do with it).

She's been pretty good about potty training (had no clue what was expected before John took her). He said she's only had a couple of pee accidents in their house and in her crate but no poo. It's just sad to see a 6 year old bullie with not training and socialization whatsoever, especially one as affectionate and starving for attention as she is.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I don't have much experience with ex breeders but I can tell you how I handle dogs who don't want to get along with others.

Crate the new guy. Leave her in the crate until your regulars completely ignore her and she ignores them. When the sniffing, growling and barking is over take her out but keep her on a leash close to you. The Ceaser folks say this tells the other dogs that she is your property and is to be respected. I don't know about all that but keeping her on a leash gives you more control over her. There will probably be more sniffing and growling so keep her close and stop any aggression you can. Eventually they will start to ignore each other again. At this point you can let go of the leash but keep it attached to her so you can grab it easily if needed. Toys are a big no. Most fights in my house happen because everyone wants the same toy so I take those away until everyone can be in the same place at the same time peacefully. Then I break out a couple of NEW toys. Toys that nobody owns, have nobody's scent on and aren't anybody's favorite. For training purposes I get a bunch of cheap ones at the dollar store, they aren't supposed to last long so I don't lose a lot of money here.

Feed them all at the same time in different rooms but make sure hers is the last bowl to touch the floor and the first one picked up. I keep everyone separate until the last dog (usually Roxy) is finished eating.

In a couple of days they should all be able to get along with minimal supervision. At least that's been my experience. I've never had to separate them for anything other than feeding for more than 2 days.

I think you're an angel for taking her in. :angelheart:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
@kim n the guys - Just wanted to check in and see how things with the boys and Goldie are going ... hope it's going good :)

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@kim n the guys - Just wanted to check in and see how things with the boys and Goldie are going ... hope it's going good :)

we've progressed to letting her and Remy go outside to potty together. She doesn't seem TOO aggressive with him. He wants to play and does the prey bow and barks at her and she either ignores him or starts to chase him but the hair on her back by her tail is raised. If I call her name, she stops and comes to me. Inside the house, she tries to hump him and when we break it up she will get aggressive with him and not want to be separated. I still haven't let her have contact with Oliver and Sebastian except through the crate.

I think she is going to be hard to find a home for because she is going to need eye surgery, spayed, and possibly pallet work done. When she wakes up in the morning, she sounds phlegmy and coughs for about 15-20 minutes trying to clear her throat. I don't know too many people who would be willing to take that on. Unfortunately, Detroit Bulldog Rescue can't list her as up for adoption on their site because she didn't come through them so it's up to me to try a forever home for her. I think it's going to be very challenging.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Unfortunately, Detroit Bulldog Rescue can't list her as up for adoption on their site because she didn't come through them so it's up to me to try a forever home for her. I think it's going to be very challenging.

Hang in there, hopefully she will come around ... can she be listed through the rescue section in here?

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hang in there, hopefully she will come around ... can she be listed through the rescue section in here?

I don't know. I was going to message Roe and find out.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=2152]kim n the guys[/MENTION] - good luck I hope that can be worked out so you have help finding her a forever home

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.