How does your bully let you know he has to go?

freddyisagirlsname

Jan 4, 2013
Key West, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Iggy
This may seem like a silly question, but as I mentioned before I am a first-time fur-mama. :)

How does your bully let you know he has to go outside? At what age did he/she start letting you know? Does he/she bark or scratch at the door? Or does he/she just go out at certain times when you take him/her?

Right now we have Iggy on a very regimented schedule - he goes out first thing in the morning, 15-20 minutes after each meal, after nap time, and last thing before he goes to bed. He's crate trained, and he's never had an accident in there. Will he soon start letting me know on his own when he has to go out? Or will he continue to wait for me to take him at his set times? He's almost 4 months old and has very few accidents (maybe one every 3-ish days).

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Ruckus is easy. He will gremlin talk and if we don't get right up he will nudge and moan until we do. Lola would just go in the house without any sign. Ugh! She was a stray found on the street. We put bells on the door we always use so we could hear her if she went to the door. We take her out constantly. Immediately upon waking and soon after eating. On Friday she actually went to the door and barked! Yay!!! I was beyond excited!! She's getting better ever day😃 I just get upset thinking where/what she came from.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka will sit at the top of the stairs and stare out as if deep in thought lol, eventually making the most pitiful crying sounds if we don't notice. When he is feeling brave he will venture down the stairs on his own an sit on his bum in front of the door staring up the stairs at us. If he REALLY has to go, he will bark :p. I don't think he has had an accident since about 5 months old and he will be a year Feb 3rd.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
We hung the bells from the doorknob and jingled them every time we took them out. They caught on to that fairly quickly. Then we invested in doggy doors. Now they just excuse themselves and go out whenever they need.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bogey is only 3 months, so I watch him like a hawk. I take him out on the same schedule you do and have the same results. Bogey will go to the door and sit, but we have only a few seconds to decide if he is just sitting there on the rug ( which he does frequently) or if he needs to pee. We' ve guessed wrong on occasion! So far no outward warning that he has to go. We tried the bells- he thinks they are a tug toy! Ya gotta love them!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
eventually they will go to the door or talk to you. Since you are a first timer. Just a reminder to keep the tail pocket extra clean and the nose rope. Stuff will grow in these areas and get very very sore.

:smileywelcome:

Jump in and don't be afraid to ask anything. We love love pictures, post as many as possible :2thumbs:

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
We didnt crate train Meeko but everytime we took him out the back yard we would get his paw and lift it to lightly scratch the door and praise him for doin it then goin out the back. He soon clicked on and taps the door himself now x

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
We take Usko out at least three times a day and he doesn't have to go in between. We got our new baby home today, so he just goes...

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Only two of mine will tap ..... Daddy and Tia ... the rest will just go back to the door and stare at it as if they are willing it to open on it's own!!!!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Izzy just started to ring the bell but she is 6 months now and the bell became a training tool and no longer a toy for her! Yayyyyy :)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
at 6 months old Lola finally started walking to the backdoor instead of one of us carrying her to the backdoor but we still have to round her up and dribble her soccer style to go out.we have a pretty regimented schedule. but Lola will give us a stare that is just seconds longer than usual if she has to poop out of schedule.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
It took Remi a while. At first we were a slave to scheduled potty breaks because he really gave no warning other than a little subtle sniffing before peeing or poohing on the floor.

Now, he rings his bells. I LOVE IT.

M

mabel lou

Mine step up on the step leading to my kitchen and just stair and stair and stair and stair some more. But from where i sit at allows me to be able to see them and i ask "what do you want?" And they start wiggling around so i then say "so you have to go potty?" And straight to the door they go:2thumbs:. Prior to that it was me always saying potty to them and they would go. They also went through a time of wearing depends as well due to my rescue girl going through a time of getting really sick and when she got better she started peeing and the other girl picked up on it. I had to go back to the basics of monitoring everything and documenting everything. I even went as far as setting my alarm clock at night to get up twice a night to make sure they went potty. Today we are successful in potty at my house. Love the stair they give me lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.