Puppy eating plants??

Twiegs

Dec 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My puppy is 12 weeks old and constantly wants to eat the plants in the backyard. When he goes out, it is pretty much non stop. Is this normal or could he be missing something in his diet? He is on Fromms puppy eating 2 cups total each day.

Thanks!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Be careful with that, many plants can make a puppy ill or worse, deter your puppy from eating plants, grass is ok, other ornamental plants, not so much. Some are even toxic.

They don't know right from wrong and will put everything in their mouths

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
We have some berries here on some trees and Lola tries to eat them and I stop her because I just dont know if they are toxic but I wouldnt take the chance!

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
I would recommend checking what plants are on the menu. Some plants are very toxic, some will give them an upset tummy and some will just piss you off because they are one of the plants you like. Some of the palms can be deadly so we removed them from our yard, Luckily before we got Mila because she would have Darwind herself by now.

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Puppies in general want to explore their world, and become the master of it. The best way a puppy knows to explore or experience is through his mouth. You have to be very careful with a bulldog puppy because it is absolutely 100% in his nature to swallow everything that goes in that huge mouth. Plants, furniture, clothes, electronic cables and devices... they'll try anything and they can't tell it isn't any good for them.

My 2 1/2 year old bulldoggy still likes to eat a little grass, even when his tummy isn't upset. He is also extremely fond of the Lantana plant out front, but I don't know if it's poisonous so we keep him away from it.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
It's very normal. Plants also have bark and they love bark, twigs and sticks. Take note of what type of plants are you in your yard because as [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] said many are toxic to dogs. Also Wilson did this and will still try to eat the branches of my lilac bush. He gets scolded each time with a firm NO!

Last edited:
OP
T

Twiegs

Dec 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Totally normal judging by my pups. Be very careful tho cuz plants you might not know are bad can be. In fact I had a fern in my yard forever and every once in a while a pup would throw it up. I thought of it like grass and thought nothing of it. All of a sudden Cutty started eating it and throwing up often, I googled it.... Ferns can cause vomiting and diarrhea. What a bad mama. I had no idea. Miila eats grass daily as part of her diet, crazy girl.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber has graduated to "Master Gardener" she eats everything and anything and if we aren't watching her digs up carrots and root crops to chomp on them. I dug everything out of the yard that was poisonous to her so all my plants are pet friendly. The only thing I have bad is grapvines and I had a construction team come in and build a full fence that partitions off that side of the yard so she can not get in there. She loves chewing on the firewood and the grass and now since the grass turned brown she rolls in it to scratch her back. The old girl does it too, must feel good to them, neither has allergies of any kind so it is just a plain old back scratch. I would recommend researching all the plants in your yard and find out if you have any toxic to pets and consider relocating them or fencing them off. Good luck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.