cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm asking this question b/c I have thought about this and then put the idea on the back burner, only for it to resurface.

After reading about [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] and her fostering adventures, I have been inspired to look into fostering a bulldog, but I'm honestly not sure I have what it takes to do so. I worry how bringing in a new bully will affect Tate and Finn: Finn can be territorial and may not welcome a new addition. I'm concerned that I'll take away quality time w/my two guys if I have a new bully to care for. Do I have the time to take care of another bully? Am I financially capable to care for a 3rd one? So many concerns I have that i get a little scared and then forget the idea altogether.

For those of you who are fostering, or have fostered, or are familiar with the fostering process, can you share some thoughts about it?

Thanks!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Henny, you do have what it takes, because you love bullies. My suggestion to you with your two boys is, if you decide to do it, get a female. It will be a little easier on the boys. When we fostered Cash, we had to keep him and Buddy separated in different rooms as they did not get along at all, and if they even saw each other the fight was on. It is very rewarding and you can get attached to them quick, and don't want to see them go, but it's nice to see them get a loving family also. We received Cash from an individual so all the vet bills and his knee surgery was all on us, so that got pretty expensive and we did not charge his fur-ever family anything for him, as we knew them and knew they would give him a great and loving home, and that's all we wanted. If you go through a rescue they will pick up the vet bills usually, but I would check with them. You ought to try it at least one time, then you will know for sure in your mind if you are really cut out to foster. But I think you will get hooked on it and just love it.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I imagine it depends on the Rescue you're fostering for. Both what they are looking for in a person to foster and what expenses and activities they expect of you.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks David. A female bulldog is a great idea. I remember when I was thinking of adopting another bully, the trainer suggested i get a female as well. I can state that in my application.

I think I'm also worried about not being home with the foster bully since i work out of the house all day. Tate and Finn are used to their schedule and mine by now. But the foster bully would just have to get used to her new schedule, I suppose. I just don't want to cause unhappiness for the foster. When I fill out the application I'll just state all my concerns and the rescue will screen all that, do their home interview/check, and just take it from there.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hmm: I would let you practice on Jake...but pink isn't his color..besides Da Boyz didn't like him much! You can do anything Henny...I know it!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
:hmm: I would let you practice on Jake...but pink isn't his color..besides Da Boyz didn't like him much! You can do anything Henny...I know it!

Becky, I think my boys would like Jake a lot if he wore a pink collar! We need to do a do-over with the boys meeting each other again :retreat: Maybe just Tate and Jake at the park next time. But Jake has to share his ball! :hissycry:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Becky, I think my boys would like Jake a lot if he wore a pink collar! We need to do a do-over with the boys meeting each other again :retreat: Maybe just Tate and Jake at the park next time. But Jake has to share his ball! :hissycry:

:ROFL: Jake doesn't have the sharing gene! Especially his ball...it's like a growth in his mouth! :laugh:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] - How exciting that you are thinking of fostering ... I'm going to tag [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] & [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] because they know first hand the rescue side of fostering.

I honestly jumped in without thinking, I went to the store for clippers and more dog toothpaste and when all was said and done I came home with 2 extra bulldogs, so I didn't really have time to think it through, I just figured well I have crates, I have food, I have a fenced yard and I know how to care for them so what the heck I'll do it! Had a few bumps in the road during that first week but I just did what needed to be done and kept pushing forward. I am so glad I did because as I sit here typing Chance is in my line of view and he is so much different now then 12 days ago, when he got here he was so dirty and smelled really bad he was still friendly but somewhat sullen and now he is clean, smells ... well ya know like a clean bulldog LOL but his personality is so cute he gets excited just like the rest of the gang when he sees me pick up dog dishes and now dances around eager to get his meal and will actually try to play with a toy ... well ok he carries it around more now LOL but the whole experience has been good I'm going to be sad to see him go but at least in my heart I know I touched his life and made things better even if in just a small way and that's enough for me. Give it a try if they will let you do a trial foster the very first time that might be good just so if it's too much then you know you can back out without any problems. Can't wait to hear about your first foster :)

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Leesa!

I went ahead and submitted a foster application w/SCBR today. I will wait and see what happens :)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Thanks Leesa!
I went ahead and submitted a foster application w/SCBR today. I will wait and see what happens :)

You will make a great foster mom, I seriously can not wait to hear how things go and see pictures of your new foster girl ... with how things are going in my house tonight, I just know it's going to be a great journey for you!! Chance is actually playing for the first time he is jumping around and playfully interacting with Diesel & Molly instead of just following them around and watching them play and he came over and gave me a few play wiggles too :) I am so happy I did this!!!!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
This is so exciting Henny!!! As you know I coordinate all the fosters for ROEB so I can tell you how we do it. We're a small and fairly new rescue so some of our procedures have changed along the way as we've found out what works the best!! But we have modeled ourselves on our good friends - Detroit Bulldog Rescue and Indiana Bulldog Rescue!!

the foster apps are all given to me and I'll take a note if they have bully experience, how many pets they have now, and what their answers are for air conditioning, fenced yard, if their own dogs are spayed/neutered etc. No air conditioning would be a NO. then as long as there isn't something terrible on the app I call the vet and do a vet check. If they are not up to date on vaccinations and heart worm then it's an immediate refusal. We ask our applicants to call their vets and give permission for them to speak to us. It's a pain in the bum to call and then they refuse to tell you anything!!

once the vet check is complete we do a home check and we have a form we follow as we do it. If that passes then you are on our foster list and if a bully comes in that I think wold fit then I call you!!!! :up:

i wouldn't worry about having to leave for work as most homes are in the same position. It would only stop you getting a bully with separation anxiety!!

As a rescue we cover all the medical costs but day to day care such as food, treats etc you would be expected to cover. Any vet visit would need to be ok'd by us first as well as any extra vet procedures above what the bully had been taken to the vets for.

Hope that helps a bit!!!!!!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks Karen, that's very helpful and answers many of my questions. As I sit here with Finn and Tate, I wonder how it will be with a 3rd little wiggle butt running around. I'm very excited about this journey i'm about to take. I will keep you posted!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Fostering can be a rewarding experience but it can also be a PITA. The frustration from knowing that these babies were mistreated can be overwhelming.

It helps if you have a good relationship with the organization you are helping too. MABR trusts me completely. We are at the point where I don't need permission to go to the vet, if I think it's necessary there are no questions asked. All vet bills are paid by the rescue if if the rescue you will be working with works like MABR, you will be the one to do the interviews for potential furever homes. It helps watching them start their new lives from the first step.

If I include Otis I have had 4 in my home so far. 2 of them were absolute joys to have around and I easily found loving homes for them. They had been loved and cared for by their previous owners and it showed. Elvis was a train-wreck when he got here and has some health issues so it will take some work to find the perfect place for him. Otis came to me with no manners whatsoever. He was chained to a fence for half of his life and was seriously lacking people skills. By the time I'd turned him into a semi productive member of society I was in love and he wasn't going anywhere. He was my first foster so be careful :)

The question my friends and family keep asking me is if I get paid to do this. For some reason I think they guess I should. I can't explain the feeling I get when I match the perfect bully to the perfect family. Or from watching a sick one walk in my door and go on to have a fantastic life with people who will never again mistreat him or her. Asbury broke my heart but knowing that she is loved and sleeping in a warm bed instead of outside on the streets or in a cage at a puppy mill is worth more dollars than they could ever give me. Be warned... a lot of people won't understand that and will think you are crazy. :yes:

Good luck!! It's a great ride :2thumbs:

Most Reactions