Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does it take to foster a bully?

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What does it take to foster a bully?

This is so exciting Henny!!! As you know I coordinate all the fosters for ROEB so I can tell you how we do it. We're a small and fairly new rescue so some of our procedures have changed along the way as we've found out what works the best!! But we have modeled ourselves on our good friends - Detroit Bulldog Rescue and Indiana Bulldog Rescue!!

the foster apps are all given to me and I'll take a note if they have bully experience, how many pets they have now, and what their answers are for air conditioning, fenced yard, if their own dogs are spayed/neutered etc. No air conditioning would be a NO. then as long as there isn't something terrible on the app I call the vet and do a vet check. If they are not up to date on vaccinations and heart worm then it's an immediate refusal. We ask our applicants to call their vets and give permission for them to speak to us. It's a pain in the bum to call and then they refuse to tell you anything!!

once the vet check is complete we do a home check and we have a form we follow as we do it. If that passes then you are on our foster list and if a bully comes in that I think wold fit then I call you!!!!

i wouldn't worry about having to leave for work as most homes are in the same position. It would only stop you getting a bully with separation anxiety!!

As a rescue we cover all the medical costs but day to day care such as food, treats etc you would be expected to cover. Any vet visit would need to be ok'd by us first as well as any extra vet procedures above what the bully had been taken to the vets for.

Hope that helps a bit!!!!!!

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

thanks Karen, that's very helpful and answers many of my questions. As I sit here with Finn and Tate, I wonder how it will be with a 3rd little wiggle butt running around. I'm very excited about this journey i'm about to take. I will keep you posted!

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Fostering can be a rewarding experience but it can also be a PITA. The frustration from knowing that these babies were mistreated can be overwhelming.

It helps if you have a good relationship with the organization you are helping too. MABR trusts me completely. We are at the point where I don't need permission to go to the vet, if I think it's necessary there are no questions asked. All vet bills are paid by the rescue if if the rescue you will be working with works like MABR, you will be the one to do the interviews for potential furever homes. It helps watching them start their new lives from the first step.

If I include Otis I have had 4 in my home so far. 2 of them were absolute joys to have around and I easily found loving homes for them. They had been loved and cared for by their previous owners and it showed. Elvis was a train-wreck when he got here and has some health issues so it will take some work to find the perfect place for him. Otis came to me with no manners whatsoever. He was chained to a fence for half of his life and was seriously lacking people skills. By the time I'd turned him into a semi productive member of society I was in love and he wasn't going anywhere. He was my first foster so be careful

The question my friends and family keep asking me is if I get paid to do this. For some reason I think they guess I should. I can't explain the feeling I get when I match the perfect bully to the perfect family. Or from watching a sick one walk in my door and go on to have a fantastic life with people who will never again mistreat him or her. Asbury broke my heart but knowing that she is loved and sleeping in a warm bed instead of outside on the streets or in a cage at a puppy mill is worth more dollars than they could ever give me. Be warned... a lot of people won't understand that and will think you are crazy.

Good luck!! It's a great ride

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

We have fostered for an all breed rescue now for quite awhile. They always send the dog with a bag of food and sometimes treats but we take over from there. We usually end up buying the food and treats beyond what the rescue sends. We usually get them a new collar and leash and any toys, bones, etc. We have a couple extra crates here but the rescue always lets us borrow one if we need a special size. The vet care is always covered by them too but they are usually vetted before they get to us.

It's a very rewarding thing. If you open up your home to a foster then it means they don't have to sit it out in a shelter type environment and hope to be adopted. You will have provided a safe, warm, loving place for them before they get to their forever home.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much for the replies, @Twice and @MamaAndi. Reading your posts gets me pretty emotional and teary. Thanku for answering my concerns as well. Peeps like you, Karen, Leesa...and many more, are the inspiration for my desire to be a foster mom.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    Thanks so much for the replies, @Twice and @MamaAndi. Reading your posts gets me pretty emotional and teary. Thanku for answering my concerns as well. Peeps like you, Karen, Leesa...and many more, are the inspiration for my desire to be a foster mom.
    This IS exciting. I am going to live vicariously though you for awhile, ok?

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Henny.... it should help that you have EBN behind you and Im sure Lisa can be of some assistance there too as she is friends with Skip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads