Crating Time

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Just wondering what you guys think is reasonable for crating any length of time during the day? I am talking a 3 month old who goes all night ( from 8:30-6am) without having to go pee. I have not left him for more than 1 or 2 hours yet , but something is coming up next week and my hubby will not be here, so just wondering what is "reasonable" to leave him crated?

How do those that work do this with a puppy? It's been some years since I had a puppy and I always had kids around to help with letting him out after an hour or two.

Just wondering!
Thanks

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hello,

Congrats on Bogart he looks like a sweet guy. My wife and I have been crating Winston for his whole life with us (from 8 weeks to his current 8 months). Both of us work and he goes in a crate during the day from 8am to 12pm then from noon to 4:45pm, he doesnt seem to mind it and has never made a mess in his crate. I dont know if this is an option for you but once Winston was house trained, well for the most part with little accidents, we attached a doggy play pen to his crate door and he can run around in there and play with toys while you are gone. Keep in mind that when he was still young he peed in there sometimes.
Just make sure he has water in his crate (you can buy a bowl that attachs to the inside but make sure it is stainless steel. We put a stainless one in the plastic one that attaches to the inside of his crate.) I am not sure what is "too long". Just keep him exceriseded when he is not in his crate.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Tey can hold their bladder for 1 hour more than they are old... so 3 months means 4 hours.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon had a day pen attached to his crate with weewee pads in it when he was a puppy and we went to work. When he got a little bigger and was done with his shots we attached the day pen to the doggie door so he could go outside into his outdoor pen to either do his business or enjoy the weather.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
When duchess was that young I had a dog walker come in when I was able to come home. Is a dog walker an option? They are usually cheap. I'm in Chicago and they usually run $10-$20 for a 30-40 min walk depending on the company. When she was that age I usually didn't let her stay crated longer than 3-4 hours at that age. Keep in mind that at that age even though they might not have an accident holding it too long can cause a uti!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.