When are they filled out?

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
When do bulldogs fill out completely? I hear 2 years, but will they change much from 1 years old to 2 years old?

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
[MENTION=4212]Spunkysmom2012[/MENTION],

My guy is 10 months and every person with Bulldogs states that they :
---0yr to 1yr - grow UP
---1yr to 2yr - grow OUT (fill out)
---2yr to 3yr - head fills out completely

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes, at two is when they start to fill out. The first year they grow up and the second they grow out. They really don't stop growing until about age 3.

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Ohhh ok, thank you guys!! That's exactly what I was wondering.

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Mine turned two in October and we are still seeing changes in him espicially in the head and his stalkiness

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yes, at two is when they start to fill out. The first year they grow up and the second they grow out. They really don't stop growing until about age 3.

i love seeing the changes in my guys; so they're almost two years old and a combined weight of approx. 115lbs! that means a few more lbs by the time they turn 3yo...can't wait! :2thumbs:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Gizmo was 'mature' by 18 months, maybe 2 years, She's maintained 52lbs since she was about a year old, I havent seen much change in her in the last year (she'll be 3 next month) Hershey is still growing, he is up to 45lbs and his latest antic is his jaw moving forward, and him giving us that TOOFY Smile since Thanksgiving, he'll be 1 in March.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon turned 1 in December and is still changing a lot, but I don't think we are going to get the toofey, his lower jaw bumped out a little at about 8 months and then stopped. He definitely still has a lot of filling out to do though.

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I have heard that neutering a male can affect his head growth...so I have decided to wait until Winston is 1 so he will have the shape, head size a bulldog should have. If the head doesn't grow until three years does it really matter if I wait or not?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=7281]adamslater[/MENTION] our vet recommends waiting until the males are at least 18 months to neuter.

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
He has an umbilical hernia that needs to be repaired at the same time...so I'm not sure if I should wait that long.
I will have to speak to my vet again but who knows if they will know anything as no vets here specialize in bulldogs.
Anyone have any input or suggestions?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
He has an umbilical hernia that needs to be repaired at the same time...so I'm not sure if I should wait that long.
I will have to speak to my vet again but who knows if they will know anything as no vets here specialize in bulldogs.
Anyone have any input or suggestions?

I would say that the umbilical hernia should take precedence over anything. So any vet can tell you if that is something that should be looked at sooner rather than later. If they say later then you can have him neutered at the same time ... and if they say sooner than again I would have him neutered at the same time.

The important thing is to try and avoid having your bully put under more than is needed. If he were my bully I would make sure to time both surgeries together.

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
The most recent time I saw a vet she said the hernia is very small and there is no risk of intestines getting stuck or anything...she said it could close on its own. I want to have it fixed at the same time as the neuter for Winston's safety...and my stress level lol I am so worried about it already. I am just unsure when I should have the neuter done. The vet wanted to neuter him at 6 months and I told her I wanted to wait until 12 months as per my breeders advice. I am hearing 12 months or18 months...I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing for him.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
The most recent time I saw a vet she said the hernia is very small and there is no risk of intestines getting stuck or anything...she said it could close on its own. I want to have it fixed at the same time as the neuter for Winston's safety...and my stress level lol I am so worried about it already. I am just unsure when I should have the neuter done. The vet wanted to neuter him at 6 months and I told her I wanted to wait until 12 months as per my breeders advice. I am hearing 12 months or18 months...I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing for him.

I would just go with whatever feels "right" to you ... cos you're going to get a boat-load of different answers depending on what everybodys views are.

For us, Daddy and Linus both were neutered at approx 5-6 months but that's because I couldn't take the humping any longer!!! :blink: Daddy just turned 2 and still seems to be getting broader across the chest. Linus is only just 1yrs old, and has stopped growing up and is visibly filling out now all over. Who knows if I've stopped them being as big as they could have been ... I just feel happier having them neutered.

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank

Tank had a umbilical hernia also. Our vet suggested waiting cause it was small. We waited and it corrected itself and there has been no issues.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.