Angel Eyes

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
So, I'm at my wits end. I've done a bunch of the solutions you guys have recommended in various threads, but we can't seem to find the source of the actual watering and really can't keep up with it these blasted tear stains. You miss one day and it's like you've been doing nothing for months.

UNTIL....

We finally caved and purchased the ultra expensive angel eyes. It had a pretty immediate impact. Pretty impressive actually.

The issue. Of course there is an issue.

It made Remi's poops huge and soft. Then right before we took Remi to get neutered, we noticed he didn't take his morning pooh at all. He finally poohed that night.

Well today he hasn't gone #2 at all. Normally he goes a healthy 3-4 little poohs a day.

When should I become more than just concerned?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
did he go one day with out eating? that could be the reason, or emptying out could be another reason. tear stains were worse in my house when the dogs were under 2 years old. we don't have problems with that anymore, but I am feeding them a grain and potato free food. Nutrisca Lamb and chick pea

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
That's interesting because Herman's breeder swore by Angel Eyes...I caved and tried and it did nothing for Herman but give him soft poop. No change after a few weeks of use :) Remi might just be empty or the meds from neutering have made him constipated. Pumpkin is also good for constipation if you think he's eaten a lot and hasnt passed anything.

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Slippery Elm Bark Powder is supposed to work great with dog (and human) stomach issues as well. May wanna give that a try.

As it stands, however, I wouldn't be overly concerned at this point. If he doesn't move his bowels after two days or so, then I may start to worry.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Thanks guys. He is starting to take less frequent but monster dumps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wondering if you noticed a difference in Remi's eyes yet with using the Angel Eyes. I just ordered this today. Will see if it helps Emma. I'll have her allergy tested when she's 18 months. Her tear stains are so bad they look black at times. Plus she gets a double tear stain on each side of her face from her fold right below the main eye fold.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Thanks guys. He is starting to take less frequent but monster dumps.

Hey....
so here is my two cents. Angel Eyes contains an anti-biotic/ anti-inflammatory used to mainly treat soft stool/diarrhea in dogs. Name is tylocine or tylosin, brand name Tylan. The fact that it mysteriously clears up tear stains is a well known side effect, and the company Angel Eyes has capitalized on this.

I know all of this because Wilbur was on Tylan ( prescribed by vet) for the constant soft stool we are having on his prescription food ( his skin is fantastic though! For once!) It could be this that is causing Remi to get bunged up?

The issue is that as an anti- biotic, you have the problem of building up resistance, and also not knowing how much tylocine is in the Angel Eyes (tylocine is dosed based on weight, etc).

not trying to rain on your parade, I am desperate to fix Layla's tear stains! I just don't don't know how I feel about long-term anti-biotics for possibly cosmetic reasons....

:blush2:

Last edited:

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Here's my opinion. Not meant to offend anyone, just how i look at it. Angel eyes may clear up the tear stains, but is it just masking the underlying problem, if its caused by allergies, or another issue? Kind of like using anbesol for your toothache. You could just keep covering the pain or you could go to the dentist to take care of the problem.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Have you tried to change his food? I'm not sure if you are feeding him grain free.... Izzy will get watery eyes with salmon and bad tear stains with grains.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Wondering if you noticed a difference in Remi's eyes yet with using the Angel Eyes. I just ordered this today. Will see if it helps Emma. I'll have her allergy tested when she's 18 months. Her tear stains are so bad they look black at times. Plus she gets a double tear stain on each side of her face from her fold right below the main eye fold.

Huge difference, ill post pictures later. We knew the active ingredient was an antibiotic and checked with our vet. We know remi is allergic to many foods and we are happy with him on nvi's salmon. We even had him on a limited diet and his tear stains were as bad as ever. We even gave him bottled water, which works great for some bullies here.

We also noticed remi gets runny noses and eyes after a walk in the woods. I just think he has allergies like humans. Pollen. grass. Dust. Who knows.

I also tried treating them with the famous duoxo and desitin treatment for months. if I missed even a day, it was all back. It was just messy and ineffective. There were improvements but it was always still very prominent.

So for those who think I'm getting angel eyes because I want the easy way out or haven't tried everything, that is not a correction assumption. This is literally the last resort. The tear stains were so bad they were black and made daily grooming difficult. When remi is older, we can try to narrow down the allergies. But not much I can do about grass and the like.

We know he's allergic to beef and poultry. Boy were the stains bad then, but the were still bad on limited diet lamb.

Eventually you reduce the dose of the medicine by quite alot.

Remi is actually getting just kibble and the angel eyes bc he has the runs. Angel eyes actually made his poop really soft though. It could be one of the ingredients. But he also eats everything so I'm hoping he normalizes. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Good luck and glad its helpin his tear stains .. Hopefully his poop is better soon too :2thumbs: .. Angel eyes is actually banned from the UK the only place we can get hold of it is on sites such as ebay for a very high price! I bet its more difficult to keep up with because of his gorgeous white face. Half of meekos face drives me mad the other half you cant see it lol x

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I had to use Angel Eyes on my bichon too because he was getting teary eyes from when he was teething (the mis-alignment of the jaws of the over-bite on the bichon caused his tear ducts to go out of balance). It worked perfectly. But, I only used it for 3 months tops.

You shouldn't use Angel Eyes for much longer than that. The health risk of the antibiotic could become greater than the health risk of the yeast infection.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Huge difference, ill post pictures later. We knew the active ingredient was an antibiotic and checked with our vet. We know remi is allergic to many foods and we are happy with him on nvi's salmon. We even had him on a limited diet and his tear stains were as bad as ever. We even gave him bottled water, which works great for some bullies here.

We also noticed remi gets runny noses and eyes after a walk in the woods. I just think he has allergies like humans. Pollen. grass. Dust. Who knows.

I also tried treating them with the famous duoxo and desitin treatment for months. if I missed even a day, it was all back. It was just messy and ineffective. There were improvements but it was always still very prominent.

D

Same with Layla! Her tear stains are nearly black, and that desitin teatment was totally a mess. we're always hoping the latest food change will help. They are both on prescription diets now (sigh of defeat and sadness) so we can get their skin allergies under control. Once they are cleared up I think I will be going to home cooking....but I suspect pollen/dust etc. are a big factor!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Good luck and glad its helpin his tear stains .. Hopefully his poop is better soon too :2thumbs: .. Angel eyes is actually banned from the UK the only place we can get hold of it is on sites such as ebay for a very high price! I bet its more difficult to keep up with because of his gorgeous white face. Half of meekos face drives me mad the other half you cant see it lol x

Crazy. I watched a honey bee documentary and they were saying that the UK puts feeds antibiotics to bees as opposed to what we do, which is some kind of HFCS. Our bees are all dying. go figure.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Crazy. I watched a honey bee documentary and they were saying that the UK puts feeds antibiotics to bees as opposed to what we do, which is some kind of HFCS. Our bees are all dying. go figure.

Oh my gosh thats crazy no wonder our Bees are gettin so darn HUGE! They get bigger every year! Im gonna end up mistakin them for birds before long lol Scary beasts they are! I wish ours were dyin out lol x :bigeyes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.