Angel Eyes

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Crazy. I watched a honey bee documentary and they were saying that the UK puts feeds antibiotics to bees as opposed to what we do, which is some kind of HFCS. Our bees are all dying. go figure.

Antibiotics and HFCS have two different purposes. Antibiotics is for disease control while HFCS is for winter food supplement or to establish a new colony that doesn't have enough honey to live off of yet. The US have been giving antibiotics to bees to treat diseases such as AFB. The UK does the same - antibiotics and sugar supplements - except that HFCS is on a quota so they don't use it as much. Things like beet sugar and inverted sugar and such are used instead. But still, bees in both UK and US are disappearing. Australia is the one with the relatively stable colonies.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] - Darn.. you have the memory of an..... well, let's just say, you have a GREAT MEMORY ! :ROFL:

Im gonna need to dress up with all my chicano gear and take a picture ......
im gonna need some fuzzy dice too....

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
That done did it...... I'm stocking up on Honey. Headed to Publix after work today. .

Honey at Publix are not locally grown. And they're expensive! Better to go to those road-side markets or something - you know, like those Plant City fruit stands... local honey. Nectar of the gods. Or so they say.

Grrr... speaking of fruit stands... that just made me crave hot boiled peanuts!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] - Darn.. you have the memory of an..... well, let's just say, you have a GREAT MEMORY ! :ROFL:

Im gonna need to dress up with all my chicano gear and take a picture ......
im gonna need some fuzzy dice too....
Will these work for you? I just happen to have a pair in my cubicle....:lmaogirl: I can put them in today's mail. :idea:

EA937C85-5C8F-477E-8551-CC0A62FA4BFC-336-0000002E1B160547.jpg

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Will these work for you? I just happen to have a pair in my cubicle....:lmaogirl: I can put them in today's mail. :idea:

EA937C85-5C8F-477E-8551-CC0A62FA4BFC-336-0000002E1B160547.jpg

WARNING WARNING WARNING

...............THREAD HI-JACK IN PROGRESS...........

Cool... send those over..... by our track history.. I'll get 2 pairs!! :ROFL: :ROFL:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Antibiotics and HFCS have two different purposes. Antibiotics is for disease control while HFCS is for winter food supplement or to establish a new colony that doesn't have enough honey to live off of yet. The US have been giving antibiotics to bees to treat diseases such as AFB. The UK does the same - antibiotics and sugar supplements - except that HFCS is on a quota so they don't use it as much. Things like beet sugar and inverted sugar and such are used instead. But still, bees in both UK and US are disappearing. Australia is the one with the relatively stable colonies.

It's been a couple of years since I've seen it; I'm probably messing up some of the details. I just remember thinking, we feed bees HFCS? My god! And I do recall there being a mention we were the only country that did it, or that did it in excess.

of course many keepers also blame the pesticides.

What are we talking about again? :lmaogirl:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
It's been a couple of years since I've seen it; I'm probably messing up some of the details. I just remember thinking, we feed bees HFCS? My god! And I do recall there being a mention we were the only country that did it, or that did it in excess.

of course many keepers also blame the pesticides.

What are we talking about again? :lmaogirl:

Let's hijack the thread just a tad bit longer... because... it's really interesting these things about the bees. Not only do the US feed HFCS, they feed HFCS from genetically modified corn! So, why does the US have rampant use of HFCS whereas any other country doesn't? Well, the corn industry in the US is subsidized by the feds so the cost of corn remains super duper low. That's why you will find that in every single bag of dog food in the local Wal-mart the first ingredient is corn (protein booster)... except corn is not as easily digestible as animal protein... So, for a beekeeper, you have bees that need to eat. During winter, they don't make honey... so they have to eat from their food storage. Except... the commercial beekeepers sold the honey. Because, of course, they can make more money selling the expensive honey and then buying cheap HFCS to feed the bees during winter than letting the bees keep a lot of their honey...

Interesting, huh? And yes, this is, of course, not the only problem with the bees. It's a microcosm of a jillion factors.

Okay, we were talking about English Bulldogs with tear stains and the antibiotics in Angel Eyes (which, from what I understand, most beekeepers don't use tylosin on the bees anymore... they use something else less harmful or something).

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
That done did it...... I'm stocking up on Honey. Headed to Publix after work today. .

bee still my heart,:heart: if it ain't the Devil himself :evil:, hope you've bee 'n kind to every honey bee you've met :ninjaspank:

:crazy_pilot:

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
On a more serious note... Disappearing bees is a huge concern. Someone said they were gonna store up honey. Better store up more than that....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Let's hijack the thread just a tad bit longer... because... it's really interesting these things about the bees. Not only do the US feed HFCS, they feed HFCS from genetically modified corn! So, why does the US have rampant use of HFCS whereas any other country doesn't? Well, the corn industry in the US is subsidized by the feds so the cost of corn remains super duper low. That's why you will find that in every single bag of dog food in the local Wal-mart the first ingredient is corn (protein booster)... except corn is not as easily digestible as animal protein... So, for a beekeeper, you have bees that need to eat. During winter, they don't make honey... so they have to eat from their food storage. Except... the commercial beekeepers sold the honey. Because, of course, they can make more money selling the expensive honey and then buying cheap HFCS to feed the bees during winter than letting the bees keep a lot of their honey...

Interesting, huh? And yes, this is, of course, not the only problem with the bees. It's a microcosm of a jillion factors.

Okay, we were talking about English Bulldogs with tear stains and the antibiotics in Angel Eyes (which, from what I understand, most beekeepers don't use tylosin on the bees anymore... they use something else less harmful or something).

On a serious note about all of this, this was something that has always bothered me. Is our food really safe? It made me vegetarian for about 1.5 years. I still would be, but the diet made my husband super sick due to some other conditions we didn't realize he had, and now we only eat organic and local meat, fruit, and veggies.

It's ridiculous how much corn is used. They even make wax from it to polish an apple.

Regarding honey, I love the Really Raw stuff. They don't advertise it, but customers have reported that after calling, they did inform them that they don't feed their bees antibiotics or corn syrup.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.