Thread: Puppy pads??

Pooper scooper Bustersmommy6941's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christina
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster
    Likes (Received)

Default Puppy pads??

Well first I would like to start off by saying I am so glad I found this site because everyone here has given me more and better advice then the Internet or books and what better way to get info on a bulldog then from people who own and love bulldogs, and I hope I'm not annoying anyone with all my questions. With that being said Buster is driving me a little crazy, we have puppy pads in the house just in case and Buster is really good with using them he is such a smart dog but he also has a habit with eating the puppy pads and well for one I know it's not good for him and he got in trouble tonight I made him go to his bed but of course I feel soooo bad for it but I don't understand why he loves the puppy pads more than anything else. Does anyone else have this problem or understand why he likes to eat them???? Thank you for all your help
    Busters mommy

Real Name
    Tasha
    Country
    Wales
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meeko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Puppy pads??

I cant give help from experience as im not a great lover of puppy pads and never used them .. Simply because i dont like praising the pup for going on the pad in the house.. I believe they should only have the praise when going outside in the correct place. I feel its sort of training them twice teaching them first to go to toilet on a pad in the house then afterwards teaching them not to go on a pad and outside is where they need to toilet.. I think its confusing. (im the same with skin children and pottys! Straight onto the toilet is my way of life.. Miss out the middle step!

Anyway.. Im babblin on lol thats just my personal opinion. Perhaps the puppy pads have a scent to them that Buster just cant get enough of. My sisters husky used to rip to shreds a certain make of puppy pad but if she had another she wouldnt touch them. They had a different scent and feel of material.
    Last edited by MeekosMummy; 01-08-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    Xx.Demari-Jay & Meeko.xX

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

From my own experience, I agree with @ncra6761, no puppy pads for us! Potty training is much more difficult if you do it with a middle step. He might like the pads to eat if his breeder put something similar in his crate. Also, they are fun to tear and rip, just like a newspaper! Of course, puppies like ANYTHING they are not suppose to have! If possible, I would get rid of them alltogether. It means you will have to be on top of him, never letting him out of your site, and taking him outside at least every hour. Bogey is 12 weeks and just now starting to go longer periods (like 2 hours) during the day. However, he goes 10 hours at night, so I KNOW he can hold it. When we first got him, I took him outside every 1/2 hour, after every nap, and especially after every chew session! I have said it many times, my pup is not trained, I AM! He will eventually catch on.
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gus
    Likes (Received)

You could try a puppy pad holder, it's a tray that you put the pad on and snap the edges. We live in a condo, so when Gus was younger he couldn't hold it to wait on the elevator so the puppy pads were very helpful. But he would rip them up if they weren't on the holder. Good Luck!

Real Name
    Adam & Jen
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

I tried to use puppy pads with Winston when I got him at 8 weeks and it didn't work for me. Winston was always trying to eat them or shred them so I stopped using them a day after we got him. I assumed it was the smell that made him want to eat and rip them up.

Dog Groomer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)

Zam liked to pull puppy pads apart. Zappa liked to help him. They thought it was great fun to pull them out of the holder. Then Zam ate the holder. Needless to say, I tossed the holder and donated the remainder of the pads to a rescue.

Real Name
    Christina
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for all the help I will most def. look into all the help ty
    Busters mommy

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Yap, they do love to eat them and play with them. We used to tape them down, and that would help, but they would still tear them up.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I used puppy pads when I first brought my boys home b/c I lived in a high rise condo and it just wasn't practical to take them outside to do their business. On occasion I would also find some shredded up pads here and there. I think they eventually grew out of it. How about spraying some bitter apple spray on the pad and see if that will lessen the behavior?

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

my friends boston used to do the same thing. eventually they grew out of it. i use washable potty pads for sarah. perhaps look into that. i think they will want to tear anything up really.

Real Name
    Christina
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for all the advice
    Busters mommy

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rudy and Mila
    Likes (Received)

Can I suggest getting beef flavored puppy pads. At least he will enjoy them more. LOL

Rudy and Mila both enjoyed turning puppy pads into confetti.

Remove Ads