Puppy pads??

Bustersmommy6941

Jan 4, 2013
Riverside California
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Well first I would like to start off by saying I am so glad I found this site because everyone here has given me more and better advice then the Internet or books and what better way to get info on a bulldog then from people who own and love bulldogs, and I hope I'm not annoying anyone with all my questions. With that being said Buster is driving me a little crazy, we have puppy pads in the house just in case and Buster is really good with using them he is such a smart dog but he also has a habit with eating the puppy pads and well for one I know it's not good for him and he got in trouble tonight I made him go to his bed but of course I feel soooo bad for it but I don't understand why he loves the puppy pads more than anything else. Does anyone else have this problem or understand why he likes to eat them???? Thank you for all your help

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I cant give help from experience as im not a great lover of puppy pads and never used them .. Simply because i dont like praising the pup for going on the pad in the house.. I believe they should only have the praise when going outside in the correct place. I feel its sort of training them twice teaching them first to go to toilet on a pad in the house then afterwards teaching them not to go on a pad and outside is where they need to toilet.. I think its confusing. (im the same with skin children and pottys! Straight onto the toilet is my way of life.. Miss out the middle step!

Anyway.. Im babblin on lol thats just my personal opinion. Perhaps the puppy pads have a scent to them that Buster just cant get enough of. My sisters husky used to rip to shreds a certain make of puppy pad but if she had another she wouldnt touch them. They had a different scent and feel of material.

Last edited:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
From my own experience, I agree with [MENTION=6330]ncra6761[/MENTION], no puppy pads for us! Potty training is much more difficult if you do it with a middle step. He might like the pads to eat if his breeder put something similar in his crate. Also, they are fun to tear and rip, just like a newspaper! Of course, puppies like ANYTHING they are not suppose to have! If possible, I would get rid of them alltogether. It means you will have to be on top of him, never letting him out of your site, and taking him outside at least every hour. Bogey is 12 weeks and just now starting to go longer periods (like 2 hours) during the day. However, he goes 10 hours at night, so I KNOW he can hold it. When we first got him, I took him outside every 1/2 hour, after every nap, and especially after every chew session! I have said it many times, my pup is not trained, I AM! He will eventually catch on.

AmyEbert

Sep 16, 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
You could try a puppy pad holder, it's a tray that you put the pad on and snap the edges. We live in a condo, so when Gus was younger he couldn't hold it to wait on the elevator so the puppy pads were very helpful. But he would rip them up if they weren't on the holder. Good Luck!

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I tried to use puppy pads with Winston when I got him at 8 weeks and it didn't work for me. Winston was always trying to eat them or shred them so I stopped using them a day after we got him. I assumed it was the smell that made him want to eat and rip them up.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Zam liked to pull puppy pads apart. Zappa liked to help him. They thought it was great fun to pull them out of the holder. Then Zam ate the holder. Needless to say, I tossed the holder and donated the remainder of the pads to a rescue.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yap, they do love to eat them and play with them. We used to tape them down, and that would help, but they would still tear them up.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I used puppy pads when I first brought my boys home b/c I lived in a high rise condo and it just wasn't practical to take them outside to do their business. On occasion I would also find some shredded up pads here and there. I think they eventually grew out of it. How about spraying some bitter apple spray on the pad and see if that will lessen the behavior?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
my friends boston used to do the same thing. eventually they grew out of it. i use washable potty pads for sarah. perhaps look into that. i think they will want to tear anything up really.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Can I suggest getting beef flavored puppy pads. At least he will enjoy them more. LOL

Rudy and Mila both enjoyed turning puppy pads into confetti.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.