I am so sad...

wienerdogfan

May 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I don't own and English Bulldog but I think they are the sweetest and funniest breed of dog. I really want one and have been research the breed for a couple of years. I have a mini Doxi now whose ten and I don't want to get another dog as long as she's living because she is so food motivated. I could easily see her attacking any other dog if there is any food involved and the size of the breed is no deterrent. Last time she attacked another dog it was over a rawhide bone and it was a Aussie Cattle Dog. My Tootsie went after that other dogs legs like a hungry piranha and the other dog which out weighed her by 40lbs just sat on her. It was it's only defense!:blink: So my next dog purchase won't be until after my Tootsie goes over the rainbow bridge.

I have come to the conclusion that me and an English Bulldog would not be a good mix. The thing is I am a person who would want to hold my dog constantly on my lap, while watching tv, and when I wasn't smooching him, I would be stroking his belly and giving him tons of love. You may be thinking to yourself, "What's wrong with that?"

Well I'll tell you... I am a terrible Pack leader. I want to give a dog love, love, love, but I have a real hard time asserting the dominance that I think an English bulldog needs.... and what I mean by that is the state of mind of a pack leader. As much as I love bullies I think, I'm a golden retriever, toy poodle kind of girl.

The reason I'm writing this is I am being completely honest about myself and I'm kinda hoping maybe some one will change my mind or maybe agree with me.... Opinions...

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Hey there.
first let me say that you are smart to wait till "the right time" to get another dog. Mainly because a bulldog pup can make life miserable on older dogs. Any puppy for that matter may cause an older dog a great deal of stress and can make their final days less than pleasurable. Your doxi may be tough now but puppies tend to torture older dogs as they get older/weaker.
that being said....
You absolutely, positively can love and smush and hug and kiss your bulldog (should you get one) all you want and still maintain dominance. My puppy is 17 weeks old now and I have found the perfect balance between being the pack leader and the doting father. My girlfriend is the same way with him. Believe it or not, small gestures like always walking in front of him and going into the house before him or feeding after you have already eating will instinctively tell him you are in charge. Pack leader or not, they will challenge you alot. I dont wanna make it sound easy. Facts are facts. Bulldogs can be stubborn as hell. Lord knows mine is. But he knows who is in charge in our home and he is most happy when he is on the couch with us watching tv getting his belly rubs and so on...
i give you credit for second guessing wether the breed is right for you instead of just diving in head first like so many people do but don't sell yourself short. You might miss out on the experience of a lifetime.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Pack leader?? Huh? Oh! You mean Cleo, yup she's pack leader in this house, sure is. You know, not all bullies are super stubborn and what you're thinking of. You could always try fostering to see if they are a good fit for you. Don't be surprised though if they tell you to get some more experience before they will let you foster, just start volunteering at your local bulldog rescue group so they can see you are serious about this. But whatever works for you, you'll know. In the meantime, you can just enjoy all of ours on here! Good luck in your search.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I don't own and English Bulldog but I think they are the sweetest and funniest breed of dog. I really want one and have been research the breed for a couple of years. I have a mini Doxi now whose ten and I don't want to get another dog as long as she's living because she is so food motivated. I could easily see her attacking any other dog if there is any food involved and the size of the breed is no deterrent. Last time she attacked another dog it was over a rawhide bone and it was a Aussie Cattle Dog. My Tootsie went after that other dogs legs like a hungry piranha and the other dog which out weighed her by 40lbs just sat on her. It was it's only defense!:blink: So my next dog purchase won't be until after my Tootsie goes over the rainbow bridge.

I have come to the conclusion that me and an English Bulldog would not be a good mix. The thing is I am a person who would want to hold my dog constantly on my lap, while watching tv, and when I wasn't smooching him, I would be stroking his belly and giving him tons of love. You may be thinking to yourself, "What's wrong with that?"

Well I'll tell you... I am a terrible Pack leader. I want to give a dog love, love, love, but I have a real hard time asserting the dominance that I think an English bulldog needs.... and what I mean by that is the state of mind of a pack leader. As much as I love bullies I think, I'm a golden retriever, toy poodle kind of girl.

The reason I'm writing this is I am being completely honest about myself and I'm kinda hoping maybe some one will change my mind or maybe agree with me.... Opinions...

Continue to do your research and when that day comes and you still are in love the EB you shall have one. I did my research for 7 years on the EB and now I have a house full of them :2thumbs:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with all the comments above, but I don't think to many people will try and talk you out of it. lol Everybody needs a Bully. I think its possible to have it both ways, and i am the biggest culprit for spoiling my babies, and they are the biggest sucky baby cuddlers, but they still listen to me. there is another option as well, you could get a French Bulldog instead, they are about half the size of an English Bulldog, and only weigh 25 lbs, they have the look of a bulldog, except for the cute little bat ears lol , so that might be another option for you when you decide to add another baby to your life.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I admire your careful consideration of something as monumental as becoming a Bully owner. I think the advice to volunteer and perhaps foster in the future is excellent. My Miss Tallulah lays across my lap and gets her belly rubs every evening. Right now her nose is buried into my thigh and she is snoring as I type on my iPad. She sleeps at my head with her head on my shoulder and Kim says we snore in unison. :yes: I have had many dogs and many breeds over my lifetime and while i loved them all - there is nothing as loving and unique as a Bully. There is just something incredibly special about them. One other serious consideration you may want to take into consideration is will you have the funds to adequately care for one. Many Bullies have allergies, so you need high quality food. Some Bullies need to have palette surgery, or their nares widened, tails removed etc. Lots of stuff. In my first year with Miss Tallulah I have spent about $2,400.00 on vet bills and she is very healthy and comes from an excellent and highly respected breeder. I waited until I had the financial independence to be able to do everything she needs before finally deciding to make the move and contact the breeder. It may not be critical but knowing you have the necessary funds or access to funds to do what's necessary will save you possible heartache. Good luck in your research!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Believe it or not, small gestures like always walking in front of him and going into the house before him or feeding after you have already eating will instinctively tell him you are in charge. Pack leader or not, they will challenge you alot. I dont wanna make it sound easy. Facts are facts. Bulldogs can be stubborn as hell. Lord knows mine is. But he knows who is in charge in our home and he is most happy when he is on the couch with us watching tv getting his belly rubs and so on...
i give you credit for second guessing wether the breed is right for you instead of just diving in head first like so many people do but don't sell yourself short. You might miss out on the experience of a lifetime.

As Kross225 said, being pack leader does not mean being mean or gruff, especially with English bulldogs. They are people pleasers and only want to make you love them more or at least my pup is like that. He is a real cuddle bug and always wants to be with me.

Some breeds need a firmer hand but I would not consider EB's as one of those breeds.

It's great that you are researching the breed. When you are ready I suggest that you take your time, research the breeder, get background on lineage and temperament of dams, previous litter, etc.. And if possible hold off on choosing your pup until it is 7-8 weeks old, so you can see it's personality emerging. That way you can choose the one that is more laid back, like we did vs the little hell-raiser runt that I was so inclined to pick, knowing he'd be twice the trouble ;) I also suggest that you read the book "How to Raise the perfect Puppy" by Cesar Millan. He gives great insight on picking a puppy that matches your wants and needs as well as ways to become the pack leader. There is also a bulldog pup in this book.

Don't be intimidated by this sweet lovable breed, if you want a bully then let that be your next baby. You won't regret it as long as you know what all is involved in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Pack leader?? Huh? Oh! You mean Cleo, yup she's pack leader in this house, sure is. You know, not all bullies are super stubborn and what you're thinking of. You could always try fostering to see if they are a good fit for you. Don't be surprised though if they tell you to get some more experience before they will let you foster, just start volunteering at your local bulldog rescue group so they can see you are serious about this. But whatever works for you, you'll know. In the meantime, you can just enjoy all of ours on here! Good luck in your search.

I'm sure not all bulldogs are stubborn. Just a high enough % to warrant the ole' expression-- "stuburn as a bulldog"

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hmm: I think you want one and are going to get one. I admire the research and especially waiting until the time is right..but unless you' re on a Golden Retriever forum researching...honey..you are getting a Bulldog. And we will all be here waiting! :D

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I totally agree with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] .... and I also commend you in making the decision to wait until your current furkid is no longer with us. However, you've been on this site now and your eyes have seen far too many bully pics for you to ever give them up. You are just going to have to admit it, you are now officially hooked ... so just bide your time and you will have a bully one day.

I really DO like the idea of contacting your local bully rescue and getting involved with their volunteering and their fundraising .. hands on ... it will put you in to contact with real bullies and give you wonderful experience!!

Bustersmommy6941

Jan 4, 2013
Riverside California
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
I think it is really good that you are doing your research but I have to say I kiss and hug my Buster all the time he sits in the chair and watches TV with me and of all the things he LOVES when I rub his belly. I think deep down you really want one and once you hold them in your arms and look at that cute face you will be hooked. I hope all goes well and we are here for you.

okflorida

Jan 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Loki
My dear, I thought the same things you did before we got our guys.....in fact, I thought it over for almost two years before I took action! Now I can't imagine why I was so worried.....they need love and guidance just like my kids did! My bulldogs are spoiled rotten but know that momma rules the roost. I was lucky enough that the breeder I got both of mine from works with me. She always encouraged me to just come and visit with her bulldogs. Later, when one of her girls was pregnant I knew I wanted one of the puppies. After Tank's litter was born I visited him and his siblings for some "puppy lovin" as we called it. Smart lady! We were smitten! Now two years later we have two bulldogs! Good luck, hope to see you back here with puppy pic.

Last edited:
OP
W

wienerdogfan

May 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hi All, thanks for your comments... I really want one... but I will be honest with you my dog is like this one you see in the video. She won't attack someone she knows like this dog is doing but if you came in my house and sat next to me on the couch and tried to pet her with her in my lap this is what you would get. Dachsunds are stubborn, that is their breed trait. You will see when Cesar tries to put him in a calm submissive position how much that little dog fights it. Tootsie has mellowed with age and is not so snappy but five years ago she was the dog on the screen. I know it's not Tootsie but me that made her this way. That is my basic fear.

I do take back a little of what I said, she better know you really, really well if you try to pet while she is on my lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3D5y59cXKI

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
I admire your honesty about yourself! Koozer is our first bully and we did tons of research beforehand too. Research can make things seem so much more daunting:) The bottom line is that I couldn't imagine my life without him! BTW, the financial advice is good advice!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.