Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am so sad...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Loki
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I am so sad...

My dear, I thought the same things you did before we got our guys.....in fact, I thought it over for almost two years before I took action! Now I can't imagine why I was so worried.....they need love and guidance just like my kids did! My bulldogs are spoiled rotten but know that momma rules the roost. I was lucky enough that the breeder I got both of mine from works with me. She always encouraged me to just come and visit with her bulldogs. Later, when one of her girls was pregnant I knew I wanted one of the puppies. After Tank's litter was born I visited him and his siblings for some "puppy lovin" as we called it. Smart lady! We were smitten! Now two years later we have two bulldogs! Good luck, hope to see you back here with puppy pic.
    Last edited by okflorida; 01-08-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    none yet
    Likes (Received)

Hi All, thanks for your comments... I really want one... but I will be honest with you my dog is like this one you see in the video. She won't attack someone she knows like this dog is doing but if you came in my house and sat next to me on the couch and tried to pet her with her in my lap this is what you would get. Dachsunds are stubborn, that is their breed trait. You will see when Cesar tries to put him in a calm submissive position how much that little dog fights it. Tootsie has mellowed with age and is not so snappy but five years ago she was the dog on the screen. I know it's not Tootsie but me that made her this way. That is my basic fear.

I do take back a little of what I said, she better know you really, really well if you try to pet while she is on my lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3D5y59cXKI

Bulldog(s) Names
    Koozer
    Likes (Received)

I admire your honesty about yourself! Koozer is our first bully and we did tons of research beforehand too. Research can make things seem so much more daunting The bottom line is that I couldn't imagine my life without him! BTW, the financial advice is good advice!

Real Name
    Tasha
    Country
    Wales
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meeko
    Likes (Received)

Meekos not a lap dog purely because i knew the size and weight he will soon grow to... HOWEVER!! ...he is a sit next to you and cwtch upto you as close as i can that i might as well be on your lap sort of dog!!
    -20130108_153921-jpg-20130108_160009-jpg

As long as you train them correctly and balance out the cuddles love and affection with training you cant go wrong. I wouldnt be without Meeko now. I took a brave challenge too i had a 2month old baby when i decided to get a 2month old puppy bully to join the family .. And the training and stubborness is nowhere near as bad as some research makes out. You can do it.. Ive got faith in you lol and my crystal ball predicts a bully is your future of happiness love and laughter :p
    Last edited by MeekosMummy; 01-08-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Xx.Demari-Jay & Meeko.xX

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

@wienerdogfan I agree you should wait until your present dog passes, and then you might check out some rescues. A bully puppy would drive you crazy, because they are all over the place when they are young. Getting an older one from a rescue, you can find the right one for you and one that loves to snuggle. We just place a beautiful girl who was 5 years old that just loves to snuggle and be loved. So that's something to think about when you are ready to get one.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

yes its good you are giving this careful consideration. i got my bully from someone else and boy was i in for a surprise. there is alot of care that goes into bullies but what you get back is so much more. ive never felt for a dog what i feel for sarah even though i have loved plenty of them. sarah is not a cuddler per say but she will lay next to me and put her head on me and she loves loves her tummy rubbed. i kiss her all the time. you do have to consider can you afford one and such but i do like the idea of a rescue bully and going and seeing some for yourself. good luck with whatever you decide. oh and um you do learn to be a pack leader somehow even though they own you.

Bulldog(s) Names
    none yet
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone. I decided to take some of your advise and I emailed my local English Bulldog rescue and offered my help if they need it. I can't foster one because of Tootsie, but I would be glad to help in some way. I told her my tale and told her that I would like to do some socializing with the dogs to get to know the breed. I'm not sure what she would have for me to do but we'll see.

Thanks,
    Dianne

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wienerdogfan View Post
    Thanks everyone. I decided to take some of your advise and I emailed my local English Bulldog rescue and offered my help if they need it. I can't foster one because of Tootsie, but I would be glad to help in some way. I told her my tale and told her that I would like to do some socializing with the dogs to get to know the breed. I'm not sure what she would have for me to do but we'll see.

Thanks,
    Dianne

I work for Rescue Ohio English Bulldogs ......... believe me, there will ALWAYS be something for you to do to help them out!!!!

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    I think you want one and are going to get one. I admire the research and especially waiting until the time is right..but unless you' re on a Golden Retriever forum researching...honey..you are getting a Bulldog. And we will all be here waiting!
    totally agree

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Well, I can speak from experience about having a senior and a bully all at once. Yes, Amber is a rough tough one year old bully (going through the terrible twos: loss of shoes, toliet paper, paper, books, dolls, anything and everything she can chew on) and that is exactly what we were looking for; a bully that could hold her own. Our senior great dane is going down hill, Beast Dog is 13 and has slowed down even further in this past year and I am not sure how much longer she will be with us. She still tries to play with Amber but we are extremely cautious and know her limitations, she can only play for maybe 5 minutes these days at max but we still let her be a part of the action as much as possible. During the day, we have the house divided so Beast Dog has the back side of the house and Amber has the front side so as not to over exert the old girl. It takes being very pro-active with both fur babies to make sure each are able to compliment the other. Amber does need a playmate and we are working on that soon. Having the age difference isn't for everyone but we also have a 10 year old daughter that will be crushed (all of us will be and we know the time is coming soon) the day Beast Dog goes over the rainbow bridge and that was one of the deciding factors that lead us to get Amber now along with her future sibbling. Beast Dog has been there since the day our daughter was born and when we lost Apollo (our male great dane) unexpectedly in 2010 it totally crushed our daughter (actually all of us) and she still sleeps with his collar at her bedside. We decided Beast Dog would be our last Great Dane and researched the EBD and decided to go for it earlier rather than later to make the transition easier. We are having a blast and cannot wait for our new puppy. Amber has brough unimaginable life to all of us, the old girl included. It is hilarious when Amber destroys something and Beast Dog looks at her like, "You are in trouble now." You will know when it is time for an EBD and until then keep researching and getting prepared. No worries on who owns who, that is a given.....Amber owns us all, lock stock and barrel and we wouldn't have it anyother way. Good luck on your qwest and we look forward to stories, pictures, etc when you decide the time is right.

Bulldog(s) Names
    none yet
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all your replies. I live in the Detroit area and Detroit English Bulldog rescue is on the same side of town as me. So it will work out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads