The only reason I can get a way with this is because she is an english bulldog and she's cute, otherwise...

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
People would curse me out and kick me out of the dog park!!!!! (I know, I know, we need to work on her training and teach her to come when I scream her name and to drop it when she steals everybody's toys...)

So I think my bulldog has reached the age where I can see the obsessive behaviour. When Izzy was younger and attending puppy class our trainer said that she would be obsessed about something since she is a bully and I got really upset with the comment... 3 months later and now I have an obsessed bully.

Izzy is the life of the dog park, I have been taking her to there since she was 10 weeks old and by now we know a lot of dogs and owners and they know of Izzy.

So our issue is that Izzy steals everybody's balls and frisbies. That's all she does! I can bring her own toys which she will not care for but she wants what she doesnt have and her behaviour is pretty obsessive about it. She won't get aggressive but she will not give up. She has even developed techniques since she knows she is not the most agile dog but she can be the smartest one. She will hide behind people and be sneaky or she will pay close attention to when the other dog gets distracted and jump in to steal the toy. All I can say is that even if takes her 1 hour she will keep on trying to get it and she is not intimidated by any dog. She will walk straight into them and not back off if the dog is not happy about her presence.

She is also very strong and she will pull in a good fight for the frisbie. This guy has a sheep dog and just for fun he gave Izzy the frisbie and the dog grabbed on the other side and literally both dogs were holding into that thing for 10 minutes pushing and pulling each other and Izzy was able to drag the other dog which is 4x bigger than her. I even heard a group of people laughing and saying "Izzy is just being Izzy!" :ashamed:

Of course if I call her she takes off and it's always a exercise to finally catch her and return the toy to the owner... I think that the only reason they dont get mad is because Izzy is so cute and she does it in a funny way but she needs to stop!!!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
She thinks its a game. "I grab a toy, mommy yells something, so I run, and mommy chases me, when I finally let mommy catch up, we play tug of war with the toy! Oh this is sooo much fun to play!"

I'm no expert, but I would suggest the 'Drop it' command (gonna take lots of work, especially with all of the excitement of being outside)

Gizmo is BASKETBALL obsessed, to the point, if the kids are out playing Basketball. we go the opposite way for our walks.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
She thinks its a game. "I grab a toy, mommy yells something, so I run, and mommy chases me, when I finally let mommy catch up, we play tug of war with the toy! Oh this is sooo much fun to play!"

I'm no expert, but I would suggest the 'Drop it' command (gonna take lots of work, especially with all of the excitement of being outside)

Gizmo is BASKETBALL obsessed, to the point, if the kids are out playing Basketball. we go the opposite way for our walks.

She sure thinks is the most fun game EVER but I usually wont interfere unless if I feels is my duty to get the toy and return to the owner - specially when it's from a lab or retriever that all they want to do is play fetch with their owners. If it is just a ball that was already on the ground or a stick I let her play with and after she steals it she will walk into the dog and rub in their face and make them chase her....

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Omg Meeko does this with my sisters Husky Ellie. He only goes off the leash in a court with her and he will lay on the ground til Ellie runs past with the ball then pounce at her. Also if he manages to get the ball he will go right upto Ellies face and keep shovin the ball into her face teasing her so she tries to get it. And if Ellie runs off he will take a few steps to chase her.. Give up and wait til she comes bacj to him then dive on her lol. At the beach yesterday he wantes every ball and stick that moved no matter which dog (or child ooops!!) it belonged to! He knows drop it etc but has selective hearing when it comes to things that belong to others!! xx

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Sounds like stubborn bullies being stubborn bullies to me. And Izzy definitely thinks you are playing a game with her, Bacon does that with me and his toys if we are playing tug or something. He will walk up and shake it at me until I grab the other end and play tug with him. He loves to play tug it's really funny.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Omg Meeko does this with my sisters Husky Ellie. He only goes off the leash in a court with her and he will lay on the ground til Ellie runs past with the ball then pounce at her. Also if he manages to get the ball he will go right upto Ellies face and keep shovin the ball into her face teasing her so she tries to get it. And if Ellie runs off he will take a few steps to chase her.. Give up and wait til she comes bacj to him then dive on her lol. At the beach yesterday he wantes every ball and stick that moved no matter which dog (or child ooops!!) it belonged to! He knows drop it etc but has selective hearing when it comes to things that belong to others!! xx

you couldnt have described in a better way "...wait til she comes back then dive on her..." lol!!! Izzy dives into dogs and things too...head first always!

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Sounds like stubborn bullies being stubborn bullies to me. And Izzy definitely thinks you are playing a game with her, Bacon does that with me and his toys if we are playing tug or something. He will walk up and shake it at me until I grab the other end and play tug with him. He loves to play tug it's really funny.

I dont call her stubborn ;) I describe it as "persistent" learned that during my job interview class back in college! ha ha

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well she is just a typical bully. Plus have you read the bully rules? One of them is "If I want it, it's mine." :2thumbs:

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
All I can do is laugh because I have a spunky bulldog just like that! Sounds like a great personality!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I WANT video!!!!!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
This cracks me up ... I have no advice, but I'm sure someone will help! The interesting thing is that ALL the dogs do this where we go. We just laugh and have decided that we should just realize that we need a big thing of "community toys". Good luck! I do agree that she thinks its a game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Cleo is obsessed with balls. Last time we were out playing with other dogs she took someone's ball and when the other dogs kept trying to come get it she just pushed it under her big ol' chest until it disappeared. She may not have decided to play with it but she'd be dang sure no one else would either! That happens often, she'll get up off the couch or her bed and they'll be some balls under here. Mac is just obsessed with me:tongue:

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Next time we go out il try get some videos! I have pics winding Ellie bear up cos he has the ball lol.. And one of Meeko 'hiding' in the grass waiting to dive on her

20130103_123532.jpg
20130103_123513.jpg
20121109_122427-1.jpg

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Next time we go out il try get some videos! I have pics winding Ellie bear up cos he has the ball lol.. And one of Meeko 'hiding' in the grass waiting to dive on her

View attachment 34474
View attachment 34475
View attachment 34476

I love the pictures!!! The face reminds me of my baby... I guess we all suffer from the bully toy obssession.... glad to know I am not the only one!!!! I will try to bring my camera do the dog park next time and get a video of my sneaky baby in action!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.