Since its starting to cool down here in Florida(70's) How long should I be able to walk Mr.Beef?

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Usually our walks consist of a few blocks. Its vey hot and muggy here in Florida even late in the afternoon.Now that its cooling down into the 70's how long should I be able to walk him? Our normal walk with him is about 5-10 mins. Just to give a little xtra info.Mr.Beefy was not excercised regurlarly before he came to us,so he's only been on walks about 2 mths,he is 70lbs, 3 yrs old and has very thick fur.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Did a quick search on google and calculated 70 degrees F is about 21 degrees C, which is what we use here in Canada. 21 is the perfect weather to walk I think. When we walk Stig, it'll probably be 20-40 mins average. Depending if we stop to talk to other dog owners that pass by. I encourage him to run, play, etc. I just bring a water bottle and offer it to him whenever he's panting a little just in case.

It's around 15 degrees C here now, and Stig would still be comfortable. I can tell because he'll be the one pulling me to the big open field that's adjacent to my block so he can play.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would think every dog is so different you will have to go by what he tells you. If he is dragging his feet and panting then he may be done before you think he should be. Especially being that he wasnt walked much to begin with. Just go off what his signals are and soon enough he will be up to 20 minutes or more.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I live in Florida too, I have increased Vegas's walks from 10 min. to about 20 and he is loving it, in another month is when we will get back into the 30 min. in the morning and 30 in the evening. By Dec. it will be a once a week trip to the dog park, which he loves. It is hard with bullys living in a state that stays over a 100 with heat index for about 6 months. Poor Vegas was bored out of his mind this summer!!

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva can walk for about 20 to 25 minutes depending on the weather and her "mood" and when she is done she is done..she will just stop and my poor husband has had to carry her home before! We now usually go for about 10 minutes then I know she will be ok!:)

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
im in tx and of course 100 degree weather!! we would walk around 9 close to dark for about 10 mins and poor lex would get hot too in that time... during the days its been 70's 80's and lex pretty much stays outside and runs around like a crazy kid lol. so i would say do a 10 min walk and see how he is feeling and just add 5 mins every week or as it cools off. im so ready to be able to walk more than 10 mins gona start shooting for 30 mins this weekend!

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I have three furkids to walk and he gets the shortest walks lol. we walk the puppy for 30-45 minutes she's 9 mnths and since she is an olde english bulldogge she can take the heat as long as we bring a water bottle. Georgia who is almost 3 can only be walked late at night since she is stranger aggressive and tops out at 100lbs so...I dnt chance it.I would hate to try and carry Mr. Beefy he is 70lbs and I only weigh 125lbs so Idk if I could carry his big butt home lol. Thanks for all the help ....I will get him fit even if I have to buy him a treadmill lol.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
If any one has kept up with other conversations. [MENTION=355]gatorfan85[/MENTION] and I are in the same town..The weather has gotten perfect here lately for walks. I don't walk Abby anymore, I am lucky she goes up the stairs at night. Bella on the other hand is full of energy. I would increase your walks a little more and more everyday. You will find the perfect time that works for both of you. Also if you think you went on too short of walk, once you get home play ball or something as the such...then you know he is ready for more walking.

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I am in Fort Lauderdale and now that it is much cooler in the evening Bruno and I now go for about a 30 min walk as opposed to a 10 min walk. He does pretty well, and does not seem all that exhausted when he gets back in. He seems to have a little extra step in him now that the cooler weather has come around :)

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
[MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] we def need to get Beefy and Bella together for a walk one day now that its cool.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
When Bertie and I are at our condo in Florida (Jensen Beach), we usually walk for about 30-35 minutes in the evening. With the breeze blowing off the ocean, it's usually pretty nice, and she does well with that.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
You might also want to check into the kool collar. http://www.koolcollarstore.com/
This site tells about the collar and how it came to be. Vegas and Orion have them. You fill them with ice for outdoor walking, or you can put the ice pack strips inside for car riding or inside the house. They are not use to warm weather..and anything in the 70s or sunny and upper 60's they get them on. We were lucky enough to find them in a local Mud Bay store.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm so jealous guys & gals! It's been nearing freezing temp in the evenings here. Turned on the heater a couple of times too :*(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.