What Side of the Dog Park Do You Go On?

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
When we took Brutus to the dog park yesterday, we put him on the small dog side. All the dogs on the big dog side were HUGE, I mean taller then me! At our local dog park they only consider small dogs to be 29 pounds and under. When we got there, no one was on the small dog side, but a puppy named Daphne came over wh was the samage, and just a few pounds lighter. Daphne's dad told us that some people get mad about putting dogs our size on the small side. What do you think?

I just don't want Brutus to get trampled by some of those HUGE dogs that are making laps around the park, and running in packs.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake has never been to a dog park..so I can't tell you! I went a few times with my daughter and her retriever and honestly, it just isn't an enjoyable time for us. Too many unruly dogs, and jerky people!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
When Bea was about six months old, she started going to Puppy Day Care at the local PetsHotel in Woodinville, WA. She was a puppy - but a BIG PUPPY - but they started her off in the small dog room and she did just fine. Later, when she got physically bigger (as in Big Dog Room Size), they tried her in the Big Dog Room. She didn't do so well in there; she got anxious and when she got anxious, she got fearful and when she got fearful she got snippy with the big dogs. Put her Back in the little dog room, she's fine.

I would pay attention to "energy" in the enclosures far more than size. Screw what other people think. Likewise, if there's a maniac Pomeranian raising hell and causing anxiety in the little dog area, I'd pull the plug and move mine to the big dog area; providing the energy there was good.

Listening to your instinct and watching your dog's behavior PRIOR to joining the enclosure is invaluable. In every problem dog park scenario, its generally ONE GUY/GAL and ONE DOG causing the problem that ripples out to affect the whole area. Avoid those folks if you can. Just because they're there, don't mean you have to interract with them.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
tell Daphne's dad that Brutus hasnt eaten a small dog in weeks... :laugh:

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
When Bea was about six months old, she started going to Puppy Day Care at the local PetsHotel in Woodinville, WA. She was a puppy - but a BIG PUPPY - but they started her off in the small dog room and she did just fine. Later, when she got physically bigger (as in Big Dog Room Size), they tried her in the Big Dog Room. She didn't do so well in there; she got anxious and when she got anxious, she got fearful and when she got fearful she got snippy with the big dogs. Put her Back in the little dog room, she's fine.

I would pay attention to "energy" in the enclosures far more than size. Screw what other people think. Likewise, if there's a maniac Pomeranian raising hell and causing anxiety in the little dog area, I'd pull the plug and move mine to the big dog area; providing the energy there was good.

Listening to your instinct and watching your dog's behavior PRIOR to joining the enclosure is invaluable. In every problem dog park scenario, its generally ONE GUY/GAL and ONE DOG causing the problem that ripples out to affect the whole area. Avoid those folks if you can. Just because they're there, don't mean you have to interract with them.

Brutus has played w/ Pit Bulls and lots of small dogs, it just always seems like the "Big Dog" side is where all the problems are. We use to take Marlee my youngest JRT all the time, and there were fights over there a couple times each time we went! I wish we had a Pet Hotel type place here, all we have is Petsmart :(

tell Daphne's dad that Brutus hasnt eaten a small dog in weeks... :laugh:

Haha love it!

GizmosMommy

Nov 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gizmo
Gizmo grew up with two labs, she has always been exposed to larger dogs. When she is around little dogs she tends to play a little to rough with them. We've spent time in both sides, it just depends on how many are in each side

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I took my 2 10 month old pups to a leash free park for the first time just this past weekend, I avoided them when they were small pups because they weren't fully vaccinated yet, and there are a lit of viruses and other diseases they can pick up in these parks. Plus it was summer, and we had a brutally long and very hot summer this year, so only took them to the parks in the early mornings, or in the evening when it was cooler out. I live on a nature trail by a river, and there is a huge park down there, so it was great. Most of the time there are just jiggers or walkers on the trail, and the park is mostly empty at those times because it has a big playground, but the kids come during the day. They have been going out for short walks most of the winter because of the cold, and so I took them to the park so they could get a good run. The first day there was only 2 dogs, but one was really aggressive, and was constantly jumping on my Blossom, she didn't bite the other dog, but would growl at him and basically let him know I've had enough. It was really cold that day, so we ended up leaving. We tried it again the next day, as it was milder out, and when we got there , there was about 8 or 9 dogs so we were kind of worried how it would go down. It was great, all the dogs big and small p,ayes really good together, and the doggie parents were really nice, so it depends on the dogs and the people at the park. I think your always gonna have the one aggressive or dominate dog, or the one or two jerky, ignorant person that ruins the experience for everyone else. The second day one scruffy looking guy, probably in his early 20s had a black lab there that just loved my Blossom, and they played telly well together, but I don't think this dog had ever had a bath, he was really stinky, he smelled like sour dog, and had a lot of white dandruff on his fur. A lady I was talking with and i we're like Oh my God that smell is awful. When we drove home, Blossom just reeked like the Stinky Lab, it was so gross, and she had yellow stuff all over her white fur. She had a bath when she got home. So there is that problem too, dirty dogs, and the increased risk of germs.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
well 'little dog' owners think that the dogs need to be as little as or smaller than what their dogs are - they need a 'Teeny Tiny Run' then a 'Normal dog run' then a Large/Huge dog run -- Bullies are Medium (In my opinion) they are short, but they are thick :)

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I dont put Amber in the dog runs here at the park because I just don't trust the situations that could arise. Amber stays with us in the open field and plays fetch or ball. We play with her so much I don't think she misses out on anything. She has played with smaller dogs in the past but its just too much pressure for me to take at one time so we stay clear of the dog runs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No dog parks for us..... people just do not pay attention and it is more like 'Lord of the Flies' than some play/exercise time

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
No dog parks for us..... people just do not pay attention and it is more like 'Lord of the Flies' than some play/exercise time

I think this sums up my thoughts exactly! :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Been to the dog park in my town but have no desire to go back, at all.

Too many complaints about Tate being some huge "giant" who may possibly crush this lady's poodle mix, or that guy's chihuaha, blah, blah, blah. Just plain rude folks, unfortunately. This was in the "small dog" section. When i took boys to the big dog section, the dogs were definitely BIG and Tate got antsy as I did, and Finn, well he pretty much hid under a bench. So, we left. I prefer having them play at the Petsmart daycamp for socializing. At least there it's monitored constantly and they seem to be having fun.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I used to take Remi to the small dog section, but I soon found that he is a rough player. I moved him to the larger side because I didn't want him to harm any of the smaller dogs. Bullys are totally brave and aren't really intimidated by larger dogs, so I think it was the safest place for him. Large dogs are usually fast enough to out run Remi and his baby teeth. If there are too many dogs in the large section, I will however, take him to the smaller side once he's had a good walk in. He tends to be a bit gentler. All Remi wants to do is push the little dogs around, standing over them and such, so getting him tired tends to minimize that behavior. He does this same thing with my cats! The smaller dogs just end up barking like crazy at him.

HOWEVER - please read - starting around 5 months I had to stop taking him to the dog park all together. Due to the famous bulldog etiquette, or lack thereof, dogs would start attacking Remi due to what they feel is aggressive behavior. (Eye locking, fast approaching, not smelling first, not submitting) Don't hesitate to turn Brutus' around and show his butt to a dog if you sense any tension.

So basically, a good play time turns bad. You also have to keep an eye out for when your bulldog has had enough. Some of the more athletic dogs, like boxers, will run your bulldog ragged. Your bulldog will try to make a clean getaway, and some of the dogs may be relentless, and you may need to break it up and take your bully out for a bit to rest.

Remi has been attacked by a bull terrier but got along fine with an Alaskan Malamute. Just be prepared for your bulldog to start rubbing dogs the wrong way when they get older. I've only had one bulldog, so I can't say for sure if it's all of them, or if mine is just has very bad etiquette. He is very well socialized, so that's the strange thing.

He is getting neutered today and then hopefully we can bring him back. We will definitely start out with just a couple of dogs first during off peak hours, in the large dog section.

I hope these tips help. But yeah, Remi even frolicked with a Presa once, and they got along fantastically. Just feel it out day by day, and feel free to mix it up depending on the situation.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Brutus has played w/ Pit Bulls and lots of small dogs, it just always seems like the "Big Dog" side is where all the problems are. We use to take Marlee my youngest JRT all the time, and there were fights over there a couple times each time we went! I wish we had a Pet Hotel type place here, all we have is Petsmart :(

Haha love it!

It's true, sometimes we witness a lot of fights on the large dog side, but that is usually when we are hanging in the small dog area!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online