Nap Time for Puppy

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
I'm not sure where to post this so here it goes. Rumble is 3 months old and we notice that after about 2 hours of being out and playing and chewing that Rumble's eyes get really blood shot and he starts to nip and bite us a lot more. Typically around this time we put him in his crate and within minutes he is snoring happily. Is this normal to put him 'down for nap time'? Or are we bad puppy parents for putting him in his crate?

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
You are not bad parents. Since he seems happy and does what he needs to do I wouldn't worry about it. He'll eventually put himself in there for his nap I bet.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka fought naps all the time and still does at 11 months! They're like babies throwing a fit and screaming and crying because they are tired lol. When he was smaller we would put him in his crate and he would be snoring within minutes. Now, if he is being particularly frustrating I can lay him on me on his back and he will pass out in less than a minute. Crazy guy.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You are doing the right thing, pups his age still need plenty of rest, I would just let him play an hour or so then off to get a nap. When they start getting tired they will act crazy and start getting too rough, just like little skin-kids do.

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
Spiel is exactly like that, fights sleep. He plays hard and then once he gets really tired he starts biting harder etc. In the crate he goes, and not on his own by the way, he runs like hell from me cause he knows it is crate time. But once he walks in the crate he flops down and starts snoring in no time.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I wouldn't worry about it your not bad parents they need to sleep a lot anyway so putting them down for a nap is good good luck with your baby

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Oh this is ABSOLUTELY normal! These pups are "crash and burn" machines! LOL! Our pup is 12 weeks old- he plays hard for an hour or two, and then he CRASHES! And you are so right- the biting and nipping gets bad just before we have "had enough" and into jail he goes! He goes immediately to his bed and is snoring in seconds!
By no means are you a bad mommy for crating him! Puppies NEED rest and sleep and they learn to love their "den".
I can tell when he's "had it" and will sometimes take him in from playing outside with the neighborhood kids to settle him down. They think I am being so mean! LOL!
You have a beautiful and completely normal pup!! Good bully mama!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He could not be a more normal bulldog pupy.... as someone else stated --- they crash and burn!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
And when they get overtired like other's stated they throw temper tantrums which can be really funny as long as they aren't biting you with their little sharky teeth.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.