Same Sex Aggression?

Gertie

Jan 6, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie
Hi! I am the proud owner of Gertrude who is about to turn 2. She's a lively one! We recently decide to get her a sister and just settled upon a pup. We have since been cautioned that two females can be a recipe for disaster. Gertie is an alpha, but she gets along well with others and goes to the dog park frequently. She does however regularly mount our poor kitty.

Any advice on two female bullies? Would we be wiser to get a boy?

PS. Gertie is fixed, and at the appropriate age the pup will be too.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: if you get a puppy it should be ok cause she will learn that gertie is the Alfa an they should grow up fine it would be a lot more difficult to get a older female to put them together good luck for me I like to have male & female but that's just me good luck on whatever you choose

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
The male/female dynamics are always easier but I've had two females at the same time, as long as you set very clear Rules, Boundaries & Limitations and make sure you are ALWAYS Consistent, 2 females can live very happily together and not have any problems. Stay on top of play, bulldogs play very aggressive together so if things get to much just make sure you make them settle down before it gets out of hand, be calm assertive and vigilant and you will have a happy bulldogs!!!

p.s. pictures pictures we need pictures!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Male/female are usually better, but several females can live under the same roof. We have three at the moment and they get along fine. They will have their moments and will try to fight occasionally, but we stop it fast and usually stop it before it even starts. For the most part they all get along well. A pup growing up with an older one is usually the best.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My Lola doesnt like other females only males but she is super easy with a puppy so I think you are right about getting a puppy! Please keep us updated on how it goes!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have sated... as a pup, it will be easier forGertie to accept another female in her home. Be sure to try and pick a more laid back female pup and no one that seems/apears to have any alpha traits. Talk to the breeder and ask them to let you know which pup would fit better with Gertie

Good luck!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Kind of been thinking about this a bit myself. I think it might also help if you took Gertie along to see how she does with the pups you are considering. She might just pick her sibling herself. Good luck. I would love to get another but the thought of house breaking and when we want a vacation is stopping me from taking the leap. I would love to get a boy to have the pair but I am not a big fan of the lipstick intermittently popping out :blink:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Kind of been thinking about this a bit myself. I think it might also help if you took Gertie along to see how she does with the pups you are considering. She might just pick her sibling herself. Good luck. I would love to get another but the thought of house breaking and when we want a vacation is stopping me from taking the leap. I would love to get a boy to have the pair but I am not a big fan of the lipstick intermittently popping out :blink:

hahha and even after they are fixed the "lipstick" still pops out, it's like when Bacon sits a certain way there is no room for it and wooooop out is comes lol

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
hahha and even after they are fixed the "lipstick" still pops out, it's like when Bacon sits a certain way there is no room for it and wooooop out is comes lol

I know...that is why I just get icked out. We have had male dogs way back when and it always skeeved me out. Loved that dog to death but I hated seeing it.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I know...that is why I just get icked out. We have had male dogs way back when and it always skeeved me out. Loved that dog to death but I hated seeing it.

I hear you, it's been a joke with us since day one with Bacon. He only humped a little before we got him fixed and ever since then he hasn't humped anything.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.