Matilda is in the hospital!!!

M

mabel lou

My friends female bully would do the same thing and omg it was horrible. She never would take her to the vet and would just give benidryl and pretty much just let her girl calm down and eventually it would begin to slowly go away. I was more panicked than the owner. Yes they certainly do swell up and yes do their eyes ever sell shut. My biggest fear was her throat swelling up but my friend said she would be ok. At least with you taking the proper steps with your bully you now have more knowledge of what to do. Happy she is good today!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Glad to hear that Matilda is doing better! Hopefully she will get to come home soon. Frank ate a bee once and half of his face almost instantly became swollen. Luckily we caught it quick and gave him benedryl and watched him closely for any breathing issues. We were so lucky that it didn't get worse and the swelling went down within the hour. We are sending well wishes for Matilda!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Bella was taken twice now for a bug bite that made her face swell. They would keep her for the day and give her IV fluids and steroids. They keep them to make sure that the don't have breathing problems. Now don't panic that is will take a while for the swelling to go down. It took Bella almost a week.
38C6B54E-EDC6-4EFF-A890-B34C70F1A188-1662-000002DEF950E082.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad to hear she is doing better, and she will be back to normal soon.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Waiting to hear how Matilda is feeling today. This was just horrifying and I would feel exactly the same. At the same time I want to thank you for this post because I learned something very important by reading all these threads. I am going to keep Benadryl with me when I am far from home and Miss Tallulah and I are out of the city for our country walks in the summer. I have Benadryl but can someone tell me how to give it and how much you give if there is an allergic reaction? This could be life saving.

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Waiting to hear how Matilda is feeling today. This was just horrifying and I would feel exactly the same. At the same time I want to thank you for this post because I learned something very important by reading all these threads. I am going to keep Benadryl with me when I am far from home and Miss Tallulah and I are out of the city for our country walks in the summer. I have Benadryl but can someone tell me how to give it and how much you give if there is an allergic reaction? This could be life saving.

I go by the general guideline of 1mg of Benadryl per pound of body weight. Winston's a Chunkey little Monkey, so I give two tablets. It zonks him out pretty well, so be prepared to carry your baby home. ><

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I am late to this but wanted to say I hope she gets better quick! So scary!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i was wondering how things were today with your bully. yes its very scary ive had sarah at the emergency vets twice and once i treated it myself for this kinda thing. i hope things are ok today.

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] you r from Tyler, Texas right? :) The vet i use has a 24 hour service they offer and u can call them at ANY TIME..i just started taking my bullies there this last summer they are soooo super nice and they treat my babies like if they were there own <3 Ashley Hoague is the veterinary there its at Premier Veterinary Hospital its off of South Broadway and Grande. phone # is 9036176072

Just seeing this and further reading relieved me that she got stabilized, will keep both
of you in my prayers and hoping YOU get rest too.

Christmas Day, Brutus broke out in huge hives, no Vets open, most fortunately his face
& airways weren't affected and Benedryl helped, never knew what he got into, no new
foods or chew toys, it must have been a contact w/an allergen but what? I was a basket
case, EBN'ers held my hand & comforted me (I LOVE you guys (& girls) as they are doing
for you.

Agree w/the severity of her symptoms you need an EpiPen (if okay for dogs) on hand, always
Benedryl & lemon juice to squirt in mouth if phlgem closes it up. Give her smooshy kisses for us!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda is okay!!!!!

I picked her up this morning and she's good as new, just drowsy. Her swelling is thankfully gone! I will post pics and what medication they gave us later! What a scary experience though...

The vet told me that if we have another experience like this, you can get a shot just to have in case! But were not positive it was a bee, so for now, she gave us some extra steroid in case she has another outburst to give to her on the way to the hospital...

My heart rate has finally slowed a bit but I'm never letting her out of my sight again!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Matilda is okay!!!!!

I picked her up this morning and she's good as new, just drowsy. Her swelling is thankfully gone! I will post pics and what medication they gave us later! What a scary experience though...

The vet told me that if we have another experience like this, you can get a shot just to have in case! But were not positive it was a bee, so for now, she gave us some extra steroid in case she has another outburst to give to her on the way to the hospital...

My heart rate has finally slowed a bit but I'm never letting her out of my sight again!!

Great NEWS :whew:

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Hurrah, Matilda! Stay away from those bees, they're not good for your Mama! I'm so glad to hear you're all better. Or at least, almost all better.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
awfultil.jpgbettertil.jpg

This is her before and after. Believe it or not, the "before" picture was actually at the hospital when she was stable enough to see us. I (obviously) didn't think to get a picture before she was treated, it was such a scare! Her eyes were completely swollen shut.

As you can see, this is how she was when I picked her up, swelling is totally gone. THANK GOD! They prescribed her Temaril, which I guess is a steroid, and told us to use it for two more days, just to make sure she doesn't have another outbreak.

She also gave me extra so I can give her some while rushing her to the hospital. I'm taking her to her normal vet tomorrow for some lingering skin issue (I asked the vet we saw this morning, she said they'd have to run a few tests so we're doing it at our regular vet), and I'm going to ask him about allergy tests so I can be sure it's bees and maybe get the epi-pen sort of shot for her just in case.

How on earth am I supposed to trust her around now?! I am already crazy overprotective, and I trust her for two seconds, and look what happens! I am already such a worrywart. She was playing in my boyfriend's parents' huge yard, and I made them put an x-pen up, so she couldn't get near the pool, and she could only go about 10 ft away from the door. And she still managed to get into a potentially deadly situation!!

And last time we were there, I had her on a leash inside because there was a party and I didn't trust everyone to keep the doors shut, and she somehow found a silica-gel packet under a chair! Thankfully I noticed and snatched it from her just as she tore it open.

What am I supposed to do now? I am terrified to let her do anything!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.