Harness

Bustersmommy6941

Jan 4, 2013
Riverside California
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Okay so while looking around the site I notice a lot of the bulldogs have a harness now I was wondering are these better than a regular collar and if so why, thank you

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Please correct me if im wrong but im sure that its because of the bulldogs fat and breathing difficulties in general collars are not safe to use when walking them on a leash. Only as decoration and worn loose. Also harnesses i find you have a lot more control and strength over your dog when needed especially the older and stronger they get!! X

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
We traded up to a harness because once Winston went bulldogshaped, he could pull his head right out of a collar. There is also the factor that if he pulled, he was putting a lot of pressure on his throat and neck.

Harnesses are just safer, not only for bulldogs but for all dogs. They are much harder to get out of, shift the pressure of body weight from the neck to the chest, and make a much better suitcase handle for when I have to stop Winnie in his tracks.

GizmosMommy

Nov 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gizmo
I use a harness when I know Gizmo is going to be pulling a lot. When she goes to agility she gets really excited and pulls a lot, so I use her harness to keep her from choking herself. On a normal walk she doesnt really need one because she's rather laid back. I prefer the harness most of the time though because it doesn't put pressure on their trachea. if your bully doesn't pull u can use a collar...either one is fine

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
I talked about this in another thread, but the gist of the story is that while we were waiting for our bundles of joy to be born, we came across a couple who had two gorgeous bulldogs. I was admiring their harnesses (they were the Kong kind, I have them now as well), and they told me a tragic story about how they recently lost their 3rd bully. Sadly, the poor girl died of a crushed esophagus from pulling on a collar. They said from then on they are spreading awareness of the risk with just collars. I know that training is not as effective with harness, but I have been a harness devotee ever since. My guys have decorative fashion collars with ID tags, but that is their only function.

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
We use both with Ellie. At home, it's a collar even though she can pull right out of it if she plants her feet. Since we have a fenced in back yard, I'm not too concerned if she decides to pop out of it. If we go for a walk though, it's her harness. We took her to the park today and she was in her harness the whole time and did fine. If she had been in her collar, she would have been hacking up a lung with all the pulling.

Sandy

Aug 28, 2010
Virginia Beach, Va.
Bulldog(s) Names
Harper Jiggs
I've seen some really cute harnesses on bulldogs - does anyone know where to find them? I would love to order a couple -

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I only put Winston's harness on him when we go outside. Inside the house he's fine. It's been suggested that if they wear them constantly, it might rub a sore or create an infection. Just like clothes, harnesses (and collars) should be washed periodically.

It's so cute when he's at the door getting ready to go out. He taught himself how to pick up the correct leg and step through the harness so smoothly sometimes I don't even realize he's done it.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
We call Meekos his bra cos of how he steps into it when puttin it on lol. U tell him to get his bra for walkies and he will. He only wears his when going out for walk. He used to wear a collar around the house but we took it off him cos when he was sleepin it looked uncomfy with all his fat folded over and around it x

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I just wouldn't risk the choking hazzard with a bully and a collar. I've heard two stories of bullies with damage from collars and that's one more than I needed to hear.

HRH does have one collar but it's for decorative purposes only. she wears a harness for walks and trips away from home and just her clothes or nothing here at home.

OP
Bustersmommy6941

Bustersmommy6941

Jan 4, 2013
Riverside California
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Once again thank you for the advice and will be going to the store to get Buster a harness. Thank you for all your help you all are very sweet

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Once again thank you for the advice and will be going to the store to get Buster a harness. Thank you for all your help you all are very sweet

We bought porky a "petco" harness n it serves its purpose but it ripped shortly after we got it so I would look into the kong ones :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.