Sasha Fierce and EATING everything

BIGBIGSURGE

Jan 2, 2013
San Diego, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sasha Fierce
So, Little Sasha Fierce has taken a fancy to the bark decor we have in the back yard. I am constantly doing corrective actions to stop her. But, there are times she will grab one and swallow it. they are soft and not really splintery ( if thats a word ). Has anyone had their pup do something similar? I take her out to potty only to the backyard due to strays and the unknown in the front yard.
photo(1).jpg

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
If I am remembering correctly, it was a phase my Winston went through. When we would take him outside he would investigate EVERYTHING and it would all go into his mouth unless we were fast enough. We NEVER had trash in our yard back then, lol. Inside too- if anything hit the floor we had about two seconds to beat Winston to it, else he'd try to eat whatever we dropped/knocked over. The good news is, this is a puppy phase. The bad news is, you have to manage to keep her from ingesting 99% of the things she finds.

Training would help immensely. See if you can train her to "drop" things when she picks them up. When she gets it, your life will be SO much easier.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
"Drop" training sounds like an excellent idea. I like your choice for backyard material.... we have NO grass... Fortunately, Princess Gracie pays no attention to the mulch... but she is 6 years old. Good luck with your FIERCE Sasha.. lol

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse used to do this too, I alwaays had my fingers in his mout pulling stuff out but as [MENTION=7307]Tracy T[/MENTION] said it is a puppy phase.

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
Spiel is brutal. Loves the mulch. We find all kinds of stuff in his doo as well, bark, string, wrapping paper, rocks. Same thing with the water bowl, he will leave all kinds of floaters in his water where he has bark and leaves up in his mouth.

He loves to go out take care of business quickly and then head for the shrubs and either chew on branches or mulch. If it is cold, he heads straight back in the house, if it is above 45*, he wants to hang out and chew.

lacee

Dec 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
mollee
Good luck in whatever you try. Mollee eats everything. I was terrified she had some kind of cough/cold so my husband took off work to take her to the vet the next day. The vet said she didn't have anything, just splinters from where she was eating the deck and the deck steps. They gave her a shot but she finally stopped coughing up the splinters. She doesn't chew on it anymore because it has gotten cold out. She will again im sure.

I'm not betting that she or any bully grows out of that stage. They are in a "puppy stage" forever. LOL!!! Gotta love the lil guys!!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Same here, mine eats everything and anything she finds... Mud, rocks, sticks, earthworms... You name it she will chew on. Mines 6 months old.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Aubie chewed the wooden knob off my dresser. In fact, I think she still gnaws on it sometimes. She is not a horrible chewer anymore because she's learned to chew on her toys instead, but she was bad as a young pup! She is going on 10 months old now and has pretty much grown out of her chewing-on-bad-things-stage.

OP
B

BIGBIGSURGE

Jan 2, 2013
San Diego, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sasha Fierce
So possibly 7 more months of this???? Oh Lordy!! Lol

Aubie chewed the wooden knob off my dresser. In fact, I think she still gnaws on it sometimes. She is not a horrible chewer anymore because she's learned to chew on her toys instead, but she was bad as a young pup! She is going on 10 months old now and has pretty much grown out of her chewing-on-bad-things-stage.

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Zeus is 11 months and still chews on things he finds outside that should not be eaten but he is still much better than a couple of months ago. They do grow out of this stage but it takes a long time!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I feel your pain. Lol. I have 2 10 month old litter mates, they are brother and sister. My male Bulldozer eats everything in sight too, wood chips, pinecones, paper, leaves, piles of fresh mown grass, sticks, rocks, gravel, garbage, these are outside things lol, then he comes inside, he's eaten. 2 socks, spare rib bone , play money from my Grandsons cash register, paper towel, he's awful, and when he's not eating objects, he chews on his sister. Lol. My female Blossom doesn't eat objects, but she likes to chew shoes, and she loves her food, and Dozers, and the cat food, and even the bird seed that my parrot drops. She's an eating machine. Last summer they both found a treat outside that they took a liking to, rabbit turd on the grass. Yuck. I live by a river and a trail, so we have a lot of wildlife, deer, rabbits, raccoons, possomms, skunks, and squirrels. I'm hoping its a phase too. Silly bullies

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
we pulled up all of our Mulch, because Gizmo wanted to eat it, so we replaced it with 3" river rock... guess what she does now! she has a rock fetish, dont even THINK of moving one of her Rocks, she'll get it, and put it exactly where she wants it! its quite funny (Yea just another behavior I REALLY need to get on video :p

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Way too. Funny. A soda can filled with a few pennies cured Rudy of chewing on the wrong things. He hates the sound and quickly associates it with chewing on the wrong items. Mila, on the other hand, is deaf so the can doesn't work. We found her eating a soda can the other day. By looking at both halves I don't think she ingested much. I would highly recommend the can, hopefully we will find something that works for a 7ish month old deaf dog that eats EVERYTHING.image.jpg

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hopefully the landscape timber she's chewing the end of in the pic
IS NOT treated w/creasote?!!

Most Reactions