My Henry only weighed in at 13lbs at almost 4 months old.

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
My Henry only weighed in at 13lbs at almost 4 months old. At 12 weeks he weighed in at 11.4lb. 3.5 weeks later he only weighed in at 13lbs. The vet thought he looked great and not to change a thing. He's currently eating Fromms Chicken ala Veg and is getting 1.5 cups/day total with a little
extra kibble for training treats. His stool has been looking firmer for 3 days now and i'm able to pick it up, finally w/o the need for pumpkin. His father was 65lbs, all muscle and his mother was only 38 lbs. What is everyones opinion. ?

pic3.jpgpic2.jpgpic1.jpg

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
see of his poos go back to soft serve after the pumpkin. I would weigh him more than monthly and see if he starts to lo
se weight. He should not ever lose unless you are trying to get him too. As long as he is still gaining, He might be a slow grower. But keep an eye on it.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
He really doesn't look that skinny but I'd be worried too if my puppy lost weight.

You mention his stool is getting firmer. What issues have you had? Did he have parasites? What food were you feeding prior to the Fromm chicken?

Im going to tag [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] who may be able to offer some advice too!!

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
I am by no means an expert but is there a reason he only gets 1 1/2 cups a day? Is that all he will eat. Spielman is 11 weeks and he eats nearly 3 cups per day plus treats, frozen green beans, etc. He would eat more but I try to keep it to 3 cups right now as that is what I read on this site is a good amount for that age.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
He really doesn't look that skinny but I'd be worried too if my puppy lost weight.

You mention his stool is getting firmer. What issues have you had? Did he have parasites? What food were you feeding prior to the Fromm chicken?

Im going to tag @desertskybulldogs and @Davidh who may be able to offer some advice too!!

He didn't lose weight, he just didn't gain as much as expected (only 1.6lbs was gained in a month). No parasites. i've had him checked 3 times since i've had him, most recently yesterday. He had roundworms at 10 weeks but has tested negative since then. He was eating Iams puppy when i got him and he was having soft runny stools, Switched him to Pork/Applesauce Fromm life stages, and poo still soft but not runny. He's been on Fromm Chicken ala veg now for 1.5 weeks and poo has looked good the last 3 days

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
I would think you might want to up his food a little bit. Was more food causing the soft :poo: ? When Brutus was that age I was feeding three cups as well. One cup at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Even not that Brutus is about to be six months, I've noticed if I cut back on his food at all he will start loosing weight. He now gets his food measured out, however I feed 1.5 cups in the morning, and then again at night. Henry sure is a cutie :)

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I guess now that his stool has looked good for a few days now, i will increase his afternoon feeding by a 1/4 of a cup to see how he handles it.

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Phew... I thought I was overfeeding my guy when I realized I was feeding almost 3 cups at that age.

I agree with the others. You may want to gradually increase his food intake. Some calcium will help build his bone density too. I used to top kibble with plain yogurt or cottage cheese. I would also feed things like carrots and frozen green beans and I'd sometimes give him cooked but unseasoned meats on his kibble (ground beef, chicken or fish).

It may be that he is just a smaller dog and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Packing on weight quickly will stress their joints so you don't want to do that but gradually upping his food should increase his weight.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake got 1/2 cup 3 times a day until he was 6 months old. Then we slowly cut out the noon feeding and increased to 1 cup twice a day. He always gained weight and we did find out chicken was a no no. I would be careful increasing his food. Go very slowly. Fromm is high protein and too much can mess up his :poo: I agree with [MENTION=3169]BellasMom[/MENTION]..watch him and you don't want him losing!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He looks fine, but yes that is a very small amount if weight gain. Likely from the digestive issues he was having. He sure is cute!!! Perhaps you can drop by the vets just for a weight check in a week to make sure he is gaining. Careful increasing too much at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
As long as you asked....... There is puppy food for a reason, it contains certain things puppies need and supply the FUEL for the growth of a puppy.Foods like Fromm Puppy provide those needs. Also, it is always better to feed less, more often if your schedule can, most people can't so they feed more, less often. 1 1/2 cups a day is not enough food for a growing puppy BUT the increase should come in VERY small increments. It would be great if you had a gram scale to measure the food with but if you don't, just be very gradual.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
He didn't lose weight, he just didn't gain as much as expected (only 1.6lbs was gained in a month). No parasites. i've had him checked 3 times since i've had him, most recently yesterday. He had roundworms at 10 weeks but has tested negative since then. He was eating Iams puppy when i got him and he was having soft runny stools, Switched him to Pork/Applesauce Fromm life stages, and poo still soft but not runny. He's been on Fromm Chicken ala veg now for 1.5 weeks and poo has looked good the last 3 days

Oops sorry .. must have mis-read that!! Fromm 4* is all life stage food and there is nothing wrong feeding it to a puppy, but there is a greater fat content in the Fromm puppy so if you are really concerned you could always switch him to the puppy food for a couple of months. It's still Fromm and a fantastic food!! :up:

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Ty everyone for advice thus far. I'm getting more confused now. What is the general consensus

Should i switch him to Fromm Puppy? and which, reg fromm puppy or large breed puppy

Should i just try increasing to 1 cup 2 times/day.

Should i just give it another week and weigh him and see if he gained now that his stool is firmer?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
When our pup Bruce was that age we were feeding him FROMM Puppy Gold and giving him about a cup 3 times a day and he weighted about 32 lbs.

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Our Ellie is a small girl. She's just over 8 month and just recently topped 32lbs. Her breeder even said that she was smaller, but extremely athletic for a bully. She was gaining about 1lb a week up until around the 20 week mark and then it slowed down. We were feeding her 1 cup, 3 times a day until she was around 5 months and then switched to one of Earthborn's all life stages formulas and have been doing 1 cup, 2 times a day. We've tried increasing it slowly because I was concerned about her weight, but her :poo: got soft and runny almost instantly. Two cups a day seems to be her magic number though. I've noticed some changes in her development over the past couple of months. She's started getting a little bit of depth and width to her chest and her head is rounding out in some areas. She's still very much growing, but may just be on the slower side than others. If it's any help, her dad was around 60lbs and the mom around 40-45, so we're thinking that she'll top out around 40ish like her mom.

Most Reactions