My Henry only weighed in at 13lbs at almost 4 months old.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I feed Franklin 3 cups a day 1 cup of kibble an 1/2 a cup of green beans twice a day an he's 8 months now I want to cut back but he seems like he's always hungry I just don't want him to get fat

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I gave Henry a full Cup this afternoon, and poop was still solid. Stool has been great lately, i'll see how he reacts to 1 cup for each of his 2 meals tomorrow. Thanks for your responses everyone.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola is 7 months and I still feed 3 cups a day and she is still thin and lean. I also add a big spoonful of cottage cheese a day for the protein and calcium so you could think about that too! Please let us know how it goes!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Just a note..Bully's are NOT considered Large Breed..how my vet explained it is..if you give them Large Breed food,,they will get too much protein and their bones will have a tendency to grow too fast. That can lead to hip problems..slow and steady is best. They grow a long time...2 years plus!

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Just a note..Bully's are NOT considered Large Breed..how my vet explained it is..if you give them Large Breed food,,they will get too much protein and their bones will have a tendency to grow too fast. That can lead to hip problems..slow and steady is best. They grow a long time...2 years plus!

Good to know, ty. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks and see how he grows before i think about switching. It's just good to know his stools are looking normal for the first time. This is the first time he's had excessive gas though. He is really stinking it up tonight.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Boy I'm just reading all of this and that weight seems very low to me. I've been tracking Wilson and Emma's weight since they were 8 weeks old. I just pulled my chart out and at 16 weeks (4 months), Wilson weight 24.7 and Emma weighed 20.7. Of course they come in all sizes and shapes but I would think he'd have a bit more weight to him.

As Becky said, Bullies are not a large breed dog and you don't want them growing too fast. My non bully grew too fast last year and it almost cost him his life. He was only 6 months old at the time. It's not common at all for the Bulldog breed but it wasn't for my Pitty either. He had what's called Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy (HOD) and that's a bone disease that occurs in fast-growing large and giant breed dogs. He was in ICU with a feeding tube for 4.5 days.

Your guy's gas will settle down once he's on the right track with his food. It won't go away though. :D He's a cutie!!!

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
My EB is in a similar situation. He is 4 months old and is weighing 13 lbs. When he came home at 8 weeks old he was 5 lbs. Since then he has been gaining about a pound a week. According to my vet this is an ideal pace. I have recently switched him to Fromm Beef Frittata and was feeding him 1/3 cup 3 times a day. Based on the suggested feeding guidelines this was consistent with his weight. Now after reading this it seems like he is small for his age and I am not feeding him enough. My question is how can I determine what is the right amount to feed him if I am not going by the guidelines on the bag? What are people using as their basis for determining the amount? I understand using his stool as a gauge for knowing if you feed too much but how do I know if I should be at 1/3, 1/2 or a1 cup multiple times a day? Also at what time can I switch him to 2 feedings a day?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ty everyone for advice thus far. I'm getting more confused now. What is the general consensus

Should i just try increasing to 1 cup 2 times/day.

This is my choice^^^^^^ How is he doing today?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with all ,the great advice above. If he can handle more food ,then I would gradually increase until poops are okay. We fed our guys 1 cup of Kibble 3 times a day, until they were 7 months old, and then switched to 1 1/2 cups of Fromms Beef Fritatta twice a day. We also add plain unsweetened or Greek yogurt about 3 times a week, as well we give them treats. They get cut up apples, banana, strawberries, cottage cheese , cheese strings, green beans, and wellness soft chew duck and turkey treats. We also add salmon oil to their food everyday, apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday , and a cranberry pill to prevent bladder infections. The other scenario might be he's just going to be smaller like his mother. Is the vet concerned about his weight? Does he look too skinny? Maybe it's just normal for him. My two are 10 months old, and my female weighs 36 lbs, and my male weighs 38 lbs. They consistently gained 2 lbs at every vet checkup, and have always weighed 2 lbs different from each other. My vet said she's happy with the way they look and that she likes that I keep them a little a little lean. She said you want to see them solid, with a little indent in the waist, and be able to see their ribs, but not feel them.

Here is a picture of my two guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 39
OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
This is my choice^^^^^^ How is he doing today?

I went with the above choice. He is doing well with the increase. Stool looked good and formed last night and again this morning after his morning feeding. I think the soft stool might have been caused by one of the addons i was feeding. Once i took the yogurt, pumpkin, bil jack treats, and kong stuffing out of the equation and only fed kibble, his stool has been looking great. I still may increase a bit more in the weeks to come if everything still looks good.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I agree with all ,the great advice above. If he can handle more food ,then I would gradually increase until poops are okay. We fed our guys 1 cup of Kibble 3 times a day, until they were 7 months old, and then switched to 1 1/2 cups of Fromms Beef Fritatta twice a day. We also add plain unsweetened or Greek yogurt about 3 times a week, as well we give them treats. They get cut up apples, banana, strawberries, cottage cheese , cheese strings, green beans, and wellness soft chew duck and turkey treats. We also add salmon oil to their food everyday, apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday , and a cranberry pill to prevent bladder infections. The other scenario might be he's just going to be smaller like his mother. Is the vet concerned about his weight? Does he look too skinny? Maybe it's just normal for him. My two are 10 months old, and my female weighs 36 lbs, and my male weighs 38 lbs. They consistently gained 2 lbs at every vet checkup, and have always weighed 2 lbs different from each other. My vet said she's happy with the way they look and that she likes that I keep them a little a little lean. She said you want to see them solid, with a little indent in the waist, and be able to see their ribs, but not feel them.

Here is a picture of my two guys.

The Vet thought he looked great and just thought he might just be on the small side. To me, he doesn't look skinny at all. He would probly be around 16-17 lbs now if it werent for his upper respiratory issue he had when he was 7 weeks old. I wasn't able to pick him up until 10 weeks once he was off the antiobiotics. He was 8.5lbs when i got him at almost 10 weeks old.

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
If the vet thinks he looks good, then I wouldn't worry too much, but keep an eye on him, try increasing his food a little at a time as long as poops are not soft or runny. His size may just be normal for him, and that's okay, not every dog is a cookie cutter model of other dogs , and just like children they come in all different sizes. Maybe because he had the health issues at the beginning, he just has to catch up. It sounds like your doing everything for him by asking questions and following up with the vet, so don't worry and keep it up , your doing a great job.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Henry gained 1lb at yesterdays weigh in. I'm giving him 1 cup/twice a day, and a little kibble for training and some in his Kong Wobble which is an awesome product btw. So all together around 2 1/4 cup per day total for the past week. Stools are looking great.

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
My boy was 12 pounds at 11 weeks and now at 18 weeks is a 26 pound monster. On the vet's orders we had upped his food intake 3 weeks ago to 4 1/2 cups a day because he was still too skinny for his massive frame. He doesn't always finish his food though. Your pup looks fine in spite of his small size.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Weight Update-18 weeks old, 17lbs. 3lb gain in a little over a week.
Feeding 2 1/4 cups total/day

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.