CRAZY humping situation

KT221

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Muffin (nickname: "pig", "my baked good")
Hi all,

I've read a lot of the posts regarding various humping situations, but would still love any input on my specific situation.

Miss Muffin was spayed about a month ago. She's a rescue, but I estimate that she's three to four years old. I was hoping that the spay might temper her humping habit, but it didn't (which I realize is not necessarily unusual.) BUT, here's what I mean by "humping habit":

-death grip on my leg with her front legs while standing on her back legs and humping away
-aggressively humping then "spraying" urine at the end
-complete disinterest in ANYTHING else when humping; it's extremely difficult to divert her energy
-time outs are only very moderately helpful

She gets a ton of love when I'm home, but do have a job that keeps me in an office during the work days. Maybe it's attention related?

Does any insight/advice on how to temper this behavior is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much, in advance!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have no idea how to help but wanted to say I hope things get better! Im interested in hearing what every one has to say about this!

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
A stab in the dark on my part, but it may be a dominance related issue. Probably is a dominance issue? I think the best way to start will be to reinforce yourself as the pack leader over her. While I've never read them, (but should and want to get some) several members here swear by the Cesar Milan books. Try to swing by a bookstore/library and find one that helps with technique establishing yourself as pack leader.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
When she starts to do it what EXACTLY do you do??

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I have to tell Bertie NO sometimes too....she will periodically start humping my Cocker Spaniel Dexter.

I say very loudly "Bertie NO!" "Bad Girl!" and she'll stop and I ignore her for a few minutes, so she knows she did bad. Then she is fine.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
A female humping is generally a dominance thing, not a mating thing. If it's a mating thing, it should decrease as the hormones leave her system. It's not a quick process though.

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
I would guess a dominance thing as well. My oldest JRT does this whenever she use to be introduced to a new dog at our house. We had to reteach her in those situations as well as when she was the only one that she is not the pack leader. Good luck

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo humps (or used to - he hasn't done it in a long while now) as a means of processing being over-excited.

I like what Tracy said.

Google NILF "Nothing in Life is Free" and begin assuming the role of pack leader immediately. Do not let her get on / near you or in a position that triggers the humping behavior. Its probably become a "habit" for her now and she'll need to relearn how to behave when she encounters whatever triggers this behavior.

OP
KT221

KT221

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Muffin (nickname: "pig", "my baked good")
Thanks for the advice, everyone! The dominance explanation makes a lot of sense to me.

I've tried to take a cue from Caesar Milan's playbook when she humps. I firmly tell her "no" and hold her down (not meanly or forcefully, but firmly.) I don't let her go until she comes down to my calm energy level. Sometimes this stops it for about a minute. Other times, she immediately goes back to humping. Then, we either start the process all over again, or, if it's really bad, I will put her in the kitchen with a gate up for 15-20 minutes. When she comes out, she'll be fine for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, but then will start again later.

Hopefully, with consistent work she'll show improvement. I'm going to continue learning about dog behavior and training too...always more to learn!

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: she's trying to show you who's boss I would stop it as soon as she jumps up on your leg good luck I've never had a dog hump me my female used to hump my male all the time until he passed now with Franklin she doesn't hump him he humps her all the time she just got over her heat he wasn't as bad as my last male Diesol he was out of control he would sit a shake not eat for the last 2 weeks you could stick your arm down his throat cause he was panting so bad an then when he was humping he would stop breathing he would turn blue it was crazy I miss my my baby love you diesol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.