My Puppy Talks Back

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Thanks fOr the mention [MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION]: yes, we have our very own "jaws" living amongst us! You should see my arms and legs- FULL of tiny bite marks. Sometimes I just don't see it coming! We got hysterical last night as we realized Ed was on one couch and I was on the other, both of us with our feet tucked up under us as far as they would go while our little biting machine was running circles around the couches just like Jaws circled those small boats! We were being held hostage by an 11 week old puppy!! Wouldn't trade it for the world!!!

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
Good topic, you mentioned treats, with all the other pets I had in the past I gave them whatever. But I am concerned about what can affect her health so I haven't purchased any treats yet. Which ones do you use and suggest? Thanks for mentioning that.

Well, I cheat a little and often use kibble, but a different brand and flavor from her normal food. Her regular diet is Fromm Gold Adult, but her "treats" are Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast. I do give little bits of banana or apple if I'm having it or an occasional bit of carrot. When we're actually having a training session, though, I use the kibble because it's easy to put a handful in my pocket, it's quicker for her to eat it so we can move on, and you can easily adjust her food if she has had more treats during her "workouts." As long as she thinks it's special, it works for me, and a 15 pound bag of good kibble is a huge savings on a few-ounce bag of premium treats. At bedtime, Clara will also do absolutely anything for her spoonful of pumpkin, which she absolutely must have if she's sleeping anywhere near hubby and me, lol.

Sent via Tapatalk on my S3

Last edited:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
LOL, teach her to sit, stay or anything right now is HELL! I wanted to wait until she was about 3 1/2 months to start training. She does know what "come" or "get out the kitchen" means. She has become my second job. She is very playful! Even when she frustrates me, I am laughing on the inside. Her little sharkie teeth are out of control. I have taught her not to chew on anything but her toys, as far as furniture and shoes. So THANK GOD about that part, forbid she murders the wife's Steve Madden's. ha ha ha

Watch out for Uggs and other plushy type women's boots Bacon was a connoisseur of them. He wouldn't touch my cheap shoes but Jen's nice one's forget about it.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
JUST SAW THIS! I am still not good at checking my notifications. So I'm always a little late. But THANK YOU!!!!

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Omg toooooooooo cute :) I love little Sasha fierce :) she has a spike tail too huh???? My girl does too ;) I love watching it wag n she still does the bully butt wiggle too ;)!!!!! Ill say she thinks u r playing lol u don't sound too threatening even with the crutches video "ur about to get beat" lol she was saying yeah right dad n I laughed :p lol!!!!!!!! Everyone is right just ignore her when she barks :) if u speak to her u encourage her n then it's a game!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
My Daisy is a big talker. It's usually just happy prattle talking. She doesn't "talk back" except in one situation. If I'm trying to get her to go potty, and she really can't just then, she'll start barking at me to let me know. It's definite barks rather than her typical growly howly talky voice. I love it when I recognize actual communication between us!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
She's having fun and it's a game. Look at all that play bowing that's going on with the barking. So cute!

I think the less sound you use the better with this one. She likes to chit chat!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bogey is a big "sassy barker" too! If we are trying to redirect him, he starts barking- and yes, we do try to ignore it. I have walked away, and if he nips at my heel, he gets one chance to redirect, or it's in the crate! This has worked tremendously! He comes out very calm and on occasion, it is only a matter of time before his parole is up and he is back in the pokey, but we are consistant with this. I truly believe that these little guys (and gals) have so much pent up puppy energy, that it comes out in the form of barking, nipping, lunging, etc. I do not think it is aggressiveness at all, but if it is met with aggressiveness, then it will be a problem later on. We try to minimize all of the outbursts, even the biting. Attention is attention, whether it is negative or positive, so I don't want him to act up just to get some! We are seeing a big difference with him in the last week. He still tries to nip our feet at times, but I am seeing some signs of restraint too! He will go to bite and almost catch himself, and circle (usually my foot) and bark at it, but if he does not go for the bite, he gets a big praise and a treat! I loved the video- and so did Bogey! He was in a sound sleep and when he heard it, he came barking into the kitchen!! LOL!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I had a bully breed who used to love to bark at us. She was redirected with a "sit" and treat, but outsmarted us. After a while she'd start barking--knowing a treat was in the near future. She'd race us to the treats as soon as she got the quiet command. They're so darned smart! :crazy:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Good topic, you mentioned treats, with all the other pets I had in the past I gave them whatever. But I am concerned about what can affect her health so I haven't purchased any treats yet. Which ones do you use and suggest? Thanks for mentioning that.

She's a stinker but so adorable
:lmaogirl:, I agree w/the less talking to her the better, lol

@PapaSmurf...is giving his Gracie a soft boiled egg w/shell on, she loves to play w/it
then eat it, great source of calcium, also...a perfect food.

Water packed small sardines, 1 or 2 at a time, are great snacks too. A teasp of canned
pumpkin, not the pie filling, is very good.

If she's not allergic to dairy then a dollop of plain yogurt or a cube of sharp cheddar.

All above should be organic of course
:2thumbs:
Please send more pics and videos...I love her so much!

Most Reactions